Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

You Guys Were Right - That Sound Deadening Stuff Sucks To Remove!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dremel Max Oscillating tool. There's another brand, but its even more than the dremel tool. Probably a good investment for either of those if you are going to use them a lot.

Harbor Frieght has one for about $30. Use the flexible scraper. Someone on here had good luck doing it that way, so I bought one. Haven't done it yet (ran out of money, but I love my new iPad!)

If I like the tool, I'll buy the dremel one. The harbor freight cheapie may as well be disposable for $30.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Figured I'd update and throw this in as food for thought. Though I did the cargo and passenger footwell area by hand to get this crap out, when I went to do the driver side I used a heating gun that I had borrowed. Probably not has easy still as an air chisel, but it worked a hell of a lot quicker than doing it completely by hand with a hammer just cracking and splitting away. So for those that dont have an air chisel, go the heat gun route and it will get the job done much faster!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I removed some of it when it was soaking wet and it came up like icing on a cake with just a normal chisel, no hammer. I got bored of removing it so I stopped but I do plan on finishing it one day.
I've been pickin at this on and off when I had some free time, not in any real hurry, but really need that weekend of good weather so I can finish the prep and get to spraying. Want to give everything a good couple days to dry if I can before putting the seats back in.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Well guys, as it stands now I'll be doing it over the labor day weekend.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will agree, the insulation was a pain to take off. I did the rear area by hand. After that I bought an air chisel. The biggest thing you have to make sure is you keep it close to parallel to the floor. I used the Raptor liner and I am extremely happy with the results. Speed liner looks similar so I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

I used an electric tile scraper/chisel.... no holes punched- but wore the teeth right off the blade! Still one blade did the whole thing. A little moistture helped too.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TexanJk
Has anyone tried the new dremel or craftsman tool? Can't recall the name at this second but it's not the rotary one. Seems like it should work like a champ!
yep. i the dremel multi-max multitool works awesome!!!!!!! It comes up really easy with the scrapper attacment. The thing vibrates and goes right through the heat shield material. The biggest plus is yo udont have to worry about putting a hole in your floor!!!! The sheetmetal is sooo thin. I almost wore through mine using a sanding pad on the angle grinder trying to clean the last bit up. Before I went any further I decided I needed a cup brush. That works great for getting the last little bit off.

Last edited by evansje01; 03-02-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: You Guys Were Right - That Sound Deadening Stuff Sucks To Remove!