JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   NorCal (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/norcal-77/)
-   -   2015 day runs across the Rubicon (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/norcal-77/2015-day-runs-across-rubicon-320915/)

BKGM Jeepers 08-21-2015 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by spinuck (Post 4135295)
I should be in for that. I'll probably meet you at the Chevron.

Woo-hoo! It should be fun. I have not run the trail since they re-routed it, so it will be a new experience for everyone!

Albino Lizard 08-21-2015 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4135271)
Shaver, like a dusy run? Or, a swamp lake run?

Yes. We are camping in shaver and driving whatever sounds good each day.

BKGM Jeepers 08-21-2015 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4135321)
Yes. We are camping in shaver and driving whatever sounds good each day.

Dusy is 100 miles round trip to shaver lake. I've run it in a day but it took me like 15 hrs. That's just the trail, not the 33 miles to the trail and the 36 miles afterward back to gas at shaver lake.

I really do like the trail. Awsome scenery and super high elevations.

BKGM Jeepers 08-23-2015 08:31 PM

Ok,
Fordyce is this Wednesday.

Barrett is Friday, Sept 18.

I will do a rubicon loop in early November now

And hopefully a Rubicon day trip later in November

I have a club maintenance run mid October which is on the closed strawberry pass trail.

BKGM Jeepers 08-28-2015 01:57 PM

Epic fail!

Ran Fordyce Wednesday. Made it from the staging area to winch hill 1 in about an hour. One jeep broke it's steering just before the entry to winch hill 1. So we turned around and tried to limp him out. We got back past the water crossing and our fix failed. We then manually steered him up the hill to a turn out so an incoming group could pass. we then sent one of our rigs out to Truckee to get a replacement part while I attempted to pull him out via strap. After driving about 100 yards up the rock section, my rear DL failed.
I disconnected the rear, and ran out on front wheel drive. after about a mile, my front DL failed, so I was stranded. 4 hours later, the fix for the other jeep returned and he was running again. He drove to me and strapped me out.

Once on the freeway on ramp, I called AAA to get a tow. 6pm. after calls and calls and calls, and lies and lies and lies by Sierra tow (they never actually sent me anyone!), my friend called 911 and got a non-sierra tow to get my rig. He showed up at 130 AM. I was home by 245 but had to pay $500 for the tow, and then request reimbursement from AAA. It was a fiasco all the way around. My DLs were rebuilt less than 9 months ago...

the parts are in the show and the request for repayment is before AAA. We will see how much this experience cost me! I'll be ready for the Barrett run however.

Albino Lizard 08-28-2015 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4138158)
Epic fail! Ran Fordyce Wednesday. Made it from the staging area to winch hill 1 in about an hour. One jeep broke it's steering just before the entry to winch hill 1. So we turned around and tried to limp him out. We got back past the water crossing and our fix failed. We then manually steered him up the hill to a turn out so an incoming group could pass. we then sent one of our rigs out to Truckee to get a replacement part while I attempted to pull him out via strap. After driving about 100 yards up the rock section, my rear DL failed. I disconnected the rear, and ran out on front wheel drive. after about a mile, my front DL failed, so I was stranded. 4 hours later, the fix for the other jeep returned and he was running again. He drove to me and strapped me out. Once on the freeway on ramp, I called AAA to get a tow. 6pm. after calls and calls and calls, and lies and lies and lies by Sierra tow (they never actually sent me anyone!), my friend called 911 and got a non-sierra tow to get my rig. He showed up at 130 AM. I was home by 245 but had to pay $500 for the tow, and then request reimbursement from AAA. It was a fiasco all the way around. My DLs were rebuilt less than 9 months ago... the parts are in the show and the request for repayment is before AAA. We will see how much this experience cost me! I'll be ready for the Barrett run however.

I hate those days.

spinuck 08-28-2015 04:47 PM

Epic fail!

Ran Fordyce Wednesday. Made it from the staging area to winch hill 1 in about an hour. One jeep broke it's steering just before the entry to winch hill 1. So we turned around and tried to limp him out. We got back past the water crossing and our fix failed. We then manually steered him up the hill to a turn out so an incoming group could pass. we then sent one of our rigs out to Truckee to get a replacement part while I attempted to pull him out via strap. After driving about 100 yards up the rock section, my rear DL failed.
I disconnected the rear, and ran out on front wheel drive. after about a mile, my front DL failed, so I was stranded. 4 hours later, the fix for the other jeep returned and he was running again. He drove to me and strapped me out.

