Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will these work?

Old 01-28-2007, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these work?

15" Cragar Soft 8's in black.
What Width/Backspacing/Bolt pattern would I need to get 33/1050R15 BFG Mud Terrains?
Or should I go with the 33/1250R15 tires.

We will mostly be doing alot of mudding, and not much crawling. So thats why were getting these:

Thanks,
FR
Old 01-28-2007, 02:55 PM
JK Super Freak

BTW, How are the Goodyear wrangler MT/R's? They seem to be a good deal.
Are they any good?

BTW, Just Tires and Wheels alone will cost $1663 Canadian.

If we kept the Stock 17'' rims the price would be more...

Last edited by FRDesign; 01-28-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

From what I have heard those wheels work great. I have only heard good things of the BFG, but have only used their AT. As for the MTR, they were one of my favorite tires I have ever run. I have heard that the BFGs are better in the mud, once again that is my second hand knowledge on that.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Oh, Ok then. So they both are good tires then. The Goodyears used to be standard on TJ Rubicons.

What do you think of the TSL Boggers They are around the same price range.
But our jeep is our daily driver as well as our off-roader, so I think they may be too crazy.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
i would go BFG MT over MTR. Where are you from? the type of wheeling you do will determine which is better for you. If you rarely do mud, and by mud i mean muddy slippy trails, not mud holes, i would do the MTR's. They excel in dry/rocky/warm climates.

The BFG MT if you do anything other than the dry/rocky/warm wheeling. . .

BTW, why not run a 33x12.50? I did a 12.50 width equivalent (305) on my JK, and i think it looks better than my bro's 10.50 equivalent (285)
I was deciding either a 12.5 or a 10.5.

The Mud here is really muddy, and wet here. Its not dry.

I live in Vancouver BC.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

I would recommend the 12.50 wide tire... especially if you do lots of mudding. As for the bolt pattern, 5 on 5, and backspacing, i've seen guys running 4 inches of backspacing and it looks good, but you might want to check out some pictures people have posting on this site in various treads so you can make your own decision on that. As for the tire itself, i would strongly recommend the BFG. I have it on my jeep and i LOVE IT!!! great traction and very quiet. the Goodyear MTR.. i've heard different things. Some people love them, some poeple hate them. I test drove an 04 Rubicon with MTR's that had good tread on them, and they were terrible! So loud and rode extremely uncomfortable. This was probably due to lack of regular balance and rotation by the previous owner, but none the less, i was very dissappointed. One last note. The MTR on the Side of a Goodyear MTR stands for Maximum Traction Reinforced... NOT mud terrain radial like most people think, or other tires. another tire to consider would be the Interco TrXus M/T which is in fact a mud terrain tire, and available in a radial. I had them (33x12.50x15) on my 2000 TJ with 35,000 miles on them (rotating often and rotating through the spare) when i sold it, and they still had lots of good tread on them, probably another 20,000 miles. They were quiet, great on the trail, rock, mud and everything else and very good in all weather conditions on the road. They're also very affordable. check out the moderator's website 4x4xplor.com for more info on them. Thats where i got hooked on them and i've been loving them ever since. My rubi came with the BFG's and so far i'm really happy.. when it comes time for 35's it will be a tough choice between them... Good luck

~Mike/Yellowjeeper85

Last edited by yellowjeeper85; 01-28-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

The TrXus seem like a good deal too.
$152 US a tire aint bad.

So if I had 5" backspacing would the tires stick out more?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Definitely go with the 12.5s, they will help you float a lot more. Also, do not get the boggers unless you plan on trailing the rig only!!! My tolerance level is pretty high, but they are so far above that, it's not even funny. If it were me I would go with the BFGs. Have you thought about the Mickey Thompson Claw Radial or MTZ? I loved my claws, and have heard good things about the MTZ.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Would 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 5.5" fit? Or does it absolutly have to be 5 on 5"

And to get the 12.5 Inch wide tires, would a 8" wide rim work?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

4 inch backspace will stick out farther than 5 inch of backspace. If you look in the photos section I have the same rims with a 5 inch backspace and they stick out about an inch past the flares. And definitely go with the 12 inch width tire. 8 inch wide rim.

Quick Reply: Will these work?