Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Why turn Overdrive off with 35s?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep OD off when road conditions cause the transmission to constantly hunt between 3rd gear and OD. Turn OD on when you are cruising the open road on the level where the transmission will stay in OD most of the time.

This applies to the 42RLE regardless of your tire size and gearing. Pretty much all 42RLE driving issues can be resolved with a bit of manual shifting.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by j_king
So I just got my Teraflex 2.5 coil lift and 35" Duratracs put on my new 2011 JK unlimited and love it!

However I can definitely tell I will need to regear in the future. Driving around the city seems fine but the noticeable change comes when driving on the highway. The lack of power (not that there was that much before) makes it very hard to maintain highway speeds without constant gear switching while OD is on.

I have noticed in a lot of the gearing threads people recommend to turn OD off with 35" tires if you haven't regeared yet. What does that accomplish and would that help with highway driving? Would turning OD off help with highway fuel mileage by maintaining a consistent RPM without the constant gear switching?

And just FYI my current gears are the 3.73 with LSD and it's an auto if that makes any difference.

Thanks for helping out the newbie!
Keep OD off when road conditions cause the transmission to constantly hunt between 3rd gear and OD. Turn OD on when you are cruising the open road on the level where the transmission will stay in OD most of the time.

This applies to the 42RLE regardless of your tire size and gearing. Pretty much all 42RLE driving issues can be resolved with a bit of manual shifting.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by S3AWOLF
I get an average of 19.5 mpg with the stock 32" tires at 75mph and 2000rpm on the highway (OD on) what can I expect with 35" tires. I have a 2011 with 3.73 gearing and I live in Florida where it's flat for the most part with the occasional rolling hill, but rarely does the transmission downshift from 4th. Every vehicle I've ever owned including my last pickup truck has cruised at 75mph at around 2000 rpm. Call me crazy but seems like the lower the rpm the better as long as you live in a flat area like I do. If I go 35s and my RPM drops to around 1700RPM at 70MPH is that such a bad thing as long as I am in flat Florida?
I hear guys talking about their mpg going down to 12mpg on the highway and seems to me it's because they are running at 2500+ RPM or more. I guess I just don't have a lead foot and notice it like a lot of people.

I will eventually re-gear when I get the cash to do so, but tires have to come first and my hope is with a programmer I'll be able to get by as others have already suggested. I am also guessing that smaller and lighter 35 tires probably make a difference as well and could help.
Spend a few hours reading this one. You'll pick up both sides of the argument.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-gears-210472/

Put yourself in the place of cj7nvrstk (near sea level in a flat area of texas, lower speeds on freeways), and most of the rest of the forum community as jpop. Unfortunately, planmans posts were deleted, but you can see some of his comments through quotes.

Quick Reply: Why turn Overdrive off with 35s?