Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Well, the 2012 is a total... need some advice on my next steps

Old 05-08-2017, 07:12 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoQuarter#121
I asked the tow truck driver at the scene and he said I would be unable to "un bolt anything from the truck". Its now in a wrecking yard. I was not interested in forcing the issue. .

Man that sucks because you know exactly what that wrecking yard will probably do......they'll pull your aftermarket parts themselves after they buy the totaled rig for pennies from the insurance co.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

They will cover fair market value and up to $1000 for extra stuff.
Yeah, it shouldn't be a huge surprise that they don't want to cover everything. If you are paying a set premium for, say, a jeep worth $30,000, you can't really expect them to fork over $40,000 for the aftermarket parts they didn't know about. The parts that weren't written into the policy. The parts that they were 'not' being paid to cover. Your best bet is just to do the legwork and hope your adjuster and/or shop can work it out with the other company to accept your reciepts.

Haven't looked at my policy in a few years, but I think I'm paying something like 8 or 10 bucks to cover an extra 10k worth of aftermarket junk.

Last edited by nthinuf; 05-08-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Location: 2nd star to the right, and straight on 'til morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yeah, it shouldn't be a huge surprise that they don't want to cover everything. If you are paying a set premium for, say, a jeep worth $30,000, you can't really expect them to fork over $40,000 for the aftermarket parts they didn't know about. The parts that weren't written into the policy. The parts that they were 'not' being paid to cover. Your best bet is just to do the legwork and hope your adjuster and/or shop can work it out with the other company to accept your reciepts.

Haven't looked at my policy in a few years, but I think I'm paying something like 8 or 10 bucks to cover an extra 10k worth of aftermarket junk.
I'm no bozo.
Got advice?
Please share it.
I am not looking for a lecture on how insurance riders work.
I understand perfectly about insurance riders, and have on occasion availed myself when the rarity or expense of the machinery warranted.

I don't expect MY insurance company to pay anything.
WE WERE NOT AT FAULT.

What I do expect, is for them to help THEIR CLIENT (with several high end vehicles insured) recoup MY losses from THE AT FAULT driver or his insurance company so they don't have to PAY ANYTHING.

I was hoping someone out here has had some experience with this and could save me some time, frustration and maybe some money.

Its only round 1.
I have no doubt I shall ultimately prevail.
Its just very frustrating.

On another tangent, wish I could blow my customers off, protected by a law that dictates they must pay for my services anyway.

lobbyists... another rant, for another time.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no bozo.
Got advice?
Please share it.
I am not looking for a lecture on how insurance riders work.
I understand perfectly about insurance riders, and have on occasion availed myself when the rarity or expense of the machinery warranted.

I don't expect MY insurance company to pay anything.
WE WERE NOT AT FAULT.

What I do expect, is for them to help THEIR CLIENT (with several high end vehicles insured) recoup MY losses from THE AT FAULT driver or his insurance company so they don't have to PAY ANYTHING.

I was hoping someone out here has had some experience with this and could save me some time, frustration and maybe some money.

Its only round 1.
I have no doubt I shall ultimately prevail.
Its just very frustrating.

On another tangent, wish I could blow my customers off, protected by a law that dictates they must pay for my services anyway.

lobbyists... another rant, for another time.

Didn't realize that it was that destroyed. What a bummer.

In my experience, generally the insurance company will cave, but you have to work em. Like I said, gather everything you can as far as receipts go. Take pictures of the aftermarket parts and line them up with corresponding printouts from online to show the value. You can have a shop put together a quote with those parts plus labor. If you bought everything from one place and can show the physical invoice, all the better. It may require legwork, but you can generally get them to move, especially with it not being your son's fault. Don't give up!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trail Jeeps
Didn't realize that it was that destroyed. What a bummer.

In my experience, generally the insurance company will cave, but you have to work em. Like I said, gather everything you can as far as receipts go. Take pictures of the aftermarket parts and line them up with corresponding printouts from online to show the value. You can have a shop put together a quote with those parts plus labor. If you bought everything from one place and can show the physical invoice, all the better. It may require legwork, but you can generally get them to move, especially with it not being your son's fault. Don't give up!
I wish I could post the pictures...

