Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel weights contacting calipers with 15" wheels

Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel weights contacting calipers with 15" wheels

I just rotated my tires for the 1st time and the stick on weights on the front driver's side are contacting the caliper. I can see that the caliper is slowly wearing a groove into the weights, so soon the noise should go away. Is there any major consequence of this happening, other than potentially losing some of the weights and unbalancing the wheel/tire? I tried a search but nothing really came up.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I have a similar problem with my Currie tie rod and 16" wheels. When having the wheels balanced, I show the tech the problem so he can locate the weights so they are further outboard, thus past where the tie rod end is located.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I'll definitely do that when I go to have these balanced again. Unfortunately, I had no say when they came from DTD. I'm taking a stab that the rear calipers are smaller than the fronts, as this wasn't an issue when the tire was on the back.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default weights

I always tell them to put clip on weights on the inside and stick on's as far toward the outside as possible for the outside on my 15x8's. I have some old 15x10's and I use clip on weights inside and out on them. Then I spray them with bed liner when I get home.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

But just to confirm, my situation right now isn't really going to tear anything up, right?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should be fine. Might tear the weights off the wheel but you need to get them rebalanced anyway. I would try to get it done asap. The only problem I could see is if the weight got caught on the caliper and digs into the wheel.

Quick Reply: Wheel weights contacting calipers with 15" wheels