Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will front driveshaft vibes be okay to drive on??

Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will front driveshaft vibes be okay to drive on??

I have a 07 Jeep Rubicon 4 door on 37's with 3.5" of lift. . Put on my new Coast front drive shaft yesterday. definitely have front drive shaft vibes. I already called North Ridge and ordered some new JKS front lower control arms. they will be here Tuesday and I will install Wednesday. I drive about 25 miles a day.

so does anybody see any problems driving 150 miles the way it is? Or should I pull the front drive shaft right now?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could probably drive it how it is for short low speed hauls but if your not going to be wheeling for a little bit until the control arms or other things are done, it makes since to pull it and have a 2whlr for a week or two.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran mime with a slight vibration and got away with it. I have heard of xfer cases being destroyed from a vibrating shaft. I'd park it if you can to be safe. If you can't, just take it easy.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

If it was mine, I'd pull it right away. You're just taking miles off your Tcase
Old 12-06-2012, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
If it was mine, I'd pull it right away. You're just taking miles off your Tcase
Same here.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

You plan on adjusting your driveline angle? You will need upper adjustable control arms also to do that. But you don't want to adjust it to much. You need to keep your caster right. Not sure what you should have for caster with your set up but I know on my Clayton 4.5" lift I am set at 5 degree caster is what is recommended.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon10
You plan on adjusting your driveline angle? You will need upper adjustable control arms also to do that. But you don't want to adjust it to much. You need to keep your caster right. Not sure what you should have for caster with your set up but I know on my Clayton 4.5" lift I am set at 5 degree caster is what is recommended.
Maybe I miss understood Dave at northridge, I told him I was putting on the coast I got from him, and wanted to improve road handling. He said the lowers is what I need, and to adjust caster to 5 degrees.

Thanks for all the replies, I will pull the front shaft tonight.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else have input on adjusting caster with only lower control arms?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I know nothing about setting up the suspension I would like to know which is better and why, same with the rear axle. Seems to me that either would work, just pivoting on top link with lower adjustable and vice versa with adjustable upper. Does one or the other have more influence on the lateral position of the axle?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you make the uppers longer then you need to make the lowers shorter and vice versa depending on which way you are turning your axle. So you should have adjustable upper and lower control arms. But you might be able to manipulate the axle enough with just the lowers or uppers being adjustable. I have never tried that. I have had both.

Quick Reply: Will front driveshaft vibes be okay to drive on??