Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What do I need for a re-gear?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need for a re-gear?

Hey guys,

I know this has been asked hundreds of times before, but i just want to verify before i buy anything so bear with me. I am looking to re-gear my 2008 Jeep Jk to 4.88; it is the base x model, 2 door. There are no upgrades except a 2.5 inch budget boost and 35's. I have a way of installing the gears for cheap, however I need to supply the gears and other parts. Can someone please give me a link to an affordable kit? or a list of parts that i will need to purchase?

Thanks for the help!!!
Matt
Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my gears through northridge 4x4.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I got mine from 4ws.com, they were the best priced I could find. The brand they sent me Yukon. Make sure you get master overhaul kits with the gears. If you have 3.21 gears now you will need a carrier.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

A cheap install can turn very expensive if done by someone who doesn't have the knowledge or who won't take the time to do it right. Proper gear alignment, backlash and bearing pre-load are critical.

If you have a 2008 X with 3.21 gears you will need to replace the front carrier.

If you're replacing the front carrier anyway why not put in a locker (TrueTrac)?

If you have many miles on the existing axles you will want to use a "major overhaul kit" which includes new bearings, races, pinion seals, shims and crush sleeves. You WILL have to replace the crush sleeves. They are not reusable.

To that add front seals because they can only be changed with the carrier out.

Since the front axles will be out anyway, why not change/upgrade the U-Joints and Ball Joints?

While the Ball Joints are out why not weld on gussets?

Oh. And be sure to get a couple of those little plastic front axle spacers thingies in case the originals ones are broken, worn or lost.

I think that about covers it.

Now relax and have a while you figure out how to finance this project.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

My install will be done by a certified mechanic who does regears for a living. Sorry I should have clarified on cheaper haha. So I will need a carrier as well? How much is a carrier? And where can I get one from? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
A cheap install can turn very expensive if done by someone who doesn't have the knowledge or who won't take the time to do it right. Proper gear alignment, backlash and bearing pre-load are critical.

If you have a 2008 X with 3.21 gears you will need to replace the front carrier.

If you're replacing the front carrier anyway why not put in a locker (TrueTrac)?

If you have many miles on the existing axles you will want to use a "major overhaul kit" which includes new bearings, races, pinion seals, shims and crush sleeves. You WILL have to replace the crush sleeves. They are not reusable.

To that add front seals because they can only be changed with the carrier out.

Since the front axles will be out anyway, why not change/upgrade the U-Joints and Ball Joints?

While the Ball Joints are out why not weld on gussets?

Oh. And be sure to get a couple of those little plastic front axle spacers thingies in case the originals ones are broken, worn or lost.

I think that about covers it.

Now relax and have a while you figure out how to finance this project.
and with all that stuff out anyway why not replace the axle with a d44
Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

If you have 3.21 gears you will a carrier. If you have 3.73 gears you won't need it. What type of transmission do you have? Most standards are 3.21 and autos are 3.73.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blue project
If you have 3.21 gears you will a carrier. If you have 3.73 gears you won't need it. What type of transmission do you have? Most standards are 3.21 and autos are 3.73.
I have an automatic transmission... Not sure if that helps haha
Old 02-12-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly the only way to tell what Eurasia you have would be to check yourself

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate my phone. you can check yourself jack up the front, one wheel. Put a mark on the tire and put a mark on your driveshaft or yoke parallel to the ground. Turn the wheel two times and count the number of times the driveshaft turns to give your ratio for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: What do I need for a re-gear?