Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a thicker rear sway bar make the back less tipsy and bouncy over bumps?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will a thicker rear sway bar make the back less tipsy and bouncy over bumps?

Was thinking of getting the Full Traction rear sway bar, will this control rear axle hop better and make the Jeep more stable on-road in the back?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Was thinking of getting the Full Traction rear sway bar, will this control rear axle hop better and make the Jeep more stable on-road in the back?
There's no small amount of science in suspension design.

Thicker sway bars increase roll stiffness. They tie the chassis/frame to the axle, limiting body roll. I would prefer adjustable links, which allow you to preload the sway bar so that you can tune roll stiffness as you prefer. The downside to a larger diameter bar is reduced suspension travel and a stiffer ride.

If you don't have a lift of around 4" or greater with heavy-weight tires (35" or larger), I'd look to see if I could find adjustable links instead. You can then preload the bar in either direction. If you have a stock suspension, a BB lift and tires smaller than 35", I think that you'll find that the increased roll stiffness will cause rear axle to be even more bouncy. Just remember that a sway bar IS a spring (torsion spring).

Thinner, lower rate sway bars will generally have the opposite effect.

Other ways to control axle hop include shock rebound valving. Investigate adjustable shocks.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
JK Jedi

Which way or preloading increases the stiffness? The longer the sway bar link the stiffer?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean on the two door and yes our rear sway bar will fix is issue. I installed it on mine and it was a very noticeable difference. It will not decrease flex or make your ride stiffer. It simple does not let the back end feel like it's coming around.

We have three adjustment points so you can decide on how stiff you want the new sway bar.

The product description hits it dead on

Full-Traction now offers a replacement 19mm rear sway bar for use on Jeep JK models that are equipped with a lift kit or used while heavily loaded. The new bar is a bolt-in replacement for the stock bar. It provides increased roll stiffness through its larger diameter and is designed to reduce understeer/bodyroll while still being flexible enough for severe off road use. Recommended for all lifts of 3" and over. Comes complete with urethane pivot bushings and complete installation instructions.

Last edited by Full-Traction Suspension; 08-31-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
I know what you mean on the two door and yes our rear sway bar will fix is issue. I installed it on mine and it was a very noticeable difference.

We have three adjustment points so you can decide on how stiff you want the new sway bar.
How do the adjustment points work? There is something you can turn to adjust? Can I reuse the stock links on your sway bar?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Former Member

How do the adjustment points work? There is something you can turn to adjust? Can I reuse the stock links on your sway bar?
There's three holes on the side of the sway bar, it works on leverage, the closer to the bar the stiffer the sway bar will be. I have my two door on the stiffest setting.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Former Member

Default Will a thicker rear sway bar make the back less tipsy and bouncy over bumps?

Here's a shot, sorry it's dark but you get the idea
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	85258  
Old 08-31-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Jedi

Here's a shot, sorry it's dark but you get the idea
Thanks for the pic. Can this sway bar be used on a stock JK?
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 PM
Former Member

Thanks for the pic. Can this sway bar be used on a stock JK?
We recommend it for lifted JKs but I don't see why it can't be used on a stock JK.

Theses are in stock ready to ship.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM
JK Jedi

We recommend it for lifted JKs but I don't see why it can't be used on a stock JK.

Theses are in stock ready to ship.
Thanks!