Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

LimitedSlip New Member Introduction

Old 02-28-2024, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile LimitedSlip New Member Introduction

Hello Everyone! I am a new member to jk-forum. I own a 2012 JK with 34,000 original miles. Mine is a 6 sp. manual. I've had 3.73 gears installed (replacing the anemic 3.21 ratio it came with) and Powertrax geared limited slip differentials installed in both axles. I also installed an X-Bull 10,000 lb. winch myself. I haven't gone off-roading 2 yet, I bought my JK for it's abilities in snow. It has proven to be absolutely amazing in snow with my 32" Firestone Destination tires.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts

Welcome to the forum LimitedSlip sounds like you are having fun with your Wrangler. Very low mileage for that year, must be a creampuff. I notice your location is "effort" is that a place or a feeling?
The following 2 users liked this post by XJRefugee:
LimitedSlip (02-28-2024), Sixty4x4 (03-02-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Hello XJ, Thank you for your welcome! I do love my JK "Popeye". I've always liked 2 door Wranglers and now at 70 years old I finally own one! It's very similar to driving my Deuce and a Half "Brutus" whom I drove and wrenched on for 12 years. I'm also a long time member of the Steel Soldiers MV forum. Effort is a town in the Poconos in PA. It's ski lodge country and so the roads are very hilly and winding. We get a fair amount of snow up here, so I finally decided to trade my 2008 Mustang GT convertible on a much more snow capable vehicle. I selected the Wrangler because it's more truck like than the other SUVs and also because I could get a manual transmission. I've never owned an automatic transmission vehicle in 54 years of driving. I enjoy driving a mini-Deuce that has a much higher top speed. Both are similar in that they are both rugged and exceptionally capable off road. I see you live in Arizona. That's neat. I bet you have plenty of places to go off-roading there! And I doubt you worry very much about rust in Arizona. I'm very jealous of that fact. Hope to see you in this forum often! Owen
Old 02-28-2024, 12:26 PM
JK Newbie

XJ, This was Brutus my bobbed Deuce. I recently sold him. Owen
The following 2 users liked this post by LimitedSlip:
Jay2013jk (03-02-2024), Stargazin (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Welcome! You know, I used to think 70 was old......now, I think that's just getting to the age where you can do whatever the hell you want to and just enjoy living! Brutus is/was a dang cool looking truck! You may have found a diamond in the rough with your JK. Hard to find em like that these days.
The following users liked this post:
LimitedSlip (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Hi resharp001,
Thank you for your kind words on Brutus. Yeah, Brutus won a Warn Winch trophy for "Most Capable Offroad Truck" in 2014 at a 4wd truck show. I have many fond memories of driving to truck shows with my then 19-year-old son. We would take turns driving Brutus there and back. I bought my Jeep from Carvana. They screwed me over. The brakes were totally shot. I mean it would almost veer off the road under mild braking. Inspected and certified hell. After a few warranty battles, I finally got them to pay in full for the repairs. The original owners of my Jeep lived in Massachusetts, so there was more rust underneath than you would expect. I cleaned and applied POR15 to the undersides.

Driving my JK "Popeye" has softened the pain of selling Brutus. I felt right at home in Popeye's driver's seat. The narrow cab, Flat windshield, and long throw shifter felt just right to me. I even have tall knobby tires on him that give him a very military look. I named him Popeye after Popeye the Sailor Man in reflection of my four years in the Navy and my Dad's Navy service in the Pacific during WW2. Thank you very much for your reply resharp001. I appreciate it. I feel welcomed here and hope to make many great friends!
Old 03-02-2024, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

LS that POR is great stuff. I use it as it IS the only paint that stays on and is 100% sealed, not porous like the rest. Expensive and worth it and I use etching fluid under it first.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 03-02-2024 at 05:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Smile

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
LS that POR is great stuff. I use it as it IS the only paint that stays on and is 100% sealed, not porous like the rest. Expensive and worth it and I use etching fluid under it first.
Does it hold up well for you Sixty? The PVD (Pennsylvania Vehicle Destroyer) they put on the roads up here destroyed my Deuce and a Half. I'm trying to prevent my much loved JK from suffering the same fate.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Welcome to JKF. Brutus way cool; on to rust stuff.. Here is info from another forum: http://www.wranglerforum.com/threads...#post-20569961
Old 03-02-2024, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Welcome to JKF. Brutus way cool; on to rust stuff.. Here is info from another forum: http://www.wranglerforum.com/threads...#post-20569961
Thank you Jay for you're welcome! Yes, Brutus was a lot of FUN, work, and expense over the years. I see that you're a PA guy too. I'm going to look up you're county to see where you are. My guess would be further West than Northampton county. Thank you for the link! I'll check it out right now. Owen

Quick Reply: LimitedSlip New Member Introduction