Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is this thing under my dash panel?!?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the heck is this thing under my dash panel?!?

So i went to install my daystar dash panel tonight and run across two problems...

#1 Underneath the panel theres the compass screwed into the stock panel but there was also another box similar in size to the compas that was stuck on dash itself and had 2 wires coming out of it... I swear it said "Airward" on it but i just google searched that and nothing came back so maybe i'm wrong. The new daystar panel wouldn't fit with that "airward" box on it so I unscrewed the stereo pulled it off and then stuffed that "airward" box down in the dash by the glove box. Anyone have any clue what the heck that thing is!??!?!

#2 The daystar panel doesn't seem to fit great... i of course lost one of the metal tabs off the stock panel so I only have one and since the fit isn't great the panel won't stay down in the back, it pops up. Even if i had the other metal tab im not even sure they're strong enough to hold it down... Can i get a good set of metal tabs somewhere or is there a better solution?

thanks!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

I believe that is your compass
Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

If you need one of those metal tabs (I lost one of mine down in the dash) pull off the front panel. They use the same size clips. I used one of them since the front panel also has screws holding it on.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRockStomper
I believe that is your compass
but my compass is screwed into the panel, this is a completely seperate box..
Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DuDz40VT
So i went to install my daystar dash panel tonight and run across two problems...

#1 Underneath the panel theres the compass screwed into the stock panel but there was also another box similar in size to the compas that was stuck on dash itself and had 2 wires coming out of it... I swear it said "Airward" on it but i just google searched that and nothing came back so maybe i'm wrong. The new daystar panel wouldn't fit with that "airward" box on it so I unscrewed the stereo pulled it off and then stuffed that "airward" box down in the dash by the glove box. Anyone have any clue what the heck that thing is!??!?!

#2 The daystar panel doesn't seem to fit great... i of course lost one of the metal tabs off the stock panel so I only have one and since the fit isn't great the panel won't stay down in the back, it pops up. Even if i had the other metal tab im not even sure they're strong enough to hold it down... Can i get a good set of metal tabs somewhere or is there a better solution?

thanks!
The "airward" piece i believe is your sirus radio transmitter.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

2 new clips are in the mail Good Karma
Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the sirius antenna was mounted up on the roll bar
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2? I thought it was on the driver's side of the roll bar. Learn something new everyday, I guess.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK07X
x2? I thought it was on the driver's side of the roll bar. Learn something new everyday, I guess.
Passenger side
Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Could they have changed the location of the SAT antenna as a cost savings? Less cable and easier to install?

Quick Reply: What the heck is this thing under my dash panel?!?