Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Fordyce: Aug, 2008---(Feeler)

Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fordyce: Aug, 2008---UPDATES

As I know school is starting or already started, everything back to the usual and most of you guys are only available on the weekends. And Labor day weekend is for sure not gonna happen. Fordyce will be jam packed with rigs that I think I would rather get stuck in L.A Traffic instead.

Now. My plan is we find out which of the weekend that is the best for everyone. And what we can do is meet up at the campsite Saturday evening. And then we head out to the trail early in the morning...lets say 6am (campsite is less then a 1 min drive to the trail head) So that way we can finish the trail early and everyone heads home. Will that work for anyone?

Matt says that he will be available this weekend. and I know its a last minute thing...do you guys think its possible? If not lets set a date!

Or maybe everyone call in sick during the week day and wheel!

Here are the people who are interest of doing the run. But un-sure about the date

-MBATF : David
-Rampage: Mark
-brknmach: Matt
-kidjeep : Chip

So if anyone interested of running this trail. Please let me know when would be the best for you.

Preferred group size: 3-5 maybe more if you are well equipped.

About the trail: (info from F.O.F)
"The Fordyce Trail is located at the Eagle Lakes turn off on Highway I-80.

The Fordyce Trail is very difficult. Only well equipped rigs should attempt it. The trail should never be run alone.

There are five "Winch Hills" and three water crossings on the trail. There is an additional water crossing when taking the "cut out" to the Committee Road. All five hills have their own particular difficult aspects and you should be prepared ahead of time with the knowledge of those features. The water crossings can be very hazardous in times of increased water release from the dam. Check the link below for the latest projections and gather knowledge of the proper "lines" to take while crossing.

Someone in your group should have run the trail at least once before.

Make sure you carry adequate food, water and clothing for changing trail and weather conditions or in the event of a break down that requires you to spend more time on the trail than you anticipated. "

I think the water crossing would not be as bad, since we have not gotten any rain since the spring. Water level should be lower the what normally is.

Required:

-Tires: 33" or larger for SWB
35" or larger for LWB
-Lifts: 3" plus
-Proper Skids.
-F&R tow points.
-Locker(s)
-Winch ( at least have 2 in this group)
-Recovery Gear.
-Extra change of cloth (dry, sealed)
-All drivers must be able to assist on spotting during obstacles.
-& whole lot of balls to run this trail without concerning any type of body damage.

The reason why I want to run this trail during the week day is because there aren't many by passes on Fordyce, and it is a popular spot for many, so I do not want to jam up the trail. And I would prefer a small group of 3-5 so we can run it on a faster past without too much of lag. But of course to have any sort of carnage to the minimum.

For more Info of the Fordyce Trail you can visit: fordycetrail.org

Last edited by MBATF; 08-20-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default drooling

Want to go there (Fordyce) on my jeep however I can't take day off during day week.

I think that my jeep is not ready to go there since need to get bigger tires and lift up from 3 to 4 inch.

I wonder if anyone who has JK has gone there this trial lately? Maybe you are the first one attempt to take this trail with your JK jeep?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Most the rig you seen on the pics above are only on 33" or 35" tires.

So.... IF somehow I make this to a weekend run... will you go with me?

OKay...We wont be the first JKs on the Fordyce. But might be the first here at the Forum....unless Eddie got ahead of us again...

Last edited by MBATF; 08-20-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can go during the week, i just need a little heads up. As long as its next week.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Originally Posted by brknmach
I can go during the week, i just need a little heads up. As long as its next week.
Let me know when is the best for you.
And We should have Ramage call in sick to his work lol

Originally Posted by toad
That's some crazy shit! I wish you luck.

Keep the winch controller handy.

Maybe I just don't use my lockers.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm very interested in this trail, I just don't think my Jeep is quite ready for it. I think I would want an extra inch of ground clearance underneath the belly and frame and a few more scratches so I wouldn't care so much. I really like my painted fender flares, but if I didn't have those, things would be a lot easier
Old 08-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Originally Posted by kidjeep
I'm very interested in this trail, I just don't think my Jeep is quite ready for it. I think I would want an extra inch of ground clearance underneath the belly and frame and a few more scratches so I wouldn't care so much. I really like my painted fender flares, but if I didn't have those, things would be a lot easier
Remove them!!!

Plus... we can always use the winch

My buddy's WJ with 33" (same set up as my WJ) made it through a few time. And What I can tell you is that. 6" WJ with 33" is only a bit taller then a stock Rubi/Sahara. SO... therefor, with our 10" longer wbs, 35"+ tires, and 2" plus lift. I really don't see why you can't make it.

So..have I talk you into it yet????

Last edited by MBATF; 08-20-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

I might be crazy enough and grab my pull pal with me and go by myself.

Just so I can check out the trail for you guys.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

I'm out of wheeling commission until I get tires.
& Week day trips are generally out for me as well.

I think the trail has some bypasses but it is still a hard core trail.
I will be curious as to your findings when you report back.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MBATF
Remove them!!!

Plus... we can always use the winch

My buddy's WJ with 33" (same set up as my WJ) made it through a few time. And What I can tell you is that. 6" WJ with 33" is only a bit taller then a stock Rubi/Sahara. SO... therefor, with our 10" longer wbs, 35"+ tires, and 2" plus lift. I really don't see why you can't make it.

So..have I talk you into it yet????
Come to Moab next week with me and we can talk about it more!