Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wanting lockers!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting lockers!!!

So I have an X that isnt exactly an X anymore but I am wanting to add lockers, I was thinking about an aussie locker just because it seems fairly simple yet I have no idea what im talking about, I have tried to run a search but nothing really came up for what im looking for. I am trying to find out what all is needed to add lockers and what kind would you recomend?

-david
Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

ARB lockers is a good investment.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

what is all is needed and how hard is the install for ARB's?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

x2 on the ARBs.

I assume you have a D30. You can also get an Auburn ECTED locker too. They are similar to the e-lockers on the Rubi.

Since you are doing the locker you may want to consider changing gears if you haven't done so already.

IMO I would also do the EVO Mag 44s and C2 gussets since it will be all apart to begin with. Also dont for get chromoly axles.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

You can get away with a full locker or "lunch box" for the rear since you shouldnt drive in snow, but I suggest a selectable for the front axle. Whether it be an Arb or an E-locker, just my .02 cents.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

redneck, where are you?

I think you need to understand what a 'locker' is first, then understand that there are many different styles that function slightly differently to achieve the 'locked' function, and produced by many different manufacturers. Though you may have searched this forum, did you search google for some answers?
A 'simple' locker install can be accomplished by the DIY home wrench turner, providing they are well researched in the matter and mechanically inclined.
The ARB lockers people are discussing are air actuated lockers. When not engaged they function as open differentials which is perfect for day to day street driving, to engage the lockers an on board air system is required, and must be plumbed to the differentials to provide the air to engage the locking mechanism on the differential. Then you'll have equal power being delivered to both axles from that diff.
Some lockers such as the stock Rubicon lockers engage electromagnetically, open when off, spooled when on.
When it comes to autolockers I'll defer to guys like redneck to help you out, he'll explain them alot better than I.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default lockers

from what i was told a while ago lockers keep the axles from spinning over a certain rpm or dont let it go too high so it keeps it steady so you dont spin which creates traction. what exactly is it doing inside there???? always wanted to know more abotu this also
Old 10-16-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marcoseddi
from what i was told a while ago lockers keep the axles from spinning over a certain rpm or dont let it go too high so it keeps it steady so you dont spin which creates traction. what exactly is it doing inside there???? always wanted to know more abotu this also
Woah...no.

A locker simply 'locks' both axel shafts together(drivers side and passengers side, don't be confused with front and rear), like a spool (no differentiating at all) this provides both axel shafts an equal amount of power from the engine, and they will spin at an identical speed. Unlike an open differential which allows one each tire to spin at a different speed when cornering (differentiating), that's why you don't hop and bounce all over the road when turning corners right now....hop in a rubicon and lock the diffs and turn the corner...your inside wheel will hop and bounce all over because it's spinning at the same rate as the outside tire, but the outside tire has a greater arc to travel than the inside, the inside tire has a shorter distance to travel but because it's spinning at the same rate as the outside tire over a shorter distance it's gonna hop and spin on the road to keep up. Which is why they invented selectable and auto lockers

Last edited by BlackNorthernJK; 10-16-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was hoping to run across a thread about this even though I haven't actively searched for one, yet. I'd like to do this at some time in the future, after I get some wheeling experience first. And to be honest, it's not like I expext to be doing anything extreme, I'd just like to have the experience of trying something like this.

My main concern has already been mentioned. I wouldn't think you'd want to throw lockers on an X without beefing up the axles. Or, are the axles strong enough to use as long as you don't go crazy?

Oh, and I watch Etreme 4X4 almost every weekend. Does that qualify me as a DIY home wrench turner?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Black

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Woah...no.

A locker simply 'locks' both axel shafts together(drivers side and passengers side, don't be confused with front and rear), like a spool (no differentiating at all) this provides both axel shafts an equal amount of power from the engine, and they will spin at an identical speed. Unlike an open differential which allows one each tire to spin at a different speed when cornering (differentiating), that's why you don't hop and bounce all over the road when turning corners right now....hop in a rubicon and lock the diffs and turn the corner...your inside wheel will hop and bounce all over because it's spinning at the same rate as the outside tire, but the outside tire has a greater arc to travel than the inside, the inside tire has a shorter distance to travel but because it's spinning at the same rate as the outside tire over a shorter distance it's gonna hop and spin on the road to keep up. Which is why they invented selectable and auto lockers
Dude thanks alot definietly cleared that up for me. I bet you guys can guess who old me that????

Jeep salesman when I bought my jeep 2 years ago total tool I kind o wish I got a Rubi...

Quick Reply: wanting lockers!!!