Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wheel and tire question

Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 AM
TMC
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel and tire question

Hi all
Now that my warrenty is up I am looking into putting a little biger tires (33), rims, and a small lift into my 07 J/k (somthing like a 2") so I am looking for opinions/options/suggestions.
I would like to get MT tires but I drive alot of road miles so I think I will have to stick with AT's with blacked out rims. what are the good (and affordable) tire and rim options? and an affordable lift? Again I would like to keep the $ down so this may be a two step process.any help or sugestions would be Appreciated.
thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Black steelies and Nitto Terra Grapplers.
Fast, dirty, and cheap. Look like Mad Max designed them.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:13 AM
TMC
JK Enthusiast

how many miles can you get out of the Nitto's ? any suggestions on an affordable lift?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Longevity depends upon use. If you air-down a tire and attack trails, they might only last a year. If you keep up on pressure and only drive on nice urban roadways, they could last 5 years...

If you got steelies with 4.5" backspacing, you wouldn't need a lift for 33" tires.
I think you'd be able to fit 33"x12.5" with that spacing.
I'm running 32.6"x11" on stock wheels; budget oriented....
Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Smaller the wheel (16") the cheaper the tire/wheel combo will be as well.

I got a set of 5 for $560 (including tax). Procomp 8179
Old 07-01-2008, 09:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2rock
Steelies are the way to go for cool inexpensive wheels. I got mine at Discount Tires for $75 each.
You're bouncing between the two boards today too, huh?
It's so slow at work I'm going mental...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TMC
Hi all
Now that my warrenty is up I am looking into putting a little biger tires (33), rims, and a small lift into my 07 J/k (somthing like a 2") so I am looking for opinions/options/suggestions.
I would like to get MT tires but I drive alot of road miles so I think I will have to stick with AT's with blacked out rims. what are the good (and affordable) tire and rim options? and an affordable lift? Again I would like to keep the $ down so this may be a two step process.any help or sugestions would be Appreciated.
thanks
16x8 Black Pro-Comp 7028
33x12.5 Mickey Thompson ATZ

The wheels are pricey, but they look awesome and aren't supposed to be affected by snow\salt. Pricey, yet 16" will be a better price versus 17" and much better than 18".

The tires are a mud\allterrain\highway hybrid. They look aggressive, but wear better than MTs and are much quiter going down the road.

Expect 1/2 the life from MTs versus your stock tires.

Last edited by dsword; 07-01-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention price factor.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM
TMC
JK Enthusiast

Any opinions on the General grabber AT2's or the goodyear silent armour, of the firestone AT's ?
Old 07-01-2008, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

the silent armor's handle great and wear well. My liberty has over 50,000 on this set, and I could probably get close to 10,000 more out of them. I also had a truck with over 30,000 on its set before I traded it in. I'm trying to figure out if I want another set of Silent armors or a set of BFG KM2s for the JK.

Clay
Old 07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
ptireman

Default the general grabber AT II

Originally Posted by TMC
Any opinions on the General grabber AT2's or the goodyear silent armour, of the firestone AT's ?
the general grabber AT II is the same as the Discontinued Continental Sportiva At and they wear like iron,expect alot of miles on those.I Sell them on regular basisin rural Missouri areas.Not to ruff for daily drivers,but still handle the trails and mud well clean out real GOOD.

Quick Reply: wheel and tire question