Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Where to buy Shackes / D-Rings?

Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Where to buy Shackes / D-Rings?

I have my new mopar rear bumper, but need to put shackles on her. Where can I find some shackles? I'd rather not order online. Is there somewhere I can find them in a store? Hardware?

I'm looking for a 5/8" shackle with at least 7,000lb work load, I'm pretty sure that size will fit the mopar rear bumper....but where can I find them locally?

-Brett
Charleston, SC
GO NAVY!
Old 08-25-2007, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BrettDez
I have my new mopar rear bumper, but need to put shackles on her. Where can I find some shackles? I'd rather not order online. Is there somewhere I can find them in a store? Hardware?

I'm looking for a 5/8" shackle with at least 7,000lb work load, I'm pretty sure that size will fit the mopar rear bumper....but where can I find them locally?

-Brett
Charleston, SC
GO NAVY!
For some reason, it appears that Mopar made them an odd size. I was talking to SlickWill about his, and he got his from Quadratec and drilled out the bumper. I found some at Tractor supply, if you have one of those, but again, they will require drilling the mounting points on the bumper.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

big rig (mack, freighliner, etc) shops will have them pretty cheap...
Old 08-25-2007, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Northern Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Smile Well,

I got the 5/8" shackles that will fit them, but they seem a little small and hang awkwardly because the pin is much smaller than the eyelet hole.

I also have 3/4" shackles that are much better looking size-wise and more importantly have better strength for actual use. But the 3/4" shackles pins won't fit into the holes.

Now you said I can drill out the eyelet. I am in the military and just got down to Charleston, SC, I have no tools except a battery operated drill. What would I need in order to drill out the eyelet a little bit to allow the 3/4" shackle to fit on snugly? And then do I need to do anything after drilling it for maintenance or anything?

Sorry, I am only an amateur. Replacing my bumpers, fog lights, and installing my CB antenna are the most hardcore things I've done(mod wise, I got same great offroading pics if you ever want to see). Any help is appreciated.

-Brett
GO NAVY!
Old 08-26-2007, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone????
Old 08-26-2007, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Wink

Hello, I did 8yrs in the Air Force and most bases had a shop where you could go to work on your vehicles. They were all equiped differently so I don't know whats available down there. Check out Charleston AFB to see what they have if the Navy base doesnt have anything.

Do your mounts on your bumper come off. IE are they bolted to the bumper or welded. To use 3/4 D rings seems like would require at least a 13/16 inch hole and thats pretty big to do using anything handheld. If they come off, you could put them in a drill press vise to enlarge them. If not, maybe someone on here has some other ideas. Sorry couldnt be any more help.

PS, thanks for serving!!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Smile

Thanks for the advice, I just entered the service in May, so I still don't really know what's available on the base.

However the shackle mounts are apart of the bumper, so I can't use a drill press. Handheld will probably be my only option. But I don't even know what tool to use or drill bit.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BrettDez
Thanks for the advice, I just entered the service in May, so I still don't really know what's available on the base.

However the shackle mounts are apart of the bumper, so I can't use a drill press. Handheld will probably be my only option. But I don't even know what tool to use or drill bit.
It would take a bit longer, but you could go and buy a small electric hand grinder and open up the holes. This it what I used even though I had a drill I wanted to ahve as close a fit as possible.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

7/8 drill bit with alot of cutting oil and go slow

Quick Reply: Where to buy Shackes / D-Rings?