Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who is running 40s on their 2 door? Need advice!

Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Keep the jeep for your everyday and moderate trails and build a buggy for the tough stuff. The buggy won'y have the limitations of the jeep and the tough trails generally involves body damage and roll overs. Its not uncommon to lay the jeep against a rock and slide down the side to get by tight spots. A 2-3" stretch is a lot of work for what you end up with as well. If you build a buggy, in the end you will have a nice jeep that will have resale value. A heavily modified jeep with body damage is not worth much. Nearly everyone I have advised in building the kind of jeep you are describing ends up wishing they have built a buggy instead. IF you really want to go down that road I will be glad to help where I can.
You drive a valid point dirtman. If I were to upgrade my axles, what would you run? I currently have D30 up front sleeved, gusseted, arb locked, teraflex hd ball joints. I haven't had any issues but really want to go up a tire size to atleast 37s and hear nothing but bad things once you run 37s and up on D30 axle. Have any advice?
Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I never broke more stuff then when I went to 37's on rubi axles with 4.10 gears. Seemed like every trip out cost me $400 in repairs. Axle shafts, driveshafts, ran a sway bar link thru a brand new 37" MTR. If you don't mind breaking down on the trails then take the chance on running on the stock axles. Axles can be done for as little as $5k if you can find junkyard ones and can fab yourself or you can spend $15k+ on a new set of built dynatrac's. Its all a balance of budget and what you want to do vs the trails you want to run.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a two door and i am saving up to go the junk yard route. I want to run 40s for the trails i hit and because i love the look of them. i plan on running 5.38 with them so there is my personal input. I agree with the guys above if you want to go extreme then build a buggy as you can get a nice frame for about 5k vs. destroying the jeep.

Quick Reply: Who is running 40s on their 2 door? Need advice!