Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

To winch or not?

Old 03-01-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To winch or not?

Ok - serious newbie - Not been offroad - yet - planning on going to Uwharrie this spring - beginner/easy stuff. Going to buy a new bumper and trying to decide on whether to buy a winch or not. I understand the need for a winch for self-recovery or for serious rock crawling - but does the average joe - with tow recovery points and tow straps (and of course - some one to pull you :-) really need a winch - the un-educated really want to know.

tia

NewJKInNC
Old 03-01-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on a person needs, "WANTS" and how much you want to spend. I retired this past year and have a new JK Unlimited Rubicon for the Colorado mountains that we spend 4-5 months a year in. I had an LoD bumper and Superwinch EPi 9 that I just installed yesterday on my birthday. I bought mine for peace of mind to me! If I can be of assistance to others that is great too. We do not do the hard rock crawling but do travel a lot of trails that you may not see anyone else for hours or even days. I like going prepared whenever possible.

Depending on others all of the time can wear thin with some people but most Jeep owners are willing to help another Jeep or other vehicle when needed.

My personal feelings are that those that depend on others all of the time is like people on welfare and depending on handouts from everyone else. Just my personal feelings.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

the first time you really need it and you dont have it will be a bad day. Even if its a cheap one, it will pay for itself the first time you really need it
Old 03-01-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I also bought a winch for "insurance." I spend considerable time poking around the desert in eastern Oregon, places where you can drive all day and never meet another car, and where the nearest house or town is 30 miles away. Nice to be able to get yourself out of a jam without relying on others.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks to all for the feedback - I'll probably get a winch ready bumper and then a winch as the funds come in :-) thanks again!!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

What winch do you recommend for someone that doesn't plan on using it too much. I see quite a range in prices.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

This is a big question that could go for on forever. This is where opinions are just that and everyone has one about winches and most large ticket items.
I will throw this out as some of my thinking about winches. Warning I know nothing about anything. You can find these prices with a little searching.

Budget biggest issue: Smittybuilt XRC-8 $284.95 includes shipping

Quality but budget price: Warn M8000 $516.79 includes shipping

Quality but best price for the most winch: Superwinch EPi9000 - also includes 125ft. cable and pulleyblock $599.00 plus shipping

Note: This is one of the items I am still saving up to install on my Jeep: I am leaning towards the Warn M8000 for my needs.

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 03-01-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the information. Where did you find the the Warn M8000 for that price?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

winchdepot.com
Old 03-02-2008, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nukeman
winchdepot.com
That's it, and when they ship for free that makes a big difference with something as heavy as a winch. I have checked some local places and they can't even come close to this price. I support my local shops as much as possible but the difference on this item is just too great.

Quick Reply: To winch or not?