Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering steering help!

Old 06-04-2019, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering steering help!

So I’m new to the Jeep world. Not new to modding cars and trucks but new to Jeeps. Bought an 08’ JK with 125k miles has a rough country 3.5” lift. Has 17 AEV wheels inside 35s nothing crazy.

Now you know what mods. I’m having a bit of trouble from the steering. Now coming from lifted trucks I’ve never had any steering issues. I know I know it’s a Jeep but this thing wanders inside the paint like no other! When navigating a corner slight left it will track perfect. As you start back to straight or cross back to the right, I feel a slight thump in the steering and can even feel it in the pedal assembly it’s so prevalent, and the Jeep feels like something is loose and begins to pull the new direction suddenly until I catch up with the steering wheel. I have been under this thing a couple times now and have checked everything under the sun for bad parts and have yet to come across anything. Searched online for anything that’s a common issue and can’t seem to locate much. I’ve looked at sway bars, trac bars, tie rod ends and every other steering component under the thing. Are steering boxes common to go bad? Anyone have any additional thoughts to check before I go dragging it to the off-road shop?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:05 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Ball joints... and wheel unit bearings can both do it. Incorrect "toe" setting. Lastly, yes steering boxes go bad too... normally if your pump and box is going bad it is hard to steer at slower speeds, like backing up in a parking lot... etc... pumps will eventually make noise. Bent c's can make a good alignment improbable. Lots of things to check! Ball joints are probably one of the number one issues, track bar... you are looking in the right places, you just are going to have to figure it out.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Have you had it aligned? If so, post the printout so we know where you're at. (if not, some shops will do free checks of the 'before' specs without actually modifying anything. Might be worth a few calls.)

There are several versions of that RC lift. Which specific components are installed? (cam bolts? Drop pitman? Trackbar brackets dropping from the frame instead of raised from the axle? Dual steering stabilizer?)

If it turns out to be the steering box, check out West Texas Offroad / Redneck Ram as a possible alternative to a new box. They can rebuild the stock boxes, and will also port them in case you think hydro may be in your future.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Blev2922
... 08’ JK with 125k miles ...
Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
Ball joints...
If those BJs are original, they are bad. Replace them. If you know they aren't original, give them a good check. If the Jeep has, or you plan to install, good aftermarket BJs, be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendation for lubing.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

So I’m new to the Jeep world. Not new to modding cars and trucks but new to Jeeps. Bought an 08’ JK with 125k miles has a rough country 3.5” lift. Has 17 AEV wheels inside 35s nothing crazy.
Aside from what has already been mentioned, on this forum at least once a month someone stops in with a post which starts out.....
"Steering issues....", then one or 2 sentences later it's followed by "Rough Country 3.5" lift installed".

Rough Country makes some ok lifts for the truck world and the TJ Wrangler folks seem to be happy as well. General consensus is that their JK lifts are junk. One of the more common related steering problems with the RC lift is that they use a drop pitman arm for steering angle correction which basically sucks compared to other solutions. They have been known to damage the steering box and/or pitman arm. Check and see if you have any play in your steering pitman arm. Another thing they do is add a dual steering stabilizer. A properly lifted and setup JK does not even need a steering stabilizer, yet alone a dual one. Steering stabilizers, especially gas charged ones have been known to do more harm than good for steering on a JK.

Definitely, get an alignment check done, have them print you out the alignment sheet and post it up on the forum. Many steering related problems can be easier diagnosed once the we know what you're starting with number wise. You may have low caster numbers. Do you know if anything is being used with that lift for caster correction? Take a pic and post it of the front control arms, and the brackets on the frame and axle side which the control arms connect, if you are unsure. Low caster can give you similar problems as you're describing, where caster needs to be corrected after lifting.

Then if the alignment numbers are ok, then it will be pulling that dumb dual SS off the front to see if that's causing the problem, inspecting your steering box and pitman arm, ball joints, etc.

Waiting for Resharp to jump in, him and nthinuf are starting to become our forum experts on assisting with RC lift steering related issues.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-05-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Waiting for Resharp to jump in, him and nthinuf are starting to become our forum experts on assisting with RC lift steering related issues.
The forum is just a big effing dumping ground of RC issues. 4WP or whoever has sure sold a shit ton of RC lifts!

I personally think steering box at 125k miles is less likely. I'd guess shitty combination of RC drop pitman, incorrect caster, and probably time to freshen up joints in steering linkage/system.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry to dig up my old thread but I’ve been MIA for a bit put the project on the back burner till recently. Took it to a local shop and had it aligned didn’t bother to get the print out bc I watched them do it and saw it all well within the green. Prob should have gotten the print out but oh well. Additionally they checked the BJs and they were solid and in good condition. They advised on replacing the track bar...so I did. Feels tighter but I’m still getting the prevalent thump from left to right in steering and it can still be felt in the pedal. I’ve trolled around and beginning to think it’s the intermediate steering shaft. But I can grab ahold of it and get almost no play, very very minimal if any. I d like to know if there’s a way to check this shaft, removal only?

I’m going to try another shop tomorrow their diag rate is only $50 for the first hour. So we shall see... kinda leaning towards this but still not sure. Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2019, 07:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Since everyone is still in the dark about what is or is not installed up front, snap a picture and post it up. You've been questioned about components, but outside of saying the TB has now been replaced, we're all left still wondering what is installed. For example....That RC lift often uses a drop pitman arm, but some people start doing things like flipping their DL in addition to that which just causes headaches. Snapping a pic or two of the steering components lets everyone see what we're working with here in regards to advice.
The following users liked this post:
Blev2922 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Since everyone is still in the dark about what is or is not installed up front, snap a picture and post it up. You've been questioned about components, but outside of saying the TB has now been replaced, we're all left still wondering what is installed. For example....That RC lift often uses a drop pitman arm, but some people start doing things like flipping their DL in addition to that which just causes headaches. Snapping a pic or two of the steering components lets everyone see what we're working with here in regards to advice.
No drop pitman arm installed...see above pics for reference ^ Offroad shop today pointed at the steering box. Saying the clunk is coming from the worn out gears. Possibly. Guess I’m about to buy a box.

Ps don’t make fun yes it’s a 2wd for a few more weeks. I’m waiting on an axle to be delivered to convert to 4wd.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

it’s a 2wd for a few more weeks. I’m waiting on an axle to be delivered to convert to 4wd.
It's always so weird to see 2WD wranglers. Those BJs must have been replaced by previous owner. Factory is not serviceable and yours have grease zerk on top. If you start looking at steering boxes, know that there IS a difference between 2dr and 4dr boxes, so just make sure you pay attention to what you order.

Quick Reply: Wondering steering help!