Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

when do you need control arms

Old 11-24-2008, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when do you need control arms

my question is when do you need control arms, ive just put in the 618, 619 OME springs they are the 2.5 HD springs ,they suposedly give you about 3 inches of lift, i ordered the jks adjustable track bars so that should line up the steering , do i need control arms if i do, do i need uppers front and rear , or lowers , or both , not at all , let me know im hoping santa will help out a lil bit but im not sure what the next step is , thanks in advance
Old 11-24-2008, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

You shouldn't need adjustable control arms. At first my steering was a little flighty, but after about 8 months the springs have settled a little and the flightlyness has gone away, or at least I have grown used to it. If you were going to get control arms you would be best to get front lower to set your caster and fix the flighty steering.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

So when would you need adjustable front control arms? Is there a rule of thumb with them?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running stock control arms all around on 4 inches of lift. Check my signature for mods.

I have a thread out there with lots of research called "internet lift purchased". It shows how you can build a 4 inch lift with stock control arms and minimum parts.

Check it out here.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/multiple-manufacturer-assembled-suspension-lift-44547/
Old 11-25-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I guess I'm a bit more fussy about how it handles and drives than others. I think 2.5" and up need control arms. I'd probably go with adj lowers in the front first. I go that way because I'd rather push the bottom of the axle forward and lengthen the wheelbase to adj the caster than roll the top backwards and shorten my wheelbase.

I also agree with your choice to go with adjustable track bars. It's nice to be able to dial things in. When it comes to chassis and suspension I'm not a "bare minimum to get the job done" guy. And I won't tolerate flighty or twitchy handling.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

adjustable track bars, springs, and shocks are all you need for 4 inches of lift on an unlimited. Control arms are not neccessary right away on the longer wheel base of the unlimited. SO I would start there. ^

Contorl arms however will be nice to get a less flighty steering, but I run it all day on stockers and without cams on the bolts.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

Check if your rear axle has shifter forward a bit. You might see the tire closer to the pinch seam. Mine does. MIGHT need rear lower just to push the axle back.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks all , im prob going to do them in the future, hey demitri how was thee ruasch run with the ateam 4x4 club
Old 11-25-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
Check if your rear axle has shifter forward a bit. You might see the tire closer to the pinch seam. Mine does. MIGHT need rear lower just to push the axle back.
Nope cleared it just fine.
That is a 33 inch tire under my front driver side. This thing RTI'd at 850 without the tires being aired down. With our long wheelbase that is an awesome score!

Here I am on the rti ramp 23* 32 inches up the ramp and not aired down. The score on the ram was officially 807 without airing down. I could have more if I aired down.

Last edited by JulietKilo; 11-25-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
adjustable track bars, springs, and shocks are all you need for 4 inches of lift on an unlimited. Control arms are not neccessary right away on the longer wheel base of the unlimited. SO I would start there. ^

Control arms however will be nice to get a less flighty steering, but I run it all day on stockers and without cams on the bolts.
Control arms are primarily to deal with caster in the front (and pinion angle if going with an aftermarket driveshaft) and pinion angle in the rear. What does the wheelbase of an unlimited have to do with caster?

It "will be nice to get a less flighty steering"? That acknowledges you have flighty steering. Why put up with that? For 250-300 you can get a pair of adj upper or lower control arms and eliminate the problem. The butt you save could be your own or your families. I can see staying with the stock arms in the rear if you have the stock rear driveshaft. I just can't see it in the front at this much lift.

Quick Reply: when do you need control arms