Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why Air Lockers?

Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Air Lockers?

I'm looking at the prices on air lockers and the related onboard air compressors/powertanks that you need to rig up in order to run air lockers, and am wondering what makes them better than conventional (i.e. mechanical?) lockers like the ones that come stock on the Rubi. Googling this doesn't seem to help as there aren't really any write-ups on this. I'm sure some of you guys have something to say about the advantages. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
JK Freak

Some of the advantages are that they are selectable, able to select front, rear or both, you can use them in 2HI and 4HI, you have a compressor which is useful for airing up tires etc and they are proven to be reliable.

Rubicon lockers are electric. Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

By conventional, are you referring to automatic lockers like a lunchbox or a Detroit? The rubicon lockers are selectable, and similar to air lockers. They simply use an electric switch as opposed to air activation. Auto lockers are always on, you can't ever turn them off. Selectables act like an open differential until you push the button, and then they lock the axle. When no longer needed, you push the button and you have an open diff again.

Because you can't turn them off, auto lockers have some handling drawbacks when turning, especially on slick roads. Selectables, since they can be turned off, have no issues onroad. Offroad, since an autolocker is always on, it is there helping you even before you know you need the extra traction. Selectables, you may be stuck before you reach down and flip the switch. Also offroad, an autolocker may inhibit your turns, and you may find yourself doing more 3 or 5 point turns to get around an obstacle. Selectables, off until you need them.

Here is a 101 by Dynatrac, really good info.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tech/d...ts-lockers-101
Old 11-04-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dave nelson
I'm looking at the prices on air lockers and the related onboard air compressors/powertanks that you need to rig up in order to run air lockers, and am wondering what makes them better than conventional (i.e. mechanical?) lockers like the ones that come stock on the Rubi. Googling this doesn't seem to help as there aren't really any write-ups on this. I'm sure some of you guys have something to say about the advantages. Thanks!
My 2 cents.

On board air is something a rig needs in any case, to air up tires or fix repaired flats on the trail. So the jump to having one for a locker is a small one to many of us.

Having a selectable locker is better than a full time locker. You get much more power with a locker, but there are situations where you are better off without being locked. Snow packed streets is one such situation, or on trails doing a finesse maneuver like a switch back where you may not want all the power. So selectable is better - more options.

As far as air locker over mechanical like Ox or electric like Eaton, nothing in particular makes air better. However, the best overall locker on the market is the ARB. Not because it's air, but how it performs when engaged.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The 101 linked a few threads up has some info. Start there...
Old 11-04-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK11Miami
is an e-locker or air locker better and why? Thanks
I would argue yes, the actuation is very much similar, even though air lockers are proven, then do have flaws, leaks, multiple points of failure (air compressor can fail, air line can fail, leaks in the diff, and electrical problems), in cold climates you can also have air lines freeze etc.

Where as with e lockers there are only 2 points of failure, electronic actuator and electrical supply (which can easily be directly connected in a pinch or bypassed).

Electro magnets that e lockers use are very simple devices and rarely fail, where as air diaphragms that air actuated system use wear out over time.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noxian
I would argue yes, the actuation is very much similar, even though air lockers are proven, then do have flaws, leaks, multiple points of failure (air compressor can fail, air line can fail, leaks in the diff, and electrical problems), in cold climates you can also have air lines freeze etc.

Where as with e lockers there are only 2 points of failure, electronic actuator and electrical supply (which can easily be directly connected in a pinch or bypassed).

Electro magnets that e lockers use are very simple devices and rarely fail, where as air diaphragms that air actuated system use wear out over time.
I've heard of more e-locker failures than ARB failures. Look at the factory e-locker in Rubi's. Most replace them with ARB when they fail. The ARB locker itself is one of the strongest on the market.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can not beat the reliability of a detroit locker IMO. I have had one in the rear of my jeep for a couple months now and absolutely love the thing. It recently has snowed (and its here to stay until april or so ) I havent had to put it in 4-wheel drive yet. The handling took a little bit to get used to but now i know to take it easy on the skinny pedal. I am anxious to see how one in the front will do when i get my pro rock 44 front (this spring ). I am going with the front detroit because I havent heard good things about the auburn ected or eaton e-locker for the D44. I have friends with ARB's and they like them when they work. They are having problems with the solinoid and moisture in the air lines I am guessing do to the temperature fluctuations in the winter months (-20 one day and then 40 a couple later then back down to -20).
Old 11-04-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I am going with the front detroit because I havent heard good things about the auburn ected or eaton e-locker for the D44.
A TrueTrac may fit your needs for the front. A front detroit was great for a Colorado summer, but one winter of icy freeways was all it took for me to pull it out. (then again, you probably don't see a lot of freeway time up there?)
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A TrueTrac may fit your needs for the front. A front detroit was great for a Colorado summer, but one winter of icy freeways was all it took for me to pull it out. (then again, you probably don't see a lot of freeway time up there?)
Not too much freeway a little here around Anchorage. I do drive on single lane mountain roads with speed limit of 55 mph no break down lane or guard rail. O ya and of the side of the road is a 1000 foot drop off and at the bottom a river that is glacier run-off. Haha got to love Alaska.

Quick Reply: Why Air Lockers?