Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Spline?

Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Spline?

what are the stock spine's on the 2008 X? or do i need to worry about the spline count when doing new gears. this is new for me. if i want to run 35's. gears would be helpful. but if i only run 33's how would 4.88 or 5.13 perform?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Splines on what? There are splines on the pinion gears, splines on the insides of the rear axles, splines on the inside and outside of the front axles, splines on the steering shaft, splines on the driveshaft. Like my 11th grade English teacher used to tell me........"Be moe pacific!!"
Old 04-11-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Splines on what? There are splines on the pinion gears, splines on the insides of the rear axles, splines on the inside and outside of the front axles, splines on the steering shaft, splines on the driveshaft. Like my 11th grade English teacher used to tell me........"Be moe pacific!!"
if i'm changeing out gear's that would be a pinion gear. if worng please let me know. new to this stuff!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by rubirobv
this might help you out.

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm
thank you for the chart. at least that gives a little to base the power from. 4.88 is the gear set. now just need to know what the spline count is on the pinion gear for a stock D30 and D44 on a "X".
Old 04-11-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I believe the Dana 30 front is 27 spline, the non-rubi Dana 44 rear is 30 spline. And the Rubi 44's are 32 spline?

But...

Call this guy from you sig
Tell him what gears you have now, he'll let you know if you need a new carrier or anything like that as well.

Folks here generally find that 35's and 4.88's are good for a manual. 35's and 5.13's are good for autos. My opinion, if you're even considering 35's, gear for them now even if you're staying with 33's for a while. You don't want to regear twice.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-11-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since JK gears only work in a JK, all you need to know is if its an X/Sahara or a Rubicon. No other D30 or D44 gears will work in a JK.

As for how it would drive with 33's and 4.88's or 5.13's... Slowly would be the best way of putting it. Accelleration would be awesome, but your top speed will be RPM limited. If you don't mind cruising at 3000rpm, then you will be able to go 70mph. Just don't expect any sort of decent fuel economy.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckmehl
thank you for the chart. at least that gives a little to base the power from. 4.88 is the gear set. now just need to know what the spline count is on the pinion gear for a stock D30 and D44 on a "X".
are you getting confused with spline count for the carrier and axles? 'cause as mentioned above you don't need to worry about pinion gear spline count, you'll need JK specific ring and pinion...so...you shouldn't need to worry about that...unless your changing carriers or putting lockers or LSD's in
and if your simply doing a re-gear, so long as you have JK specific gears your fine.
And in case your wondering, your D30 front gears are reverse cut...also if your changing from a 3.21 to numerically higher you'll need a new carrier up there...
Old 04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
are you getting confused with spline count for the carrier and axles? 'cause as mentioned above you don't need to worry about pinion gear spline count, you'll need JK specific ring and pinion...so...you shouldn't need to worry about that...unless your changing carriers or putting lockers or LSD's in
and if your simply doing a re-gear, so long as you have JK specific gears your fine.
And in case your wondering, your D30 front gears are reverse cut...also if your changing from a 3.21 to numerically higher you'll need a new carrier up there...
i have 3.73. so if i do a rear locker i have to worry about the spline count?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ckmehl
i have 3.73. so if i do a rear locker i have to worry about the spline count?
Yes, unless you plan on changing your axles as well.
I see you have an '08 X, as you already are aware you have 3.73 gearing front and rear. This means that your rear axle spline count is 30...meaning if you plan on using stock axles and upgrading locker, lsd or whatever only, you will require one that states it is for a Dana 44 3.73 and numerically lower ratio with a 30 spline count to accept the axles. 3.73 and lower because our JK Dana 44's use thick ring gears, so even though you are putting a 3.73 and numerically higher gear ratio in you still need the 3.73 and numerically lower locker. Make sense?
Old 04-12-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Confusing

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Yes, unless you plan on changing your axles as well.
I see you have an '08 X, as you already are aware you have 3.73 gearing front and rear. This means that your rear axle spline count is 30...meaning if you plan on using stock axles and upgrading locker, lsd or whatever only, you will require one that states it is for a Dana 44 3.73 and numerically lower ratio with a 30 spline count to accept the axles. 3.73 and lower because our JK Dana 44's use thick ring gears, so even though you are putting a 3.73 and numerically higher gear ratio in you still need the 3.73 and numerically lower locker. Make sense?
so let me see if i have this now. changeing my gears out 5.13's front and rear. when i put in the locker in the rear the ARB JK 30 spline Dana 44 & all gear ratio's will work with no problems. and yes i will be doing the ARB air system.

is there anything else i need to know about doing this. i will not be doing the installation. paying a professional to do it. i did not realize that the JK has a specific gear. Thank you for that little tid bit. that makes things much easier.

Quick Reply: What Spline?