Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why not install your new gears yourself?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not install your new gears yourself?

How hard really is it? The major cost of regearing is the labor correct? The parts dont really cost very much. I have access to nearly every tool one could think of as my 2 best friends are full time farm machinery mechanics. I myself have troulbe changing the oil but is it really that hard for someone w/ mechanical ability to do it?

I guess my question is, someone tell me why know one does this and am I missing something?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cause when gears are done wrong and blow, they take stuff with them. Expensive stuff...
Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

haha well I guess that does make sense
Old 03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
JK Super Freak

It's not a straightforward remove and replace job. The art is trying to match the meshing ring gear and pinion gear teeth with using shims. Recognizing paint patterns on the teeth are part of it, and then repeating assembly and disassembly until it's done right. In some cases I understand that a case spreader is useful, as is a special tool to hold the pinion nut while you torque it down. I would at least find someone who has done a few before to walk you through it and help you out.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

Regearing is not a simple process. You need precision tools and measuring devices. Setting the preload on the pinion bearing is just the start. Getting the gear mesh pattern right is an art. If they don't mesh up just right bad things happen...like pinion gear bearings letting loose or gear teeth shearing off at a very bad time. Ask me how I know this....it isn't fun or pretty.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default blame tv

watching the 4x4 shows on the boob tube makes it look simple. Its not and if the local install guy puts them in wrong and they go megaton on you you have an out. Do them yourself and screw up one thing and it can be an expensive mistake that alot of folks cant walk away from.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Decide for yourself

Great How-To :
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...8112-It-begins....
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...?82262-Gearing

And (one) of the failed installs :
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...uld-cause-this
Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

While all this is true, you shouldn't be afraid to do it. I had never seen the inside of a diff when I did mine. If you can follow instructions and can have someone walk you throughout it, I say go for it. Even if you grenade them, you still saved enough money to do them twice more. The down time is what you're dealing with at that point. I like to learn what I can, and that is an awesome skill to have. When I was in my hobby shop I had a constant crowd. Most people were like me and had never seen the inside. Cool stuff for sure.

Edit: unless you toast a carrier too, you should be able to replace twice... or if you screw up bearing cages, or if you don't seat the pinion bearing races, or... you get the point.

Last edited by No1AP; 03-21-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

helps being in the military and having access to a hobby shop with the right tools for the job...civilians dont have that luxury
Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
And here is another reason NOT to do the gears yourself:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...er-the-install

Quick Reply: Why not install your new gears yourself?