Once on the freeway on ramp, I called AAA to get a tow. 6pm. after calls and calls and calls, and lies and lies and lies by Sierra tow (they never actually sent me anyone!), my friend called 911 and got a non-sierra tow to get my rig. He showed up at 130 AM. I was home by 245 but had to pay $500 for the tow, and then request reimbursement from AAA. It was a fiasco all the way around. My DLs were rebuilt less than 9 months ago...

the parts are in the show and the request for repayment is before AAA. We will see how much this experience cost me! I'll be ready for the Barrett run however.

Dang, sounds like a rough day. What broke on the steering? sector shaft? I carry an extra steering gear box just in case. Looking forward to running Barrett.

BKGM Jeepers 08-28-2015 07:43 PM

The guy broke a rod end on his drag link.

Those curved drag links are a mistake unless you have a joint with no neck. Otherwise the neck is the weak spot. Hit a rock with this type of design steering and it snaps right off.

It was a rough stuff drag link. My drag link is straight so it won't break like that one did.

Fenrir 08-29-2015 03:57 PM

I'm currently broke down on Ellis Peak. Can't shift into any gears. I made it to Tahoma PDQ, trying to find a jeep to tow me off the trail to a street for a tow truck 😒

Albino Lizard 08-29-2015 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 4138454)
I'm currently broke down on Ellis Peak. Can't shift into any gears. I made it to Tahoma PDQ, trying to find a jeep to tow me off the trail to a street for a tow truck dde12

Auto tranny?

Fenrir 08-29-2015 04:42 PM

Yup, looking for a tow off the trail. Currently at the Tahoma PDQ waiting to see if jeeps stop in for beer, lol. See if some $$$ will get any takers

Albino Lizard 08-29-2015 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 4138463)
Yup, looking for a tow off the trail. Currently at the Tahoma PDQ waiting to see if jeeps stop in for beer, lol. See if some $$$ will get any takers

Huge bummer.

JKZinger 08-29-2015 07:27 PM

Epic fail! Ran Fordyce Wednesday. Made it from the staging area to winch hill 1 in about an hour. One jeep broke it's steering just before the entry to winch hill 1. So we turned around and tried to limp him out. We got back past the water crossing and our fix failed. We then manually steered him up the hill to a turn out so an incoming group could pass. we then sent one of our rigs out to Truckee to get a replacement part while I attempted to pull him out via strap. After driving about 100 yards up the rock section, my rear DL failed. I disconnected the rear, and ran out on front wheel drive. after about a mile, my front DL failed, so I was stranded. 4 hours later, the fix for the other jeep returned and he was running again. He drove to me and strapped me out. Once on the freeway on ramp, I called AAA to get a tow. 6pm. after calls and calls and calls, and lies and lies and lies by Sierra tow (they never actually sent me anyone!), my friend called 911 and got a non-sierra tow to get my rig. He showed up at 130 AM. I was home by 245 but had to pay $500 for the tow, and then request reimbursement from AAA. It was a fiasco all the way around. My DLs were rebuilt less than 9 months ago... the parts are in the show and the request for repayment is before AAA. We will see how much this experience cost me! I'll be ready for the Barrett run however.

Hey Brad, what exactly broke on both your drive lines?

DJ1 08-29-2015 09:37 PM

Damn. Lots of carnage it sounds like this weekend....

Albino Lizard 08-29-2015 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by DJ1 (Post 4138524)
Damn. Lots of carnage it sounds like this weekend....

Kind of glad mine is at the shop. You can't break it if it's already broke.

DJ1 08-29-2015 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard (Post 4138527)
Kind of glad mine is at the shop. You can't break it if it's already broke.

Yup. Glad I've been lazy getting new sliders on after I sold the ace/rubi setup lol.

Fenrir 08-29-2015 11:54 PM

We got out! Ended up just being a shifter linkage issue. Did a bandaid fix :)

Albino Lizard 08-30-2015 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Fenrir (Post 4138540)
We got out! Ended up just being a shifter linkage issue. Did a bandaid fix :)

Awesome!!

spinuck 08-30-2015 06:59 AM

Glad you were able to get it running again.

BKGM Jeepers 08-30-2015 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JKZinger (Post 4138499)
Hey Brad, what exactly broke on both your drive lines?

On the rear DL, the CV flange plate snapped off. On the front DL, an ear broke off the DL when I presume the u joint failed. I had an extra u joint, but it wasn't of any value.

Both my axles and yokes are fine. I get my rebuilt DLs back on Friday.

