Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

I made it!!!

Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowendrider
Looks great...JL takeoffs?
JL take-offs, yes sir!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by carid
Congrats on your purchase - you've made a great choice. Make sure to show us some more pictures, when you have a chance. What are your plans for this beauty?
No major plans right now. Just drive it and learn it. Maybe install some headlights that are useful, particularly on hi beam. The car drives fine with the 3.21's but 4.10's might make the gear ranges more useable although I kind of like them where they are now - there is less shifting at lower speeds. Who needs 6th gear anyway? The steering has a lot of play at center, and so maybe I will try to track down the cause of that. Basically, it drives smooth on road, on highway, and off road, and I love it. Thought about tossing in some Fox shocks.

Oh, and I have to fix this F#$%*(@D gas tank fill up issue. So far, the only complaint that I have, and it SUCKS to have barely squeeze the pump handle and spend 15 minutes of my life filling up one tank of gas.

Last edited by stefano462; 03-19-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

CNNX321AC, I think is the part number you're looking for. It's on eBay, Amazon, etc, and you'll usually pay $20-25 but it's worth it. There is a hose that lives just above that line and you'll be tempted to zip tie it super tight to your newly installed tube- don't. Loosely secure it because at the gas tank side is a super low quality plastic that likes to crack and produce P0456 codes.

Last edited by karls10jk; 03-20-2019 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Corrected part number
Old 03-20-2019, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
CNNX321AC, I think is the part number you're looking for. It's on eBay, Amazon, etc, and you'll usually pay $20-25 but it's worth it. There is a hose that lives just above that line and you'll be tempted to zip tie it super tight to your newly installed tube- don't. Loosely secure it because at the gas tank side is a super low quality plastic that likes to crack and produce P0456 codes.
I will give that a shot. The internet seems to be telling me that I need to drop the tank and remove and reshape the rollover valve bobber.

To be clear, my problem is not that the gas overflows at the end of a fill up. My problem is that gas will overflow from empty to full unless the nozzle lever is squeezed no more than the minimum needed to flow fuel from the pump.

Last edited by stefano462; 03-20-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Okay, I replaced the filler hose assembly, and it helped slightly. Instead of taking 15 minutes to fill up it takes 12. I can pump fuel at a low setting but eventually it will back up and stop numerous times no matter how slow I pump. The main difference is that no fuel washes back out of the filler neck - so that is a positive. It appears that I really need to drop the tank to access the rollover valve and modify or remove it.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm curious how your rollover piece got messed up. Be careful with the lines on top of the fuel tank, the connections on the tank are a brittle plastic, particularly the smallest one that's towards the rear, it vents out towards the fuel input at the body. Just moving it a little more than it liked set off a Pxxxx code for a small evap leak. New tanks are $300+, even at junk yards.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

There is a defect in the design or construction of the stopper valve which causes it to get lodged in the up/almost closed position. If you google, you will see it is a common problem from 2007-2012 or so. There is actually a lifetime warranty on 2007-2008 JK gas tanks for this reason. My understanding is that Jeep originally replaced the tanks (and sometimes more than once) to resolve the problem, but then later switched to replacing the filler hose and adding a valve inside that assembly. The "fix" is to remove the rollover valve, sand down the nibs on the side of the plunger body, and reassemble. I am not interested in going to all that trouble right now, and I will see how livable things are with what I have now. thanks for the heads on the fragility of the components.

Quick Reply: I made it!!!