JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   NorCal (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/norcal-77/)
-   -   2015 day runs across the Rubicon (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/norcal-77/2015-day-runs-across-rubicon-320915/)

Az scooter 07-22-2015 08:04 PM

I might be in. It just depends on the timing.

BKGM Jeepers 07-23-2015 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Asinine (Post 4125337)
yes, it does. I run it on 3.5" with 35s and so do many others....

The week after Labor Day sucks for me because of work, but nearly any other week should be fine.

A "fully built rig" is simply real lockers and 35s or larger, plus sufficient lift to clear those tires under full articulation.

Anyone can run the Rubicon. All it takes is time and rock stacking. Stock rigs run that trail.

Our run will have no spotting. No rock stacking. Quick recoveries. Driving the line you watched in front of you.

Like I've said previously, the driver willl usually dictate if you're up for this type of run. I brought a guy from this board on 35s. He had no problems. It's all a matter of how comfortable you are with a nice day drive across a moderate trail. We won't be running old sleuce or little sleuce with this run, but we will run everything else.

Albino Lizard 07-24-2015 07:26 PM

A day trip can easily be done. We left Sacramento at 700 and made rubicon springs at 5. No hurrying, an hour for lunch. My buddy was on a tj with 33's.

BKGM Jeepers 07-29-2015 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4126327)
A day trip can easily be done. We left Sacramento at 700 and made rubicon springs at 5. No hurrying, an hour for lunch. My buddy was on a tj with 33's.

I agree. The main hold up is traffice. Either people coming towards you, or slowwww groups who won't pull over. Another problem I had was other group's breaking down and not getting off the trail for their fix.

Albino Lizard 07-29-2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4127951)
I agree. The main hold up is traffice. Either people coming towards you, or slowwww groups who won't pull over. Another problem I had was other group's breaking down and not getting off the trail for their fix.

We got stuck behind some guys going up Cadillac Hill that just parked right in the middle. Mid week a day run should be no problem. Weekend a little more challenging, still very doable.

BKGM Jeepers 07-30-2015 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4127956)
We got stuck behind some guys going up Cadillac Hill that just parked right in the middle. Mid week a day run should be no problem. Weekend a little more challenging, still very doable.

I've done maybe 20 mid-week day runs and not had problems, including one the week before the jamboree where I was able to chat with all the set up/rock stacking people. One Friday run was difficult because of reverse direction traffic, but that was unusual.

I've done about 5 weekend day trips, but the last time I did it I ran into the slowww drinking crowd who wouldn't pull over. That's why i never do weekend trips any more unless I'm in the October timeframe.

I used to do over nighters all the time, and even did 3 day trips a couple times. I just got bored at the pace. You have to really want to just hang out and enjoy the views so it's fun, or it's kind of boring. I was running with a group on this forum that planned 7 days up there. I went to my cabin instead. I can wheel behind my cabin and return to my bed on my front porch at night. Plus, no annoying bears...

cormac827 07-31-2015 10:04 AM

I have got a 2-dr on 33s and locked front and rear. Wouldn't this match up with 4dr on 35s or no? Most sites want 35s to run rubicon but I just moved from east coast so have no idea.

Albino Lizard 07-31-2015 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by cormac827 (Post 4128647)
I have got a 2-dr on 33s and locked front and rear. Wouldn't this match up with 4dr on 35s or no? Most sites want 35s to run rubicon but I just moved from east coast so have no idea.

You can get through on a 2 dr w/33's. I just went with a tj on 33's with no major issues.

DJ1 07-31-2015 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by cormac827 (Post 4128647)

As long as you have full skids, you should be good with that setup. You might turtle in a couple of spots but nothing you could winch out of or rock yourself out of if you have a few extra hands with you.

For these particular days runs though, I think the objective is more in the line of getting through on your own at a faster pace even though there maybe 2-3 other rigs running with you. So the 35's, lockers, full-skids, is ideally where you would like to be.

Having said that, I've run it in a 2-door, 35's, full-skids, and rear limited slip only but we weren't trying to get a record timed run.

cormac827 07-31-2015 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by DJ1 (Post 4128709)
As long as you have full skids, you should be good with that setup. You might turtle in a couple of spots but nothing you could winch out of or rock yourself out of if you have a few extra hands with you. For these particular days runs though, I think the objective is more in the line of getting through on your own at a faster pace even though there maybe 2-3 other rigs running with you. So the 35's, lockers, full-skids, is ideally where you would like to be. Having said that, I've run it in a 2-door, 35's, full-skids, and rear limited slip only but we weren't trying to get a record timed run.

