Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun pinion bearing race

Old 03-19-2019, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun pinion bearing race

Spun the outer pinion race (the smaller one) in my d30. I got it out and it had a little scoring in the bore, but not much. The bearing was burned up pretty bad. I had the original race and bearing from before re-gearing laying around. So I took the original race in good shape and installed to see how much play I had. It actually pounded in like a normal race. My question is, can I just use the green bearing loctite and a new race/bearing? I've read that some people have knurled the inside of the housing, but since the fit is tight, I figured I didn't need to do this. I just don't want to shell out $1,000 plus for a new housing (I'm in Iowa and they aren't laying around cheap). I also do zero off roading with my rig. Daily driver. The only time it sees 4wd is in the winter during snow/ice. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-19-2019, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, clean it up real good and use the green Loctite.

If you're worried about it, take a punch and dimple a few divots in around the bore before pushing the race in.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few different bearing retaining compounds from loctite, they have the green stuff for different thicknesses/gap ratings, each one has a different PSI rating for strength, their website is pretty good for info.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

So I'm in the process of getting my rig back together. Just used the green loctite and waiting for it to set up. I didn't install these gears and got to thinking what does the rear look like? So I popped the cover and checked the pattern. Backlash was .008. This is the pattern. Would you guys run this? I've set up a few over the years and always try to get coast/drive as centered as possible. I've looked at some pattern charts that say this is ok, but would rather hear it from you guys. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone out there? Would you run this pattern? Don’t really want to tear it down and re-shim it. I don’t have any shins since I didn’t regear it in the first place. Appreciate the help!!!
Old 04-01-2019, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't look terrible from that pic, but really it's not a great pic of the pattern to make a call. I would want to see both the drive and coast side clearly.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:46 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

I'd do the entire ring gear and see how the pattern is all the way around.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I'd do the entire ring gear and see how the pattern is all the way around.
I ended up having a mechanic buddy of mine come look at it that does a lot of gear installs. He checked out the entire wear pattern on the ring. Said he’d run it. Also showed him the pic I posted and he laughed at me! Anyways, got about 500 miles in and still going. I posted on the wrangler forum and got beat up pretty bad about how it was going to fail. They were all over me about it. Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:52 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rock7174
I ended up having a mechanic buddy of mine come look at it that does a lot of gear installs. He checked out the entire wear pattern on the ring. Said he’d run it. Also showed him the pic I posted and he laughed at me! Anyways, got about 500 miles in and still going. I posted on the wrangler forum and got beat up pretty bad about how it was going to fail. They were all over me about it. Thanks again!
Great, you're welcome .

Quick Reply: Spun pinion bearing race