Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Should I lift

Old 12-11-2019, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I lift

I have a 2009 jk Sahara and want to know details and opinions from people more experienced than myself. I am looking to get some wider and possibly taller tires.
-I want opinions on getting a lift kit or not reasons for both. -
-Or just getting new wheels and tires (no lift).
-Or going with stock rims wider tires and wheel
-i also want to know the widest tire some of you have ran on stock rims with or without spacers.
spacers and are wheel spacers even a good idea .
I should mention I won’t be rock crawling in it but will do some lighter trails and off-roading on the weekends it is still my daily driver. I want pros and cons from those of you who have ran or are running these options.

Last edited by Bclev777; 12-11-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Read my link about lifts as it will pretty much cover the info you are looking for.
Wheel adapters are what you would run t widen the stance for bigger wider tires. Spacers are shims that fit between the wheel and hub. Hub centric adapters are fine as long as you install them properly. A skinny 33" tire will fit but if you are looking for a 12.5" tire you will need some wheels or adapters. I would really look at the gearing you have, if you have 3.21 even going to 33" tires will suck on the road. I ran 33x12.5" tires on my 07 6 speed with 3.21 gears and it sucked going over the many overpasses in Illinois. If you have an automatic it is even worse. Gears are $$$ so that may play into your mods.
I would recommend going with a 35" tire, gears and lockers then head to Badlands and have a blast.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=TheDirtman;4354382]Read my link about lifts as it will pretty much cover the info you are looking for.
Wheel adapters are what you would run t widen the stance for bigger wider tires. Spacers are shims that fit between the wheel and hub. Hub centric adapters are fine as long as you install them properly. A skinny 33" tire will fit but if you are looking for a 12.5" tire you will need some wheels or adapters. I would really look at the gearing you have, if you have 3.21 even going to 33" tires will suck on the road. I ran 33x12.5" tires on my 07 6 speed with 3.21 gears and it sucked going over the many overpasses in Illinois. If you have an automatic it is even worse. Gears are $$$ so that may play into your mods.
I would recommend going with a 35" tire, gears and lockers then head to Badlands and have a blast.[/QUOT
ok about how much would getting a lift cost both is I do it or if I have a shop do it (an average cost you’d say) cause I don’t know if I could find the time to do it myself.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I depends on the level of lift you want to get. A complete 2"-2.5" lift with shocks will run you about $1500 for a daily driver and weekend warrior. Higher lift heights will require more things like adjustable control arms, high steer, and maybe driveshafts, more $$$. The 2"-2.5" lift should take around 6 hours to do and expect shop rates to run $100-125 per hour. Gears and lockers will run you $2500-$3500 depending on the locker.

Stay away from the cheap lifts like Rough Country, Zone, BDS, RK, TF, unless you are just going to look at a coil spacer lift which would be your cheapest route. These low cost coil lifts you find are incomplete and typically require more components for good on road manners which in the end cost you more then buying a complete lift to begin with.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Don't bother with a lift, I brings on other issues. Go with a little bit larger tire and just enjoy the vehicle. There's no reason for extensive modification for some light trails. Put the money into getting outside more often.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Don't bother with a lift, I brings on other issues. Go with a little bit larger tire and just enjoy the vehicle. There's no reason for extensive modification for some light trails. Put the money into getting outside more often.
That’s the route I was kind of leaning towards what are your opinions on lifts and wheel spacers?
Old 12-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

First line- don't bother with a lift. I have two jeeps, one with a lift and one without. Both run wheel spacers and I've not had a single issue out of them (over 200k miles on the 2010). Enjoy the vehicle as it is with a little beefier tire, then go from there in deciding what you need or want.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

First line- don't bother with a lift. I have two jeeps, one with a lift and one without. Both run wheel spacers and I've not had a single issue out of them (over 200k miles on the 2010). Enjoy the vehicle as it is with a little beefier tire, then go from there in deciding what you need or want.
on the one that isn’t lifted what size tires are you running?
Old 12-13-2019, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

285/70-17 on stock wheels with the spacers. The forum won't accept my picture upload right now, sorry.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

285/70-17 on stock wheels with the spacers. The forum won't accept my picture upload right now, sorry.
Do these tires have any rubbing for you like if the suspension flexed at all off-road with the fenders?

Quick Reply: Should I lift