Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What extra gauges have you added to your JK?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysmarlow
How did you install the oil pressure gauge? Did you replace the stock oil pressure sending unit? Where did you get the adapter for the "cubby" hole between the air vents?
That is the mounting plate that comes with those gauges. Looks like he just slid it into that spot. Depends on whether or not you have electric window switches in that place or not.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Here's some pics and a write-up I did on adding an oil pressure gauge: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...5/#post4332264

Old 02-14-2019, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the link to your write up. That was very helpful. I have been trying to figure out if I should tap power wires under the dash or extend long wires out to the fuse box under the hood and use fuse adapters. I do have a hot wire inside that I use to power an auxillary 12 volt connector which is switched, so I may connect the power lead there. It doesn't look like from the pictures that this install was in a 3.6l where the sending unit is buried under the intake. After a lot of research, I am going to use this part https://www.moparessentialtools.com/...008&type=tools to add the oil pressure sending unit to the top of the oil filter cover, which will keep me from having to disassemble the intake to get to the sending unit. It will also allow me to keep the stock sending unit in place for the idiot light. This part is only available from this one retailer and cost me about $92 with shipping, but I think it will be worth it not to have to deal with dismantling the intake. GlowShift has confirmed that this will work for a sending unit. There are 150+ people on the waiting list to get this part, so I am not the only one that has figured this out. Any other suggestions you can make on wiring will be greatly appreciated. I am going to install a voltmeter and an oil pressure gauge on the A-pillar so my JK will have the same gauges my 94 YJ used to have.

The part mentioned above leaked! I tried 3 of them and they all leaked in the same spot where the sending unit screws into the top. Apparently they are only intended as a temporary way to check your oil pressure, not for permanent installation. I ended up removing the upper and lower intake and putting a t-fitting in and installing a second oil pressure sending unit, that is connected to my TrailDash2.

Last edited by jaysmarlow; 03-31-2021 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Lightbulb

Hi Jay -- Since the 3.6L already has an oil pressure sender connected to the PCM, an easy way to read oil pressure, along with a lot more, is with an OBDII connected gauge like the Aeroforce. The only wiring is a plug-in to the OBD connector (lower left under dash) for power and everything.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Hi Jay -- Since the 3.6L already has an oil pressure sender connected to the PCM, an easy way to read oil pressure, along with a lot more, is with an OBDII connected gauge like the Aeroforce. The only wiring is a plug-in to the OBD connector (lower left under dash) for power and everything.
I do have a Superchips TrailCal. After spending $400 on it mostly so I could easily get an oil pressure gauge and voltage gauge I found out that it does not give you the option for an oil pressure gauge if you do not have the upgraded gauge package from the factory (which would let you view the oil pressure in the dash display) because it does not have the correct oil pressure sending unit. There are 2 different sending units, one for a gauge and one for the warning light. When you attach the TrailCal to a laptop with USB is has Engine Oil Pressure as an available gauge, but once you hook it up to the ODB that option disappears if you do not have the correct sending unit. It does have a voltage gauge. I knew there were 2 different types of sending units due to chronic problems with aftermarket sending units in my old YJ (always use a mopar sending unit) but I hoped that the TrailCal would still be able to display the gauge but I was wrong. To get to the oil pressure sending unit you have to remove the upper and lower intake manifold and the fuel rails, which I could do, but don't really want to. I will still probably keep the TrailCal due to its other features, but now I am going to install voltage and oil pressure gauges in an A-Pillar pod from GlowShift. That is what I always wanted from the start but until now could not figure out an easy way to do it.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

I do have a Superchips TrailCal. After spending $400 on it mostly so I could easily get an oil pressure gauge and voltage gauge I found out that it does not give you the option for an oil pressure gauge if you do not have the upgraded gauge package from the factory (which would let you view the oil pressure in the dash display) because it does not have the correct oil pressure sending unit. There are 2 different sending units, one for a gauge and one for the warning light. When you attach the TrailCal to a laptop with USB is has Engine Oil Pressure as an available gauge, but once you hook it up to the ODB that option disappears if you do not have the correct sending unit. It does have a voltage gauge. I knew there were 2 different types of sending units due to chronic problems with aftermarket sending units in my old YJ (always use a mopar sending unit) but I hoped that the TrailCal would still be able to display the gauge but I was wrong. To get to the oil pressure sending unit you have to remove the upper and lower intake manifold and the fuel rails, which I could do, but don't really want to. I will still probably keep the TrailCal due to its other features, but now I am going to install voltage and oil pressure gauges in an A-Pillar pod from GlowShift. That is what I always wanted from the start but until now could not figure out an easy way to do it.
Interesting, thought they had put a sender on all the 3.6L engines too. On a side note: If the space to mount an oil pressure sender is tight, suggest looking at the type I used in the writeup -- probably half the size of the traditional (and twice the price).

Old 02-15-2019, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I have an Aeroforce, and my dash does not read our oil pressure from the factory. The Aeroforce does read the oil pressure.

I have mine mounted in the A-pillar, and I leave it on oil reassure and coolant temp.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 03-31-2021, 03:49 PM
W22
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know the best spot to tap a boost gauge?
Old 03-31-2021, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Follow up on my own thread. I did end up removing the upper and lower intake and installing a t-fitting using commonly available copper fittings from Ace Hardware and installed the oil pressure sending unit from Superchips/TrailDash2. It is installed into the rear of the oil reservoir. So my Jeep now has 2 sending units, 1 for the factory warning light, and one for the Superchips/TrailDash 2. It was a lot of work, but it has been working fine for months.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

https://www.moparessentialtools.com/...008&type=tools This part from MOPAR leaked! I had them send me a total of 3 of them, and they all leaked where the fitting for the sending unit screws in. These parts are for a quick check of your oil pressure and are not intended to be permanently installed. I ended up removing the upper and lower intake and putting a t-fitting in and installing a second oil pressure sending unit, that is connected to my TrailDash2.

Last edited by jaysmarlow; 03-31-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: What extra gauges have you added to your JK?