Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Newbie Jeep owner and Texas Resident (DFW)

Old 07-05-2018, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Jeep owner and Texas Resident (DFW)

Whats up guys and gals, Newbie to the forum and to owning a Jeep. We just picked up a 2012 Unlimited sport for my wife after moving to Texas from MS in April. Hopefully We will fit in around here. Already purchased her some new rims and 33" nittos but looking for a lift 2.5-3" at the moment. Anyone have any recommendations for a shop to do the install? Wouldnt mind doing the install myself but my shop and tools are still in MS so only have one toolbox here. Hoping to make another trip to get the rest of my tools in a couple months but in meantime want to get this Jeep looking right.

Thanks for any input. Looking forward to leaning from the forum.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Welcome. I'm in the DFW area as well, but west of Fort Worth, which may as well be New Mexico in relation to you. LOL. You're way north, so pretty far from you, but the guys over at Dallas Offroad in the Royal/I-35 area in Dallas are great.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks ill take a look at them. I priced it at the 4wheelparts in Dallas and Plano. Man what a price difference...almost $400 more at Plano than what Dallas wanted. Your not just to far from me. Im use to driving when we lived in MS dang near everywhere was 2 hrs away.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Around these parts, I'd avoid 4WP like the plague. Just about any shop would be better than 4WP service IMO. If I were anywhere close, I'd come help ya out. You want to drive to Willow Park and do most the labor, you're welcome to come over and save the labor. I'm willing to help....Just plan on bringing a 12-pack of Miller Lite.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah I figured that. The 4WP in Dallas is literally next door to my office so it was more out of convenience that I checked with them. Dude I really appreciate that offer and would be interested in taking you up on that once I get the lift bought. If I thought I could pick up one tomorrow Id be ready to start on it right then. I dont mind doing the work at all if I were in MS with all my tools and shop. I still have to settle on a lift. If I dont have to pay labor it broadens my options. Do you have any recommendations? Im only going 33.s at the moment but looking at getting a 2.5-3 so I can fit 35's in the future. Basically will be a pavement princess for the next 3-4 years so no real off roading. Just want something that the handling doesnt go to crap since we will be making some trips back to MS a couple times a year.

Kinda thinking about Rubicon Express 2.5 Inch Standard Coil Lift Kit with Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks

Last edited by bamadams; 07-06-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

If it were me, and for my wife, and not getting in to real offroading, I'd throw a 2.5" TF budget boost (pucks), I'd replace the shocks instead of using extensions, I'd get an adjustable front track bar (to perfectly center the axle), and either control arm brackets or front lower control arms (to re-adjust caster higher), throw 35's on and call it a day for a few pavement years. Budget for some decent ball joints regardless (cuz factory are pos and 35's will take their toll eventually), possibly front drive shaft (seen em go before 30k miles even on this set up), and you're set for a bit. Take the money you save from a real lift and buy some hoist for the top, an underseat lockbox, and enjoy that thing.

Dead serious. If you care to make that drive over, happy to help. It's 1+ hrs from you though....taking toll roads. To throw on a budget boost and shocks, shouldn't be more than $250 anywhere you look....even local. Might even find someone on CL or FB within a few miles of you. Looking at full arms and such, I can see that being a decent bit more.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Heard anything on the the Rough Country 2.5-inch Series II Suspension Lift Kit? It comes with front and rear coil spring spacers, brake line brackets, shock relocation brackets, rear track bar bracket and sway bar links. Add the adjustable front track bar and Rough Country Front Control Arm Geometry Correction Brackets. This route would be around $430. Later on I can add new shocks. Should be able to keep it within budget going this route and have some spare money.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by bamadams
Heard anything on the the Rough Country 2.5-inch Series II Suspension Lift Kit? It comes with front and rear coil spring spacers, brake line brackets, shock relocation brackets, rear track bar bracket and sway bar links. Add the adjustable front track bar and Rough Country Front Control Arm Geometry Correction Brackets. This route would be around $430. Later on I can add new shocks. Should be able to keep it within budget going this route and have some spare money.
I’m not a fan of RC in general, but that’s just my opinion. I think some go that route cuz they’re familiar with the name from truck suspension. For Jeeps, there are better things out there. That said, for the use you’ve described, that RC budget boost would probably fit the bill. You see many more Teraflex BB pucks out there, but that costs a little more. In general, brake line extension brackets are common. The shock extensions are a means of hobbling by till you can get some appropriate shocks. You’re definitely on the right track of adding some control arm brackets to tweak your caster. I’d look at AEV or Rubicon Express instead though, as they provide a few mounting options and they don’t cost but a couple dollars more. I think RC only provides 1 (I could be wrong on that though). An adjustable TB will help get that axle dead center again.

I would only say this…..if you go to upgrade in the future, don’t feel like you have to stay with RC. If you ever buy arms or additional components, really evaluate your options. Totally get that very focused on budget at the moment, and for some pavement use that is probably fine. Correcting caster is the biggest thing. If the package comes with cam bolts, just do yourself a favor and throw em in the trash. When it comes to shocks….just bypass anything like RC, Rubicon Express, or Pro Comp. Blisteins and Fox both run a bit firm, but are good shocks. Ranchos might be a good option. Many like the 9000 series that are adjustable, but they run a bit more for that feature.

Quick Reply: Newbie Jeep owner and Texas Resident (DFW)