Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Trying to make a decent build thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to make a decent build thread

Hey Everyone!

I've been a longtime lurker, but this is the first time ever I've decided to sit down and make a thread on any Jeep website. The fam and I survived Hurricane Micheal, but thinking we were evacuating from a Cat 2, we left the Jeep (hereby referred to as Jolene) in the garage. The ceiling ended up falling on her, and after pulling her out of the garage, she has been making a nice grind every time we press in the clutch, and her WCM is going out yay. Anyway, I've decided to make an account and document were we go from here. She's currently at the dealership, who are trying to tell me the driveshaft is the issue and that they'll replace it for 1300. Prior to this, they told us the starter was bad (I replaced it last June) and that the battery was bad (I charged it for them and brought it back).

As she sits now:

We've removed the stock fenders + liners and running boards. Replacements to come soon.
Clutch was replaced pre storm with a center force model.
Headers might have a crack on one side, and she has no mufflers at the moment.
She has LED lights throughout the interior and as RGB Halos in the front, 2 cubes in the front as well.
Although I hate the rims and am looking for replacement, the girl who drives her full time loves them so eh

I completely upgraded the stock sound system. She's running waterproof Polk speakers, Rockford tweeters, and her soundbar has been filled with Polyfill. She has a dedicated amp for the speakers, as well as a Sony head unit. I was going to add the Sub woofer, and then the clutch went out. lol.

So that's all there is to it! I have some plans this year and would love to share where she goes from here with everyone.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

oy... that is a lot of projects! Welcome to the forum... and use the "search" there are thousands of answers there!
Old 01-30-2019, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
oy... that is a lot of projects! Welcome to the forum... and use the "search" there are thousands of answers there!
Thank you!! I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on here to look at what others have done
Old 01-30-2019, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

$1300 to replace a driveshaft.....good grief. Hopefully you didn't do that. Looks like you have a good project on your hands there, but nice to see you're doing the work as it will be more rewarding. Any questions or issues along the way, just start a thread. Many on this forum are very responsive. Welcome.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
$1300 to replace a driveshaft.....good grief. Hopefully you didn't do that. Looks like you have a good project on your hands there, but nice to see you're doing the work as it will be more rewarding. Any questions or issues along the way, just start a thread. Many on this forum are very responsive. Welcome.
Yeah it was ridiculous! We have her home now, and will start working on stuff real soon. I'll create a new thread and throw everything on there. Have been soaking up info from here before I start.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome to JK-Forum! Would you like me to move this thread to our 'build' portion of the forum? That way, you can keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

That would be awesome!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

So a quick update!

Talking to my girl about the no start issue, she finally told me that the sway bar had malfunctioned at the same time as the no start... Hmmm....

So once again I get on the forums and find out that holy hell, the Electro Disco has been known to cause that same issue.

Went home on lunch one day and pulled the plug off. The inside of it was burnt to a crisp. Nice!
Pulled the fuse as well to make sure no power goes to it, I still have to actually disconnect remove it. I haven't had any starting issues since.
---

I crawled underneath Jolene (the Jeep as she will be called) make sure any bolts were tight especially around the tranny and, no grind. Shifts perfectly. WTF?... So that's one less thing I have to worry about.

---

Finally had some free time and bought her some fenders and a tailgate vent cover. I don't have pictures of the plugs but those are installed as well.

We went through and sanded down all the rust spots, and covered all the sheet metal with a spray on rubber coating (it will be covered by the fender anyway). It matched the texture of the fender quite nicely.
There were worst spots, but I didn't take many pictures of them.

Then bolted the fenders on/used the self tapping screws it required.

Then went around back and removed the spare tire holder. It wasn't able to hold our spare, so it had to go. The vent cover cleaned it up quite nicely.

Mandatory Show Off Pic

Last edited by Emmanuel Reynoso; 02-25-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Wording

Quick Reply: Trying to make a decent build thread