That makes sense! Wouldn't wanna be a guy slowing people down! Gonna plan a weekend of it sometime soon

BKGM Jeepers 08-06-2015 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4128693)
You can get through on a 2 dr w/33's. I just went with a tj on 33's with no major issues.

I agree.

Do you have an additional gas tank skid?

BKGM Jeepers 08-06-2015 09:58 AM

If you're new to the area, go on a Barrett Lake trail.

Its fun and a nice day trip as well! Plus it's only open for short periods each year. The Rubicon can be run when the snow melts.

Albino Lizard 08-06-2015 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4130567)
I agree. Do you have an additional gas tank skid?

No gas tank skid. Just stock skid. I've never had any issues.

rampage 08-06-2015 10:18 PM

Please let me know if anyone who plan go to Rubicon trail sometime this month or next month. I would love to join with you (folks). Thanks

rampage 08-06-2015 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4130570)
If you're new to the area, go on a Barrett Lake trail.

Its fun and a nice day trip as well! Plus it's only open for short periods each year. The Rubicon can be run when the snow melts.

I wonder you already gone to Barrett Lake trail recently? How long it take you to complete the trail? Thanks Mark

Albino Lizard 08-06-2015 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by rampage (Post 4130789)
Please let me know if anyone who plan go to Rubicon trail sometime this month or next month. I would love to join with you (folks). Thanks

Going to barrett in september. Its on the norcal thread.

rampage 08-07-2015 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4130792)

Yes, I saw but prefer on weekend since I have to work during business hour from M to F. Thanks

Albino Lizard 08-07-2015 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by rampage (Post 4130856)
Yes, I saw but prefer on weekend since I have to work during business hour from M to F. Thanks

I'm fortunate to have a non-traditional schedule. It definitely limits participation. I should start making some weekend runs, but I love the openness of the trails mid week.

rampage 08-07-2015 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4130878)
I'm fortunate to have a non-traditional schedule. It definitely limits participation. I should start making some weekend runs, but I love the openness of the trails mid week.

Understood. Thank again.

cormac827 08-08-2015 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4130792)

Sweet

BKGM Jeepers 08-12-2015 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by rampage (Post 4130790)
I wonder you already gone to Barrett Lake trail recently? How long it take you to complete the trail? Thanks Mark

~7 miles each way. In and out trail.

Most sections have by-passes. However the middle rock garden does not. I've made the trail in and out with lunch in a day. But most people spend the night at the lake. It's a great trail!

BKGM Jeepers 08-12-2015 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4130878)

What days do you have off? I can do a Rubicon Day trip later in September. I can take most any day off, so long as I'm not traveling for work.

jeepmedic308 08-12-2015 06:49 PM

Im taking a jeep trip from tx to colorado, moab, and plan on taking on the rubicon on the 17th or 18th if anybody is interested.

rampage 08-13-2015 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4132641)
~7 miles each way. In and out trail.

Most sections have by-passes. However the middle rock garden does not. I've made the trail in and out with lunch in a day. But most people spend the night at the lake. It's a great trail!

Thank you for sharing the information with us. :thumbsup:

Fenrir 08-13-2015 01:29 PM

I'll be arriving in Tahoe on 8/28/15 to do some trails. Curious about the Rubicon. Are lockers a must?

I'm a two door JK on 33" with a 2.5" lift. No lockers. I don't want to attempt anything my Jeep has no business doing :) it's my Daily Driver.

orangedude71 08-13-2015 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 4132967)
I'll be arriving in Tahoe on 8/28/15 to do some trails. Curious about the Rubicon. Are lockers a must? I'm a two door JK on 33" with a 2.5" lift. No lockers. I don't want to attempt anything my Jeep has no business doing :) it's my Daily Driver.

I'd say lockers are not a requirement if your going with someone with a tow strap. I wouldn't go past gate keeper alone or without a winch at least

Fenrir 08-14-2015 01:50 PM

Thanks! I'll be going to Tahoe without other Jeeps but figured there would be a lot of other Jeeps around. I may just try Ellis Peak or something instead and wait for the local club to do a run at the Rubicon.

orangedude71 08-14-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 4133285)
Thanks! I'll be going to Tahoe without other Jeeps but figured there would be a lot of other Jeeps around. I may just try Ellis Peak or something instead and wait for the local club to do a run at the Rubicon.

