Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

From fast cars to a jeep

Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From fast cars to a jeep

Just wanted to say I had to join this forum after I read a few threads. A huge group of great people helping other people. I came from building hot rods to having a kid and now a 07 sahara unlimited. I love the jeep and its perfect for my small family. But I have had it a month now and getting that gear head itch with it to do something crazy to it. I have a few questions about what I what I want to do and what I can do. Im not wanting something that somebody else has around here in my town. Plenty of jeeps but no head turners. I want to do a 4 inch lift with 37s or 40s. But im trying to find out how far I can go with it before I have to sell my house to buy parts. Lol I want to wheel it a little but nothing crazy. Maybr a small mud hole or super easy trails. Nothing crazy at all. I knoe the tires will effect gas and gearing but I plan to re gear asap. Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

My first question.. What do you plan on doing to your axles? Unless you put on D44 front axles you'll want to beef up the axles before putting on such large tires. Otherwise your likely to have problems.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Well thats why im asking. If I do 37s and dont wheel it will I be ok?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The general rule I've found is for 35s u need a gusseted d30 37s u need a d44 and 40s u need a d60
Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

So I cant run 37s with stock set up if I dont wheel it?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fasteddie
So I cant run 37s with stock set up if I dont wheel it?
You can run 37's no problem for daily driving and lite wheeling ( dirt roads, two tracks). I did in my 04 rubi with a 4" and 37's with not so much a hiccup.
Once you start twisting up the frame or hauling ass with it Offroad stuff will likely get bent.
Gussets and upgraded axles are not needed when mall crawling mainly.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I say , go back to hot rods . sounds like your only concern is how it looks .I don't know why you own a Jeep if you never go wheeling . You need to show that kid what the great outdoors is like , not how to stick out in a crowd with big tires . Another poser .
Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Cool thats what I was thinking. Im not gonna launch it or crawl it. Just something nice to drive around. Do u know how much back spacing ill need on the wheels? I bought moto metals with no much back spacing. Think ill have to run spacers?
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fasteddie
Cool thats what I was thinking. Im not gonna launch it or crawl it. Just something nice to drive around. Do u know how much back spacing ill need on the wheels? I bought moto metals with no much back spacing. Think ill have to run spacers?
Yeah almost definitely. Not sure of the amount of BS that those wheels come with so it's hard to say. Right now I run 35" MTR/K with Procomp wheels w/5" BS and a 3.5" RK lift with no rubbing but they're close
Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dahreno
I say , go back to hot rods . sounds like your only concern is how it looks .I don't know why you own a Jeep if you never go wheeling . You need to show that kid what the great outdoors is like , not how to stick out in a crowd with big tires . Another poser .
Anger issues?

Quick Reply: From fast cars to a jeep