Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

2.5 TeraFlex or 2 Inch Rancho lift

Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 TeraFlex or 2 Inch Rancho lift

I'm new to the jeep world and need help deciding what lift to go with. I've read some other responses over these two lifts but I still can't make my mind up. I am running 33s right now on my 2011 2 dr JK but I think I will move up to 35s when I need tires next. Are the Rancho shocks way better than the TeraFlex? Would I need to get geo brackets or any track bars? Would 33s look dumb with stock fender flares and a lift until I could get the 35s? I want to make sure I do everything right!
Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

No, 33’s won’t look redonk with stock fenders and 2.5” lift. Several run 33s with 2.5” and are happy. 35’s look a bit better IMO, but you won’t be laughed off the street or anything.

Have you read through Dirtman’s sticky on lifts at the top of the modified section? Read and absorb all that info. I think it’s really best to understand everything that needs to be addressed, and why it needs to be addressed. Then, make a list of everything. A lot of times I think people jump in to this and think “oh, the lift is $1k, or $2k, or $2500” and that is gonna be it….done, lift and move down the road happy. Typically there is so much more that isn’t really considered. People think that they bought this “kit” that is packaged together and think it’s a 1-box solution and everything will be proper once done, but that isn’t always the case. If you read and have a firm grasp of all the components, you’ll be much better off. Understand WHY you need adjustable this or that’s…..WHY you need a means of correcting your caster….WHY the you should cycle your suspension and measure for proper bumpstops and shocks. A lot of times people also don’t consider budgeting for upgraded steering components as well…..larger tires put more wear on drag link, tie rods, and ball joints. This is a starting point to really be honest with yourself about budget and how you’re going to use the jeep.

Is there some reason you’ve narrowed it down to just those two brands? Sometime that appeals to you about them? Price? Level of completeness? I would say that I think there are better routes to go. If you were just going to buy springs alone, would Teraflex or Rancho springs by your top choice? When you compare the prices of springs alone…..there’s not a huge difference in costs between quality springs and low end springs….but people get caught up in a package price. If you were going to buy shocks alone, would you choose those particular shocks that come with those packages? Look at the prices of them individually and then compare to the prices of a better quality shock. I think what I always see is that if you’re looking at individual components, it is often times more clear that a better quality part isn’t that much more money….or it’s close to the same, but, when looking at a whole package it’s harder to see the forest through the trees.

These types of threads are typically hard to give good advice without knowing your budget. If you say what the budget is and intended use of vehcile, you can get some realistic advice on what you may be able to accomplish. That advice changes from situation to situation, but at least it can be more tailored to you....or at least people can help lay out a plan and give you things to think about.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info I'll definitely check out that thread! I had read a lot of people seemed to run that 2.5 Teraflex with the Rancho 9000 and I found a kit with all that included. If I'm being honest, I would only have time to hit the trails about once a month, but I could make a weekend out of it. I'm not too experienced with rocks but I'd like to be, probably more trail driving and camping. It's my DD and I read that going more than 2.5 lift and 35s require some additional parts and maybe re gearing. If I was to pick up a kit today my budget would be around 1000-1500. In a month or two I could stretch that to 2000. The price point of the Teraflex caught my eye and I thought I could save some money to use on tires but I'd rather have a better equipped lift kit and worry about my tires after the New Years when i'll really need them.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With our system you can fit 33's or 35" tires.
What are your long term goals?

Originally Posted by tmac834
I'm new to the jeep world and need help deciding what lift to go with. I've read some other responses over these two lifts but I still can't make my mind up. I am running 33s right now on my 2011 2 dr JK but I think I will move up to 35s when I need tires next. Are the Rancho shocks way better than the TeraFlex? Would I need to get geo brackets or any track bars? Would 33s look dumb with stock fender flares and a lift until I could get the 35s? I want to make sure I do everything right!
Old 08-01-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If I could do it over

