Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Another new guy, saying hi

Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new guy, saying hi

I've been lurking for about the last month after picking up my 2011 JKU Sport that's replacing my 2002 WK Limited 4.7 HO that I drive for work. Its a 24S.

I am not new to jeeps, I have owned
84 CJ that I did a 4.3 conversion to (this was fun vehicle!) oh, I also built my own fuel injection harness for it, so I could twist it all kinds of angles and still get fuel.
90 YJ that I swapped a 2.8 V6 and then a 3.4 V6 into in place of the 4 banger (this should have been a popular conversion, but I don't know anyone else that did it)
93 YJ (first new car out of college)
96 XJ
99 TJ
02 WK
04 TJ

Call it a mall crawler if you want, but I am not using this for wheeling. I am using it for work. When you need a go anywhere utilitarian SUV, there is only one choice.

The first week in the field, my JK saw 4 wheel drive 4 of those days and 4 lo once, a water crossing, a black mud road, snow, a cattle field with 4 days of rain. Gravel is a daily occurrence.

Have a laugh on me, my first modification? Mud Guards! LOL. Whoever thought to funnel mud at the driver door handle didn't think about spending an afternoon crushing cow pies with me! Second mod? A pair of Weathertech liners.

I am missing some of the creature comforts of my WK, but I didn't want a Sahara. With the money I saved, I'll be adding the comfort items to finish out the MC Package. The dealer was unable to add them in my time frame. I added a bluetooth handsfree from Parrot (again necessary for work), will be adding remote start and heated leather (yes, I know how many of you feel about leather, but my butt has spent 8 years in leather WK limited heated seats). I've read and read and read for the past month about mods on here and have the skills to do them myself. If anyone has a Sahara Tan Jeep with black interior and leather, I'd love to see what color your seats are. I'll be ordering the Katzkin leather shortly, but need help picking a color to go with the Sahara Tan. And I'll be adding a cargo rack in the back for my tools and telescoping ladder. Spoke to Garvin, they say their kit fits the 2011. It looks like the Kilby will work if you want to cut the plastic rollbar covers. The Tuffy security deck might be my best choice as I carry expensive tools and computer equipment for work. Its unclear to me if it requires cutting the plastic roll bar covers in the 2011. I saw a write up on here where a member had to cut for the Tuffy, but the instructions don't seem to indicate the need to do any cutting. I am open to suggestions on the above and pictures are worth 1000 words (which it seems like I just typed).

This forum is a great source of knowledge,

Chris

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 05-12-2011 at 02:56 AM. Reason: blacklisted mfg.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love that color!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

welcome to the forum.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

welcome to the group!

Sam
Old 05-11-2011, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by inverse121
I've been lurking for about the last month after picking up my 2011 JKU Sport that's replacing my 2002 WK Limited 4.7 HO that I drive for work. Its a 24S.

I am not new to jeeps, I have owned
84 CJ that I did a 4.3 conversion to (this was fun vehicle!) oh, I also built my own fuel injection harness for it, so I could twist it all kinds of angles and still get fuel.
90 YJ that I swapped a 2.8 V6 and then a 3.4 V6 into in place of the 4 banger (this should have been a popular conversion, but I don't know anyone else that did it)
93 YJ (first new car out of college)
96 XJ
99 TJ
02 WK
04 TJ

Call it a mall crawler if you want, but I am not using this for wheeling. I am using it for work. When you need a go anywhere utilitarian SUV, there is only one choice.

The first week in the field, my JK saw 4 wheel drive 4 of those days and 4 lo once, a water crossing, a black mud road, snow, a cattle field with 4 days of rain. Gravel is a daily occurrence.

Have a laugh on me, my first modification? Mud Guards! LOL. Whoever thought to funnel mud at the driver door handle didn't think about spending an afternoon crushing cow pies with me! Second mod? A pair of Weathertech liners.

I am missing some of the creature comforts of my WK, but I didn't want a Sahara. With the money I saved, I'll be adding the comfort items to finish out the MC Package. The dealer was unable to add them in my time frame. I added a bluetooth handsfree from Parrot (again necessary for work), will be adding remote start and heated leather (yes, I know how many of you feel about leather, but my butt has spent 8 years in leather WK limited heated seats). I've read and read and read for the past month about mods on here and have the skills to do them myself. If anyone has a Sahara Tan Jeep with black interior and leather, I'd love to see what color your seats are. I'll be ordering the Katzkin leather shortly, but need help picking a color to go with the Sahara Tan. And I'll be adding a cargo rack in the back for my tools and telescoping ladder. Spoke to Garvin, they say their kit fits the 2011. It looks like the Kilby will work if you want to cut the plastic rollbar covers. The Tuffy security deck might be my best choice as I carry expensive tools and computer equipment for work. Its unclear to me if it requires cutting the plastic roll bar covers in the 2011. I saw a write up on here where a member had to cut for the Tuffy, but the instructions don't seem to indicate the need to do any cutting. I am open to suggestions on the above and pictures are worth 1000 words (which it seems like I just typed).

Chris
Welcome!! now go get you some big tires and some scratches!!

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 05-12-2011 at 03:02 AM. Reason: edited quoted text. - blacklisted mfg.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by inverse121

The Tuffy security deck might be my best choice as I carry expensive tools and computer equipment for work. Its unclear to me if it requires cutting the plastic roll bar covers in the 2011. I saw a write up on here where a member had to cut for the Tuffy, but the instructions don't seem to indicate the need to do any cutting. I am open to suggestions on the above and pictures are worth 1000 words (which it seems like I just typed).

Chris
Welcome sir!
In regards to the #275-01 Deck Enclosure, you'll have no troubles installing it. It will work with or without the subwoofer in the back AND all the plastic stuff as well! There are many good dealers on the forum here and I'm confident they can get you a great deal!
Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Welcome to the forum
Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank for the kind welcomes.

Originally Posted by jcrcan25
Welcome!! now go get you some big tires and some scratches!!
Thanks for the welcome jcrcan. Sorry, no big tires, but whatever scratches happen will happen. I really did buy this for utilitarian reasons. My hobby is antique motorcycles. I made sure to read your posts before replying and I read that you are somewhere from 80%-95% off road only with your jeep and drive a Honda otherwise, but I didn't see any pics of your rig in any of those posts.

Originally Posted by tuffy2
Welcome sir!
In regards to the #275-01 Deck Enclosure, you'll have no troubles installing it. It will work with or without the subwoofer in the back AND all the plastic stuff as well! There are many good dealers on the forum here and I'm confident they can get you a great deal!
Thanks, I contacted Northridge 4x4 and its on the way to me right now.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Welcome to the club!

Quick Reply: Another new guy, saying hi