Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who is running a Dual battery setup?

Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is running a Dual battery setup?

Am looking in to running a dual battery kit. My jeep has a10,000 winch with VIAIR dual compressor. I have the feeling I probably should upgrade. What you think guys?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKAG
Am looking in to running a dual battery kit. My jeep has a10,000 winch with VIAIR dual compressor. I have the feeling I probably should upgrade. What you think guys?
yep! My next mod, after I get my jcr dagger rear installed. Already asked Mrs. Claus to bring me a M.O.R.E. Dual battery tray. With that said, I have the Recon 10.5 winch, used it last week to pull myself out of the deep snow. After about 45 seconds or so of winching, I was reeling it back in with no load and it just clicked and stopped turning. Simply put, not enough juice to turn the winch. I left the jeep running for about another 20 minutes before turning it off. During the entire hike, I planned on my method of getting back to an area with a signal to call aaa. :(
Old 12-02-2013, 12:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

For those who confine their Jeeping to day trips to off-road parks, it's a low priority. For those who get out into the wilderness for multi-day, vehicle dependent expeditions, it's mandatory. Since I fall in the latter, I have one--Benchmark Designs for the 3.8, which is no longer available.

On the recent f-stop Arkansas run (Four days, three nights in the Ozarks. Video here if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DZr8b28jsQ), we had two battery failures. One Jeep didn't have dual-batteries and we had to use two Jeeps to get his jumped, then had to make a sidetrip into a town to replace his battery--his dash was lighting up like a Christmas tree until the battery was swapped. Mine, which was the other failure, we just pushed the "boost" button on the battery isolator and started right up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual-battery Install, Feb 12, 0696, Jeff Shows Finished Project.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	513844
^^^^That's my friend, Jeff, who helped with the install.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes Mark, I have the Benchmark installed as well, and have had great piece of mind for a number of years as a result. I have always felt that something that critical warranted some redundancy, especially since it was a reasonably priced diy project. I run a 12,000lb winch, and plenty of aux lighting, and wouldn't want to get stranded in a Saskatchewan blizzard at -40 because my one and only battery failed. I have dual Odyssey's under the hood.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:30 AM
JK Freak

here you go

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...nstall-286411/

Quick Reply: Who is running a Dual battery setup?