Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Coilover Spring Rate do I need?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Coilover Spring Rate do I need?

Hey there, I was wondering if you could tell me what spring rates you are running on your 12" coilovers. I recently put on (Fox 2.0 12" coilovers) with a weld in kit, and they recommended 200# top and 300# lower spring. I had to crank down about 6.0" of threads on the front, and 6.75" of threads on the rear to get it to ride level, but it sags pretty good when I load the kids in the back. I haven't even had a chance to take it offroad yet with all my trail tools and gear. Any advice?

I would prefer a smother ride over stiff, but also need it to ride equal to about a 5" lift height.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vandegrift
Hey there, I was wondering if you could tell me what spring rates you are running on your 12" coilovers. I recently put on (Fox 2.0 12" coilovers) with a weld in kit, and they recommended 200# top and 300# lower spring. I had to crank down about 6.0" of threads on the front, and 6.75" of threads on the rear to get it to ride level, but it sags pretty good when I load the kids in the back. I haven't even had a chance to take it offroad yet with all my trail tools and gear. Any advice?

I would prefer a smother ride over stiff, but also need it to ride equal to about a 5" lift height.
Tell us about your mods. Bumpers, winch, etc etc. Knowing that will help determine your suggested spring weight.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Smittybilt XRC front bumper with a XRC10 winch (synthetic line)
Cut down Stock Jeep Rear Swing Tire Carrier with a 35" BFG KM2
Smittybilt Sliders
Cut/ Trimmed OEM fender flares
Rancho Tube doors - running them since 2009
COP 4X4 Nack Attack and bikini Top

Not running hardtop or doors anytime soon, as I live in Hawaii

Do carry about an extra 100 - 150 lbs of tools and gear in the back when I go wheeling, and may have around 300 lbs worth or bodies in the Jeep. That is if I can get the kids and wife to go with me, but that is hit and miss.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

bump???????
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vandegrift
Smittybilt XRC front bumper with a XRC10 winch (synthetic line)
Cut down Stock Jeep Rear Swing Tire Carrier with a 35" BFG KM2
Smittybilt Sliders
Cut/ Trimmed OEM fender flares
Rancho Tube doors - running them since 2009
COP 4X4 Nack Attack and bikini Top

Not running hardtop or doors anytime soon, as I live in Hawaii

Do carry about an extra 100 - 150 lbs of tools and gear in the back when I go wheeling, and may have around 300 lbs worth or bodies in the Jeep. That is if I can get the kids and wife to go with me, but that is hit and miss.
Your Jeep is a bit lighter than most others out there. Just sent your our suggested specs via PM.

Quick Reply: What Coilover Spring Rate do I need?