Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winch Circuit Breaker Install

Old 01-22-2016, 09:52 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
So am I correct to infer that you have never had the breaker trip on you while in use?
The highest load has been while trying to trip it with the largest diameter rope-wrap on the drum, and skidding the tires pulling up hill -- see last paragraph of post#1 for details. Other than that, so far this winch has only been used to pull fallen trees, and it hasn't tripped. The manufacturers inverse time graph for the 200A breaker is saying ~20 seconds at 400 amps. My winch is rated at 420 FLA (full load amps), but I think it's very rare to get a winch motor to actually draw full rated amps because of the voltage drop with the typical battery/alternator setup (as voltage goes down, amps go down).

What's the FLA on your winch? When you get yours installed, it would be great if you report back after trying it out.

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-22-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.T
What's the FLA on your winch? When you get yours installed, it would be great if you report back after trying it out.

I don't know what FLA is. Full Load Amps? Page 17 here shows 452amps max draw: https://www.warn.com/fire_rescue/ass...e_Cat_2013.pdf

This is my winch (I bought and installed it new about 6 years ago):

I believe this is the parts list for my Winch: http://www.warn.com/truck/Replacemen...srrpl9.5Ti.pdf
Old 01-22-2016, 04:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

I don't know what FLA is. Full Load Amps? Page 17 here shows 452amps max draw:
Yep, FLA is Full Load Amps. I think its actually 425 amps for your 9.5Ti. Here's a couple links I dug up:

WARN 67550 - WARN 9.5ti Thermometric Self-Recovery Winch - Quadratec
https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/p...2_hummer.shtml

Nice winch, very similar to mine. The breaker you ordered is the same as mine too. I think the odds of you liking the way it works are good.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Yep, FLA is Full Load Amps. I think its actually 425 amps for your 9.5Ti. Here's a couple links I dug up:

WARN 67550 - WARN 9.5ti Thermometric Self-Recovery Winch - Quadratec
https://www.warn.com/truck/winches/p...2_hummer.shtml

Nice winch, very similar to mine. The breaker you ordered is the same as mine too. I think the odds of you liking the way it works are good.

Yup, that's my baby. It's been good to me. I forgot that it has temp feedback. It's got one very cool feature: it winds in even with gears unlocked so that when the cable gets all the way in, it just spins free without destroying roller. Handy!

I bought the same breaker on purpose. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:25 PM
JK Junkie

check this out
https://youtu.be/mX-_rM4Y2Mc?t=14m27s

they used 500 amp fuses for each winch.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relatively new to this....... is it a common occurrence for winch motors to get stuck running? I assume if it happens it is likely due to a solenoid failure rather an internal short in the winch motor? I have had a winch on for about a year now and have heard mixed opinions as to whether the increased number of connections and failure points you add with a cutoff switch or breaker is really worth it.

I didn't know you could install something for this cheap though...... may make the decision a little easier.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by CMHilbert
Relatively new to this....... is it a common occurrence for winch motors to get stuck running? I assume if it happens it is likely due to a solenoid failure rather an internal short in the winch motor? I have had a winch on for about a year now and have heard mixed opinions as to whether the increased number of connections and failure points you add with a cutoff switch or breaker is really worth it.

I didn't know you could install something for this cheap though...... may make the decision a little easier.
Stuck running is not common. Shorted wiring (which can cause a fire-battery meltdown) is rare as well.

You're right about a solenoid sticking, but it could be as simple as the switch/remote shorting out and energizing a solenoid. An internal short in the motor could draw a lot of amps and perhaps weld the contacts in the solenoid. In this case, a circuit breaker or fuse would interrupt the circuit based on over-current.

As to the risk/reward, a potential nuisance trip is about it for downside risk. And if there was a complete failure, a few minutes with a wrench can re-wire it directly to the battery.

The circuit breaker/switch (see post #1) is marine rated (IP66) and the contacts are capable of interrupting 5000 amps. The terminals are like whats on a on starter motor, not much to go wrong.

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-23-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a Warn Power Interrupt switch. Here's my install video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOjnGm0MFWo
Old 01-23-2016, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
I installed a Warn Power Interrupt switch. Here's my install video.
Nice quality video
Old 01-27-2016, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

check this out
https://youtu.be/mX-_rM4Y2Mc?t=14m27s

they used 500 amp fuses for each winch.
That is quite the electrical setup, it looked like three 500 amp fuses -- presumably for three winches. The video really shows off the quality workmanship.

If I had a bigger winch (more amperage), or the breaker hadn't worked out, I'd use an AMG or ANL fuse as well.

Quick Reply: Winch Circuit Breaker Install