JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   The New Member Registry (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-member-registry-21/)
-   -   From fast cars to a jeep (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/new-member-registry-21/fast-cars-jeep-273129/)

fasteddie 04-26-2013 09:57 PM

From fast cars to a jeep

Just wanted to say I had to join this forum after I read a few threads. A huge group of great people helping other people. I came from building hot rods to having a kid and now a 07 sahara unlimited. I love the jeep and its perfect for my small family. But I have had it a month now and getting that gear head itch with it to do something crazy to it. I have a few questions about what I what I want to do and what I can do. Im not wanting something that somebody else has around here in my town. Plenty of jeeps but no head turners. I want to do a 4 inch lift with 37s or 40s. But im trying to find out how far I can go with it before I have to sell my house to buy parts. Lol I want to wheel it a little but nothing crazy. Maybr a small mud hole or super easy trails. Nothing crazy at all. I knoe the tires will effect gas and gearing but I plan to re gear asap. Thanks

HannibleMP 04-26-2013 10:14 PM

My first question.. What do you plan on doing to your axles? Unless you put on D44 front axles you'll want to beef up the axles before putting on such large tires. Otherwise your likely to have problems.

fasteddie 04-27-2013 05:26 AM

Well thats why im asking. If I do 37s and dont wheel it will I be ok?

1995nscajeep 04-27-2013 05:42 AM

The general rule I've found is for 35s u need a gusseted d30 37s u need a d44 and 40s u need a d60

fasteddie 04-27-2013 06:24 AM

So I cant run 37s with stock set up if I dont wheel it?

Jayrubicon 04-27-2013 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by fasteddie (Post 3534155)
So I cant run 37s with stock set up if I dont wheel it?

You can run 37's no problem for daily driving and lite wheeling ( dirt roads, two tracks). I did in my 04 rubi with a 4" and 37's with not so much a hiccup.
Once you start twisting up the frame or hauling ass with it Offroad stuff will likely get bent.
Gussets and upgraded axles are not needed when mall crawling mainly.

dahreno 04-27-2013 07:11 AM

I say , go back to hot rods . sounds like your only concern is how it looks .I don't know why you own a Jeep if you never go wheeling . You need to show that kid what the great outdoors is like , not how to stick out in a crowd with big tires . Another poser .

fasteddie 04-27-2013 07:11 AM

Cool thats what I was thinking. Im not gonna launch it or crawl it. Just something nice to drive around. Do u know how much back spacing ill need on the wheels? I bought moto metals with no much back spacing. Think ill have to run spacers?

Jayrubicon 04-27-2013 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by fasteddie (Post 3534195)
Cool thats what I was thinking. Im not gonna launch it or crawl it. Just something nice to drive around. Do u know how much back spacing ill need on the wheels? I bought moto metals with no much back spacing. Think ill have to run spacers?

Yeah almost definitely. Not sure of the amount of BS that those wheels come with so it's hard to say. Right now I run 35" MTR/K with Procomp wheels w/5" BS and a 3.5" RK lift with no rubbing but they're close

Jayrubicon 04-27-2013 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by dahreno (Post 3534193)
I say , go back to hot rods . sounds like your only concern is how it looks .I don't know why you own a Jeep if you never go wheeling . You need to show that kid what the great outdoors is like , not how to stick out in a crowd with big tires . Another poser .

Anger issues?