Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Lift do I want

Old 07-30-2007, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Lift do I want

Since this is my first Wrangler I am dumb to a lot of this. I have a 2dr 07 Rubi that will be driven mainly on the road. However!! A big However!!!: if I'm out and about and see a trail that I want to try I want to be able to try it. I also hunt and sometimes find myself somewhere that I could drive if I had the vehicle so I want the option. I don't know the difference between long arm lifts or whatever. I also read about pinion angles and such and am at a loss. A neighbor just put a BDS 3" on his and I am thinking I want a little more. Possibly a 4". I have read until my eyes and brain hurt about lifts and am still confused. I realize this is probably a hard question to answer but ...... what does everyone suggest?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

what your pocket allows, we could tell you what to get, or what not to get, i have heard above 3 inch sus lift you need drive angle changes, track bar changes ect. like i said its up to your wallet not ours. good luck
Old 07-30-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

That's what I'm talkin about. Is 3" a pretty decent amount that will allow good articulation and clearance? Or is 4" a better without having to worry about "drive angle " problems. Hey, Wayof Life, chime in here. What about the long arm kits? Like I said, I'm new to "Wranglers. I NEEEEEEED HEEEELP:toung:
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

What size tires will you be running? If you're not doing any serious offroading (rockcrawling, etc), then I wouldn't worry too much about a bigger lift and huge tires. I find myself in the same boat as you (but my intention IS to be off road, just nothing crazy at this time), so I went with 33's and a 2.5" BB. The 2.5 offers the ability to switch to 35's if I desire.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

i also went with the 2.5bb from tera give plenty of clearence and a good stance, but your axles will be out of track alittle. check out the pics on my jk project page that is with stock tires i"m shooting for 33 toyo open countrys.
not a lot of big rocks on the coast.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

I already have 33's stock. Maybe I'll only go 35's eventually, I just want to make sure I have good clearances???. (I work with a guy that has lots of land and he has trails but he said I couldnt come down there because he has ruts about 2 feet deep. He said I'll never make it since I'm stock. I have a new Rubi and don't like hearing that. I'll put out the bucks for a decent lift but I need to know what I need. Is a 4" too much or should I stick with a 3-3-5
Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodo
That's what I'm talkin about. Is 3" a pretty decent amount that will allow good articulation and clearance? Or is 4" a better without having to worry about "drive angle " problems. Hey, Wayof Life, chime in here. What about the long arm kits? Like I said, I'm new to "Wranglers. I NEEEEEEED HEEEELP:toung:
Sorry for not responding to you sooner. To answer your question, yes, 3" is a really good lift and a Full Traction Ultimate lift is what I am running now with 35" tires. With a complete kit like this, you will have excellent articulation and clearance. 4" might be a bit much unless you are planning to run 37's and you would have to start thinking about things like driveline angles. As far as long arms go, in all honesty, the JK's have much longer control arms than the previous TJ model Jeep and so far, I have not seen the need for them on a JK with 3"-4" of lift.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Thanks alot, Thats what I've been wating for. I'm gonna check out the Full Traction 3" Ultimate kit. Sorry, too many Colorado Spring Waters!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

OK, how will this kit look , perform with the stock 33" Rubi tires?
Old 07-30-2007, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

It'll look a little goofy with your stock tires. 35's seem to be the norm with a 3" lift.

Quick Reply: What Lift do I want