Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wheel spacers strength and needed width

Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers strength and needed width

How strong is like a 1.5 inch spacer? Should I have any concerns about running them? I want a wider stance, also eventually I am going to lift onto 35s with stock 13 rubi wheels, would 1.5 inch spacers be enough to make up for the back spacing of the wheels?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by iiM RuSHiN
How strong is like a 1.5 inch spacer? Should I have any concerns about running them? I want a wider stance, also eventually I am going to lift onto 35s with stock 13 rubi wheels, would 1.5 inch spacers be enough to make up for the back spacing of the wheels?
The spacer will hold up just fine. Personally we don't recommend spacers as it is better to just get a wheel with the correct offset and it doesn't put as much leverage on other components of the rig. Typically with spacers you will wear out your wheel bearings and ball joints quicker. The 35's on stock rubi wheels with a 1.5" spacer should be ok. Depending the aftermarket parts you have might require some trimming to make it all work. You also need to think about the width of the tire, but rubbing can always be corrected by adjusting your steering stop slightly.

PM us if you would like a quote on some spacers or anything else you might be considering.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Info from SpiderTrax
The Blog of Spidertrax » Domestic vs. Import Wheel Spacers: Mechanical & Material Analysis

Post 11 has info from a forum member
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...safety-130315/

There was a great analysis thread a while back comparing a few different brands, but it was apparently deleted. Maybe someone will link it if they have it saved.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 1.5 spidertrax on 13 rubi wheels. No issues. I was on the trail all day today. Performed flawlessly. Just check your torque at the recommended intervals.

Sent from grenade range
Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on how everything sits, might be able to do a lesser width spacer. A proper offset wheel is the best option, but a .75-1.25 inch, might be the ticket seeing how the used stock wheel market is so soft. I'll never just give them away.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4

The spacer will hold up just fine. Personally we don't recommend spacers as it is better to just get a wheel with the correct offset and it doesn't put as much leverage on other components of the rig. Typically with spacers you will wear out your wheel bearings and ball joints quicker. The 35's on stock rubi wheels with a 1.5" spacer should be ok. Depending the aftermarket parts you have might require some trimming to make it all work. You also need to think about the width of the tire, but rubbing can always be corrected by adjusting your steering stop slightly.

PM us if you would like a quote on some spacers or anything else you might be considering.
I'm curious as to how a spacer and stock wheel which yields a back spacing of 4.5 would put any more stress on components vs a wheel with 4.5 in of back spacing?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sam30540
I'm curious as to how a spacer and stock wheel which yields a back spacing of 4.5 would put any more stress on components vs a wheel with 4.5 in of back spacing?
A spacer is an additional piece added to add width, where as the wheel itself is one piece. Any stress is passed through the wheel itself as supposed to 2 separate, shorter pieces. The more solid, single piece (wheel) can distribute stress more, whereas the 2 pieces have a "break" in them so-to-say. Not sure if I explained it right, but that would be the reasoning.

Example: If a long stick doesn't have any small breaks in it, it will hold more weight/resist better. Any small crack - less capable and more prone to breakage/warping, etc.

EDIT: I will add that I don't run spacers, and never have - however, I don't think they are a bad idea nor run a risk of any damage more than a properly backspaced wheel. Don't think they'd sell them if they caused more problems that satisfied customers.

Last edited by FoxRacingJMC; 09-05-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

It wouldn't

EDIT: The amount of "Play" or movement between the parts has to be incredibly little. Is it enough to actually effect ball Joint or bearing wear when comparing setups with the exact same backspacing? Highly doubt it.

Last edited by JKJon; 09-05-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Honestly, it doesn't as long as the spacer is installed correctly. I would stick with a reputable brand on the spacers.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^what he said. I've been running Spiders for several thousand miles. No problem.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers strength and needed width