Notices
New England If you live in the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Law on driving without doors in MA?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Law on driving without doors in MA?

Hey all!

Well since the weather is awesome, I removed my Hard top for the first time this weekend... I'm new to Mass, and I'm not 100% on the law for running no doors and hoping someone can clear it up for me. From what I found online, you can run them but need a Driverside mirror... I'm going to check with a buddy whose brother is a cop, but they are on a trip right now, so figured I would ask here first.

Personally, I could care less if Mass wants me to add the mirror, as long as I can take them off. If the answer is "no, you can't go doorless" then my followup question would be if those tubular half doors pass?

I do drive in NH, and Maine a fair ammount, so if anyone knows their rules, I would be interested as well.

Thanks in advance, hope you all are enjoying the weather as much as I am!!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard of anyone in New England getting busted for being doorless. Mirrorless, yes, I do believe one external to the vehicle is required in Mass. (I think the law states something about two being required).

That's my clear as mud understanding.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yo_marc
I haven't heard of anyone in New England getting busted for being doorless. Mirrorless, yes, I do believe one external to the vehicle is required in Mass. (I think the law states something about two being required).

That's my clear as mud understanding.
HAHA thanks for the response, I get the impression the actual law on this is as clear as your understanding! I'll be making some mirrors this week barring anyone saying that it's not ok, or that I need to pay Mass extra and put a sticker on my hood (sorry had to take a dig at those stupid off road registration stickers we have to get now)

thanks again
Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought some stick on 2 inch mirrors and stuck them on the vents, they spin out of the way with the doors on but are handy with the doors off and might get me out of a ticket someday...
Old 03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

no problem running door less all you need is mirrors. they can be found very easily i run harley mirrors on the stock door hinges when mine are off
Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

this will be my 15th year of driving topless, doorless and mirrorless - never had an issue
Old 03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by indredsnake99
no problem running door less all you need is mirrors. they can be found very easily i run harley mirrors on the stock door hinges when mine are off
thanks, should have called u in the first place BTW my buddy from work lives in town and just picked up a 12 JKU sport, silver with black wheels and rubi tires.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Huckleberryjeep
this will be my 15th year of driving topless, doorless and mirrorless - never had an issue

love it
Old 03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

most cops dont say anything but if you get the cop trying to reach quota they will stop you
Old 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hummin64
HAHA thanks for the response, I get the impression the actual law on this is as clear as your understanding! I'll be making some mirrors this week barring anyone saying that it's not ok, or that I need to pay Mass extra and put a sticker on my hood (sorry had to take a dig at those stupid off road registration stickers we have to get now)

thanks again
off road stickers??? what are those all about?

Quick Reply: Law on driving without doors in MA?