AND THE VIDEO!!!!!

My friend owns the country store where the intersection is located.
Due to too many vandals breaking into his neat little old fashion country grocery store he has put up a pretty elaborate video security system.
There is a very clear video of the other drivers actions, the impact and my jeep rolling out of frame.
Its just freaking awesome.

Round 2.
The other drivers insurance wanted to interview my 17 yr old son.
When I pressed the adjuster about it, she admitted that they have an alternate witness that says its not their fault.
They were fishing for a way to trick him into collaborative testimony.
I sorta lost my temper and denied the interview and told her that all further communication shall be through my attorneys office (and gave them the contact info to start that side of the process)

We have in order of appearance:

My son, who states the obvious.
The dude ran the sign and hit me in your JEEP Dad, sorry, I cant believe you are not pissed.

County Sherriff issuing a failure to yield ticket and testifying to me that they spoke with an eye witness that said clear cut, other driver was at fault .

A VIDEO SHOWING THE WHOLE ENCHILADA!

Awesome.

I have gone from pissed and discouraged to excited and aggressive.
F the Mother Fing Frs.

This is gonna be fun.

I'll keep you posted.

Lazlo unleashed!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, we have a pretty extensive file with all of the receipts from the window sticker all the way to the 3 lockable storage boxes I put under the seats and in the bed last month.

Shouldn't be too hard to prove the expenses.

I just wish the Insurance companies would have worked a little with me.

I have used Lazlo before.
He is just plain MEAN.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

I wish I could post the pictures...

AND THE VIDEO!!!!!

My friend owns the country store where the intersection is located.
Due to too many vandals breaking into his neat little old fashion country grocery store he has put up a pretty elaborate video security system.
There is a very clear video of the other drivers actions, the impact and my jeep rolling out of frame.
Its just freaking awesome.

Round 2.
The other drivers insurance wanted to interview my 17 yr old son.
When I pressed the adjuster about it, she admitted that they have an alternate witness that says its not their fault.
They were fishing for a way to trick him into collaborative testimony.
I sorta lost my temper and denied the interview and told her that all further communication shall be through my attorneys office (and gave them the contact info to start that side of the process)

We have in order of appearance:

My son, who states the obvious.
The dude ran the sign and hit me in your JEEP Dad, sorry, I cant believe you are not pissed.

County Sherriff issuing a failure to yield ticket and testifying to me that they spoke with an eye witness that said clear cut, other driver was at fault .

A VIDEO SHOWING THE WHOLE ENCHILADA!

Awesome.

I have gone from pissed and discouraged to excited and aggressive.
F the Mother Fing Frs.

This is gonna be fun.

I'll keep you posted.

Lazlo unleashed!
I'm a law enforcement officer in Texas and I used to supervise an accident reconstruction unit for a large police department which dealt with 70+ traffic fatalities a year. I dealt with this stuff through our victims/families quite a bit. My advice - be careful what you say or don't say to anyone, including your insurance company and other insurance companies. I recommend that you reach out to a local attorney and figure out what your options are. You will be better represented, and like a previous poster mentioned, there are things such as pain and suffering, lost wages, etc... that you will not get the best settlement for without legal representation. If this is a big settlement, accident reconstruction is likely, and you want someone there to ensure the correct interpretation is applied for this part of the process.

You would think the insurance companies would fight tooth and nail for you, but EVERYTHING comes down to money. If they are spending too much money, without recovering any costs from you or anyone else for legal fees, why would they invest so much time with you? Hence - why you need someone trained to work in this environment and will be working FOR you.

From my experience, if your son was not injured, it was obvious he was wearing his seatbelt. That little strap is so important when you get into the physics of a traffic collision.

Good luck in this process and I hope everything works out.

Quick Reply: Well, the 2012 is a total... need some advice on my next steps