Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winches, I have questions

Old 07-13-2019, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winches, I have questions

I am wanting to upgrade to a 10K or 12K winch for my Jeep. I have an 8k and my Jeep is over 4 thousand pounds.

I am partial to Warn but can't seem to decipher the difference in two winches.

Warn VR10-S GEN II 10000lb Winch - 96815

Warn ZEON 10-S 10000lb Recovery Winch with Spydura Synthetic Rope - 89611

Other than the length of rope and the synthetic vs. Spydura. I cannot see the difference. Also, what is the difference between the two ropes?

The price difference however, is huge.

I am not sure I should look at another brand or not. Most people say Warn is the best.

Thanks,
John

Tomorrow is Jeep fest in Denver and I am wondering if i go down and pick one up. They might have a good discount tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Warn VR series winches are made in China. Warn Zeon series are made in USA. That likely explains the price differences.

My opinion is that if you're going to go with a made in China brand winch, then don't over pay for the Warn name brand on the outside.

Warn has a strong brand name. That brand name has been sold to a company called Dover. Most know what happens when a strong brand name gets sold off to another company trying to turn a profit after purchasing that brand name. Thus, the reason for the made in China VR series of Warn winches. With that in mind if I was paying for a brand name winch, I would likely look at Ramsey over Warn at this point.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-13-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have had 2 vr series winches a vr10000s and vr10s and they have been excellent. The warn regional repair/warranty center is close to me and the guy who runs it told me the vr series never have warranty issues and have less returns then other warn winches. I would not hesitate to get another.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I've had my warm VR10,000 for a hair over 5 years, no complaints. It always works, even if I don't use it for 6 months and then need it, it always comes to life with no issues.

My understanding from when I was doing my research to purchase mine was that the VR winches are assembled I The US with Chinese parts. I could be wrong, but either way I have been very pleased with my winch.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:03 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. I am a little surprized to hear that the VR is better than the Zeon. I will look at Ramsey as well. Is there much difference in the synthetic ropes on winches or are they all about the same?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:11 AM
JK Freak

https://www.chaseso.com/warn-10-000-...5-vr10-s-winch

I found the winch here for 69 dollars. Do you think it is just the picture they are selling?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
I've had my warm VR10,000 for a hair over 5 years, no complaints. It always works, even if I don't use it for 6 months and then need it, it always comes to life with no issues.

My understanding from when I was doing my research to purchase mine was that the VR winches are assembled I The US with Chinese parts. I could be wrong, but either way I have been very pleased with my winch.
unfortunately that was mis-information put out by Warn when they first introduced the VR. They quickly stopped making that claim.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WTF I knew nothing of this Jeep Fest!!!
Old 07-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by prelucir
Thanks guys. I am a little surprized to hear that the VR is better than the Zeon. I will look at Ramsey as well. Is there much difference in the synthetic ropes on winches or are they all about the same?
I don't think anyone said the VR is better than the Zeon. Quite the opposite, the Zeon is more of a "Pro" class winch and made in the U.S. I believe everyone with VR series winches are just saying they have had good experience with them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rednroll:
jadmt (07-15-2019), JK-Pez (07-14-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I don't think anyone said the VR is better than the Zeon. Quite the opposite, the Zeon is more of a "Pro" class winch and made in the U.S. I believe everyone with VR series winches are just saying they have had good experience with them.
Good point.

Quick Reply: Winches, I have questions