Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Weird warning light behavior

Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phljeeper
Just pulled my grounded winch cable off my battery and may have found the culprit. The nut that tightens the cable to the battery doesn't properly tighten down when something is attached. I moved the cable to the other post and haven't seen the issue since. Lets root for this being the issue.
Im glad you found the culprit...lol.

did you read my post

SOLVED.... my case at least, you are not gonna believe this one. After countless hours of research I thought maybe my winch is causing the problem so I went to disconnect it from the battery terminals and guess what.
The positive terminal was lose, the nut was tight but the terminal loose.. Why...
Because I put the winch terminals over it and the nut has a conical flange and will not tighten the terminal with another conector on top of it.
So to those of you who just added extra connections to the main stud... REMOVE THEM, then tighten the battery terminals again and you should see they won't move...... No problems ever since.

My 2 cents
Old 06-11-2013, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkmadness
Im glad you found the culprit...lol.

did you read my post

SOLVED.... my case at least, you are not gonna believe this one. After countless hours of research I thought maybe my winch is causing the problem so I went to disconnect it from the battery terminals and guess what.
The positive terminal was lose, the nut was tight but the terminal loose.. Why...
Because I put the winch terminals over it and the nut has a conical flange and will not tighten the terminal with another conector on top of it.
So to those of you who just added extra connections to the main stud... REMOVE THEM, then tighten the battery terminals again and you should see they won't move...... No problems ever since.

My 2 cents
Same thing with my 2012 sport. Terminals were tight at the nut but moved side to side from accessaries being attached to stock terminals. Only thing different was my battery was dead and had to be replaced.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black-Shadow
Same thing with my 2012 sport. Terminals were tight at the nut but moved side to side from accessaries being attached to stock terminals. Only thing different was my battery was dead and had to be replaced.
I'm glad we are finally making light of this, it was driving me nuts
Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dash was lighting up like crazy this morning. I happened to be very close to the dealership and was able to stop in while the traction control light was on. I also had a video on my phone showing all the lights flashing. The Service Adviser had a good idea what the problem was. He had them run the diagnostics and found a C1000 code. He replaced the brake light switch and so far no problems. We'll see if this takes care of it.

Info from my invoice:

A CUSTOMER STATES THAT TRACTION CONTROL LIGHTS COMES ON SHORTLY AFTER DRIVING AND OTHER TRACTION RELATED LIGHTS COME ON RANDOMLY (RED BRAKE LIGHT, ESP/BAS, AND ABS) - CHECK AND ADVISE

CAUSE: INTERNAL SWITCH PERFORMANCE
08808401 Switch/sensor, brake pedal - Test and replace
697 W95
1 4671336AD SWITCH-STOP LAMP
FC: 14
PART#: 4671336AD
COUNT: 1
CLAIM TYPE: W

FOUND FAULT CODE C1000 BRAKE SWITCH PERFORMANCE. REPLACED BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH AND TESTED OPERATION. ALL IS OK AT THIS TIME.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I would have never guessed that one, but I hope it works for you.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
My dash was lighting up like crazy this morning. I happened to be very close to the dealership and was able to stop in while the traction control light was on. I also had a video on my phone showing all the lights flashing. The Service Adviser had a good idea what the problem was. He had them run the diagnostics and found a C1000 code. He replaced the brake light switch and so far no problems. We'll see if this takes care of it.

Info from my invoice:

A CUSTOMER STATES THAT TRACTION CONTROL LIGHTS COMES ON SHORTLY AFTER DRIVING AND OTHER TRACTION RELATED LIGHTS COME ON RANDOMLY (RED BRAKE LIGHT, ESP/BAS, AND ABS) - CHECK AND ADVISE

CAUSE: INTERNAL SWITCH PERFORMANCE08808401 Switch/sensor, brake pedal - Test and replace
697 W95
1 4671336AD SWITCH-STOP LAMP
FC: 14
PART#: 4671336AD
COUNT: 1
CLAIM TYPE: W

FOUND FAULT CODE C1000 BRAKE SWITCH PERFORMANCE. REPLACED BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH AND TESTED OPERATION. ALL IS OK AT THIS TIME.
Same thing the dealer said on mine. My code hit was for the brake sensor on the brake pedal. Seems like when the ground cable is loose the computer goes haywire.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi

Turns out I still have the issue. I am going to disconnect and reconnect the battery this weekend, check the ground on the chassis and fuse box. I am also going to remove the rear brake lights to see if there is a chaffed wire.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

All my lights went off today while I was sitting still idling in the parking lot. Then the check engine light came on.
I swear these electrical gremlins suck.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

I actually had the same problem on my 12 jkur. My issue was that I installed an spod which connects to PCM module and to same screw that has a ground. Once I removed the spod unit I had no issues for like two weeks already. So basically in my case it was a ground on the PCM module.
Hope it helps
Old 06-14-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

This solved it for me: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...-issues-74829/

Quick Reply: Weird warning light behavior