One note. I had previously upgraded the rear CV joints to sealed service. Neither of them failed, which was pretty cool. I asked the DL shop about that and he said they weren't cross drilled so they were very strong. I never knew that. So I upgraded my front cv to those joints with this work and run them in both cvs now.

BKGM Jeepers 09-04-2015 05:13 PM

DLs are installed. Jeep is back operational and ready for Barrett next Friday.

spinuck 09-04-2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4140431)
DLs are installed. Jeep is back operational and ready for Barrett next Friday.

I still plan on coming.

BKGM Jeepers 09-04-2015 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by spinuck (Post 4140437)
I still plan on coming.

Awesome! Anyone else I should be looking for?

Fresh pond chevron at 8 on Friday!

orangedude71 09-05-2015 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4140458)
Awesome! Anyone else I should be looking for? Fresh pond chevron at 8 on Friday!

I'm still planning on coming. Will try for the 8 at fresh pond as well

BKGM Jeepers 09-14-2015 05:56 PM

Run this Friday!

I'm traveling until Thursday night so I'll see you at fresh pond. 8 am ish...

orangedude71 09-14-2015 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4143059)
Run this Friday!

I'm traveling until Thursday night so I'll see you at fresh pond. 8 am ish...

I'm coming form south bay that morning.. so 4:45 puts me there just around 8 ish.. ill PM you my digits so i can text if something changes

spinuck 09-14-2015 07:07 PM

Need to repair a brake line, but I'm out of town the next couple days. I hope to have it fixed by Thursday night.

Albino Lizard 09-14-2015 07:25 PM

Have fun. Its a pretty nice trail.

orangedude71 09-15-2015 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by spinuck (Post 4143086)
Need to repair a brake line, but I'm out of town the next couple days. I hope to have it fixed by Thursday night.

if it's not done, let me know. Right now my shotgun seat is open. You bring the punk rock and I'll do the driving

srbell0585 09-15-2015 11:37 PM

Hey guys, I have Friday off and can tag along. Live close by too. Still kinda new to off roading. Have a JKUR on a 2.5 stock mod lift and 35's. Would this be suitable for this trail? Based on the length of the trail I assume this is a 1 day trip?

BKGM Jeepers 09-16-2015 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by srbell0585 (Post 4143419)
Hey guys, I have Friday off and can tag along. Live close by too. Still kinda new to off roading. Have a JKUR on a 2.5 stock mod lift and 35's. Would this be suitable for this trail? Based on the length of the trail I assume this is a 1 day trip?

One day trip. You are welcome to attend. Do you have at least one locker? The first obstacle on Barrett is 10 yards in to the trail so you'll find out quickly if you're good to go.

This will be a fun trip and not a fast paced trip. So you can get an idea of a tougher trail instead of stressing because you try to keep up.

spinuck 09-16-2015 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by orangedude71 (Post 4143184)
if it's not done, let me know. Right now my shotgun seat is open. You bring the punk rock and I'll do the driving

Thanks, I'll let you know by tomorrow night.

srbell0585 09-16-2015 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4143448)
One day trip. You are welcome to attend. Do you have at least one locker? The first obstacle on Barrett is 10 yards in to the trail so you'll find out quickly if you're good to go.

This will be a fun trip and not a fast paced trip. So you can get an idea of a tougher trail instead of stressing because you try to keep up.

I have two lockers. Will see you at chevron by 8 on friday. Will be in a white unlimited.

orangedude71 09-16-2015 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by spinuck (Post 4143455)
Thanks, I'll let you know by tomorrow night.

let me know by 8pm ish if you can. If your riding shotgun, I'll drive up crack of dawn on Friday otherwise I'm going up Thursday night around 9 and burning some hotel points at rancho Cordova Hyatt.

Albino Lizard 09-16-2015 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by srbell0585 (Post 4143419)

You should be fine. Expect to scrape your rails in some spots. You may have to winch in one spot I call the 4 door hanger. Other than that you'll get through.

BKGM Jeepers 09-16-2015 02:25 PM

Sounds great! See you all on Friday!

BKGM Jeepers 09-17-2015 02:51 PM

Looks like only the white unlimited is meeting up with us from this board? Correct?

orangedude71 09-17-2015 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers (Post 4143961)
Looks like only the white unlimited is meeting up with us from this board? Correct?

im in

srbell0585 09-17-2015 03:16 PM

Confirming I'll still be there.

orangedude71 09-17-2015 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by orangedude71 (Post 4143964)
im in

with no lockers.. :-)