Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy this tire?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you buy this tire?

Need some advice. Looking to upgrade the wheels and tires. I like the look of the 15" wheel better than the stock 17" Rubi wheels (as well as better than 16", for that matter). Therefore, I came across these tires on Ebay and I want some advice.

1. I like the look of the older Jeeps with traditional pizza-cutter, but do you think these will be too thin? Anyone got pics if you are running a similar set-up?

2. I emailed the guy and he said they were made in 2005...is this too old?

Looked to hook them up with Mickey Thomson Classic II's.

Any advice is appreciated.
Much thanks

Last edited by toad; 12-03-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: please no direct or indirect links to ebay
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Hadn't heard of them, so did a little browsing. They are made by Cooper, and seem to have a decent tread pattern as well as good siping, BUT...

Cooper Recalling About 288,000 Tires
Cooper Tire and Rubber is recalling about 288-thousand replacement tires used on passenger cars and light trucks.
February 14th, 2006 @ 11:50am

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Cooper Tire and Rubber is recalling about 288-thousand replacement tires used on passenger cars and light trucks.

The tiremaker says the recall was prompted by concerns about slow leaks and cracking in the tires -- a small portion of the 40 (m) million tires it produces each year. Cooper says there have been no reported crashes or injuries linked to the recalled tires.

LIST OF COOPER TIRES TIRES BEING RECALLED:

* Cooper Discoverer S/T
* Dean Mud Terrain Radial SXT
* Durango Radial XTR
* Mastercraft Courser C/T
* Dick Cepek Radial F-C II
* Mesa C/T
* Pro Comp Xtreme A/T
* Tempra Trailcutter Radial RT
* Dean Alpha 365 A/S
* Mastercraft A/S
* Starfire Flite-line IV
* Trendsetter SE
* Cooper Zeon 2XS
* Mastercraft Avenger ZHP

The models, used on pickups and S-U-Vs, include the Cooper Discoverer S/T, Dean Mud Terrain Radial S-X-T, Durango Radial X-T-R, Mastercraft Courser C/T, Dick Cepek Radial F-C II, Mesa C/T, Pro Comp Xtreme A/T and Tempra Trailcutter Radial R-T.

The tires used on passenger cars were made from November 2004 to July 2005 and include the Dean Alpha 365 A/S, Mastercraft A/S, Starfire Flite-line IV and Trendsetter SE.

Cooper Tire is also recalling more than three thousand models of the Cooper Zeon 2-X-S and Mastercraft Avenger Z-H-P because of cracking in the sidewall.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Which puts those tires right in the time frame of this big recall. Even if that particular set was not part of the recall, they are still going on 5 years old. I'd say pass on them and keep looking...

Also, the website for those tires doesn't show that they are even making that size anymore, so replacements might be hard to come by.

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-03-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Former Member

yup...looks like this one's a goner. too bad. i think i really like the look of pizza-cutters on the jk. anyone know of any other 33x9.5x15 tires out there?

much thanks!
Old 12-03-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Try Tire Rack, they show a bfg at in that size. Guess tall/narrow tires just aren't as popular as tall/wide tires.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

good catch on the possible recall for those tires, nthinuf.

just FYI for anyone looking at buying tires from ebay/craigslist etc., all tires are stamped with a date code. Personally, I would be a little wary of putting on a "new" tire that is more than 2-3 yrs old. And very wary if it was older than 5.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm

Last edited by toad; 12-03-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: please no clickable links to non-sponsors
Old 12-03-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

$400 ??? They must be collectors item.

If you want to go old school tractor style, check out these INTERCO Narrow S.S. tires out 34x9.5x15 at less half the price of the ones on ebay:

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8&g=1

Last edited by toad; 12-03-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: please no clickable links to non-sponsors
Old 12-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Former Member

Default thanks guys

thanks for the heads-up on the tire info, especially the last posting. i checked out tirerack.com, and there are tires that are 33x9.5x15. thanks for everyone's help

Quick Reply: Would you buy this tire?