When it was time to replace the 33's on my JKX I couldn't afford the 38's I really wanted, a proper lift, and the front/rear axles durable enough to turn those monsters; I went with 35's and the TeraFlex 2.5" budget boost. I'm not knocking TeraFlex products at all, but if I could do over again, I'd have spent more and either chosen the TeraFlex 2.5" lift w/shocks (TeraFlex budget boost is just shock adapters and oversized rubber bumpers) or the comparable Rancho version that is also about half the price of the TF version. I also sometimes think I should have just stayed with 33's and saved my money until I could do a proper upgrade. Because it now seems silly to me, that one day I'll have to undo that afternoon's worth of work I put in, only to redo what I should have done right the first time. Consider your options more carefully than I did, and try to plan ahead better as well, so you won't double up on the amount of work and money you'll have to put in.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ericinMN1970
When it was time to replace the 33's on my JKX I couldn't afford the 38's I really wanted, a proper lift, and the front/rear axles durable enough to turn those monsters; I went with 35's and the TeraFlex 2.5" budget boost. I'm not knocking TeraFlex products at all, but if I could do over again, I'd have spent more and either chosen the TeraFlex 2.5" lift w/shocks (TeraFlex budget boost is just shock adapters and oversized rubber bumpers) or the comparable Rancho version that is also about half the price of the TF version. I also sometimes think I should have just stayed with 33's and saved my money until I could do a proper upgrade. Because it now seems silly to me, that one day I'll have to undo that afternoon's worth of work I put in, only to redo what I should have done right the first time. Consider your options more carefully than I did, and try to plan ahead better as well, so you won't double up on the amount of work and money you'll have to put in.
I built mine twice.....and I agree...it sux. So much wasted money. It was such a steep learning curve and had I only know what I know now.....

Anyhow, that is a big part of the reason I really push for reading, understanding all the parts, and buying quality stuff the first time.....and realizing it will likely cost more than what you originally think
Old 08-02-2017, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ericinMN1970
I was looking at the 2.5 teraflex with the rancho shocks. It looked like a bunch of people run that as kind of a beginner set, would it would be worth picking that up?
Old 08-03-2017, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at the 2.5 teraflex with the rancho shocks. It looked like a bunch of people run that as kind of a beginner set, would it would be worth picking that up?
Here's what I bought when I installed my budget boost: https://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0005_07.htm

Whatever you choose, don't chose that! In hindsight, I should have went with one of the other comparably priced, entry level lift kits that included longer springs and shocks instead of adaptors and bump pads. That way I'd have had more articulation when crawling over rocks, stumps, crevasses, and whatever else happens to be out on the trails. Because I chose the kit I chose, I'm lifted and can accommodate the 35's with no rubbing...except when I'm on the trails and encountering the afore mentioned obstacles. I have the same limited stock JK levels of articulation and I tend to rub a lot when the object I'm crawling over or through, pushes the limits of my suspension. It does impact the fun factor and I find myself bypassing obstacles I'd really like to try and conquer.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rancho
With our system you can fit 33's or 35" tires.
What are your long term goals?

If I'm being honest, I would only have time to hit the trails about once a month, but I could make a weekend out of it. I'm not too experienced with rocks but I'd like to be, probably more trail driving and camping. It's my DD and I read that going more than 2.5 lift and 35s require some additional parts and maybe re gearing. I was going to go with the 2.5 inch Teraflex spring lift with the rancho shocks, it's my DD as well so I'd like to keep road functionality too. Would I need to pick up any more hardware?
Old 08-04-2017, 09:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Is this the Rancho "kit" that is being referenced here?

https://www.quadratec.com/brand/ranc...-%202.5%20inch

If that is what is being suggested, um, yes, that's not quite complete.....at least if we're still going to operate under this -

I want to make sure I do everything right!
If you like the Rancho RS9000 shocks, by all means go with those and pair it with a lift you like. I'd still submit that you can get a better dual rated coil for not much more than those Teraflex coils....and you won't be looking to replace them down the line either. Even for us that wheel often or harder, our jeeps are on the pavement most of the time. Most of them are not dedicated trail rigs, and as such, are built to drive nicely on the pavement as well. That said, you have to build it right, address the proper things, and understand the what, why's, and how's. You cannot throw $500 at it and expect it to drive nicely. Even lifting it 2-2.5" is going to lower your caster.....and you're going to notice that when driving. Every. Time. You. Drive. It.

shocks (looks like you want Rancho RS9000)
springs (pick some quality 2.5" spring)
brake line brackets (generic)
bump stops (generic)
preferably an adjustable track bar (pick your favorite model from various brands)
raised rear TB bracket (generic)
rear sway bar links (generic)
and some sort of caster correction that does not read "cam bolts" (AEV brackets, Rancho brackets, Rubicon Express brackets.....or choose from a slew of adjustable control arms)

Bare bones, that's basically what you're looking for.

Last edited by resharp001; 08-04-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.5 TeraFlex or 2 Inch Rancho lift