Actually.. you could go to the top of cadillac hill(observation point) from the tahoe side.. Im not a proponent of wheeling alone but that wouldn't be too bad and there is likely to be others coming out that side depending on what day it is..

Albino Lizard 08-14-2015 08:13 PM

I wouldn't attempt the Rubicon without 1 locker. The section between buck island and Rubicon Springs will eat you for breakfast.

orangedude71 08-15-2015 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4133384)
I wouldn't attempt the Rubicon without 1 locker. The section between buck island and Rubicon Springs will eat you for breakfast.

I'm 4 times through with no lockers but I agree. The bottom of big sluice has gotten pretty nasty.

BKGM Jeepers 08-20-2015 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 4133285)

I've run the entire trail without using my lockers. It you are an experienced driver (and have a tow strap and another vehicle with you), you can do it.

The trail is not hard until after Ellis creek. At a minimum you could run through the granite bowl up to Ellis creek (bridge and bathroom) and back out. You can even make it the loop I take people on every spring, where you go in Loon and out wentworth.

BKGM Jeepers 08-20-2015 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4133384)

That entire section is downhill. This assumes you bypass old sleuce and run the slabs. But I do agree that that part of the trail is by far the most fun!

BKGM Jeepers 08-20-2015 02:52 PM

I wanted to confirm no one from here is running Fordyce with me next Wednesday on a day run, right? As it stands now, I won't be looking for anyone from here.

I am awaiting a response to confirm a Friday Barrett Lake Day run as well. It will be in September. I'll post when I have a final date.

It looks like there won't be anyone from this board to have made any day runs with me this summer?!!

Hopefully, Barrett will change that at least....

spinuck 08-20-2015 06:08 PM

Cant make the Wednesday Fordyce, but if you can post the Barrett Lake run a week or two ahead I might be able to make it.

Asinine 08-20-2015 08:11 PM

Please don't give up on us and keep posting up your runs. I'd still like to make one, just depends on the day/date.

Albino Lizard 08-20-2015 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4132643)
What days do you have off? I can do a Rubicon Day trip later in September. I can take most any day off, so long as I'm not traveling for work.

My Sept. calendar is very full due to a trip in Shaver 22-27. Add in Barrett on 10-11 and a fire season that is going off, I may not pull my scheduled trips.

I also have to get my jeep in for a front axle seal and am going to change the gears at the same time. Scheduled for next week.

You are welcome to wheel with us in Shaver if you want. Not 100% on the schedule, but I know we are taking the dusy to Ershim lake and probably hitting the Red lakes area.

BKGM Jeepers 08-20-2015 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4135264)
My Sept. calendar is very full due to a trip in Shaver 22-27. Add in Barrett on 10-11 and a fire season that is going off, I may not pull my scheduled trips.

I also have to get my jeep in for a front axle seal and am going to change the gears at the same time. Scheduled for next week.

You are welcome to wheel with us in Shaver if you want. Not 100% on the schedule, but I know we are taking the dusy to Ershim lake and probably hitting the Red lakes area.

Shaver, like a dusy run? Or, a swamp lake run?

BKGM Jeepers 08-20-2015 09:52 PM

Friday, September 18.
Barrett Lake trail run.
We will meet at dark lake just before 9 am.
And hwy 50 at freshpond chevron at 8 am.

If you camp, just air down at the trailhead parking lot and look for a big orange JKU!

orangedude71 08-20-2015 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4135272)
Friday, September 18. Barrett Lake trail run. We will meet at dark lake just before 9 am. And hwy 50 at freshpond chevron at 8 am. If you camp, just air down at the trailhead parking lot and look for a big orange JKU!

bucket list trail for me. If I'm in town, I'll be there.

spinuck 08-21-2015 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4135272)
Friday, September 18.
Barrett Lake trail run.
We will meet at dark lake just before 9 am.
And hwy 50 at freshpond chevron at 8 am.

If you camp, just air down at the trailhead parking lot and look for a big orange JKU!

I should be in for that. I'll probably meet you at the Chevron.