Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wheel and tire question for newbie

Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wheel and tire question for newbie

Hey all:

I just purchased a new wrangler x unlimited. came with stock 16" 75r 225 tires. I want to replace with either factory rubicon 17's or sahara 18's. Do I need to make any modifications to my jeep to accomodate the larger tire size?

The dealer was wishy washy on it - said maybe need to add a gear or something...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pdcameron@mac.com
Hey all:

I just purchased a new wrangler x unlimited. came with stock 16" 75r 225 tires. I want to replace with either factory rubicon 17's or sahara 18's. Do I need to make any modifications to my jeep to accomodate the larger tire size?

The dealer was wishy washy on it - said maybe need to add a gear or something...

They are factory options for upgrade, i see no reason why you would need to change anything to toss them on (assuming you mean the stock rubber too)
Old 03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
They are factory options for upgrade, i see no reason why you would need to change anything to toss them on (assuming you mean the stock rubber too)

yup .................
Old 03-22-2007, 03:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
... i see no reason why you would need to change anything ...
Another newb, here: How does the vehicle speedometer remain correct? That's critical also for the odometers and trip computer functions. It used to be that you changed gearing for the speedometer cable, but I can believe that much of that may be handled with a software mod in today's world.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-22-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Another newb, here: How does the vehicle speedometer remain correct? That's critical also for the odometers and trip computer functions. It used to be that you changed gearing for the speedometer cable, but I can believe that much of that may be handled with a software mod in today's world.
it does'nt

the dealer can only adjust it for up to 32's tires. Your kinda SOL at the moment, This is what guys use on TJ's, but I'm not sure if its compatable with the JK
Old 03-22-2007, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2-dr X w/ auto that came with stock 225's and upgraded to 265/75/R16 BFG A/T's(31.65" diameter) with 2 issues. The odo/speedometer is off, ~5mph at 60, and the power loss at highway speeds going up hills. The power loss I'll have to live with, but the odo/speedo will need reprogrammed? at the dealer... when I get around to it.

I have no suspension issues.

I wish I knew more about the power loss though... is it the overdrive that performs poorly? I drive hills every day commuting. Should I just keep OD off? I don't want to keep switching it off for uphill, and on for level/down...

Quick Reply: wheel and tire question for newbie