Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Regearing Shops in Bay Area

Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RRauzer
ProLine Accessories, San Francisco
Rear End Specialties, Santa Clara
Arabia's Overkill, Campbell

I and others I personally know have used ProLine. Other friends have used RES and Arabia's. I can't remember what paid (3 yrs ago).
I went with Rear End Specialities in Santa Clara. I believe I paid $1200-1300 for my 5.13's installed. They can do the work in a day, plus there is an Enterprise nearby that will pick you up after you drop your jeep off, and drop you back off at the shop after you return the car.

They did a good job on my gear install, but I was annoyed with them because (i) they over-filled my rear diff, and (ii) the guy that booked my appointment forgot to tell someone to order the gears, so I had to wait 3 days instead of one.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

I also recommend Barry at the Rear End Shop in Livermore. He does great work owns his own jeeps and i know from experience if you have any problems down the he will take care off you. you might save 100$ somewhere else, but you also might get some kid doing his first gear install on your rig. choose wisely...
Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Rear end shop in Riverbank by Modesto did mine for $1200 out the door. Not affiliated with the Livermore shop! That guy used to work for him. Excellent work on both my gears and later my ARB locker.
Did you have seals and bearing replaced at same time?
Old 01-26-2014, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GueroDave
Did you have seals and bearing replaced at same time?
No, but I did have him replace axle seals in the front a while later. My ARB was in the back and he also installed the new 35 spline axles at that time. Also did a pinion bearing in my 2001 Grand Cherokee. All excellent work done right the first time!
Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
Hey Jurassic, let me know who you end up going with. Need to get mine done also.
Not yet. I haven't been home long enough. Hopefully sometime in March after my current project quiets down.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

FYI, Shaffers Offroad (Alameda) is having a deal right now on front and rear Yukon regearing for $799.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RRauzer
FYI, Shaffers Offroad (Alameda) is having a deal right now on front and rear Yukon regearing for $799.
Thanks! I'm home this week. I'll have to call them tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Yep, i made my appointment for the 3rd at Shaffers. I went down to talk to him. He knows his stuff. He is also changing one of my leaky axle seals. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Last edited by JKJody; 01-27-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Spoke to Mike from Shaffer's this morning. He does the work himself and backs it up with a 1 year warranty, so there's no $15/hr kid doing it.

I'm dropping mine off on Sunday and picking it up on Feb 7th.

Note to the guys that are not running the Rubicons w/ 4.10's, you will need a new carrier ~$90. Since I have to change the carrier anyway, I'm opting to go with a Yukon Grizzly locker in the rear (2yr warranty on the locker + liability for damage a failure might cause to other components).
Old 02-01-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SOFTAILFP
The rearend shop in Livermore did my jeep 456 installed $1550.out the door. They treated my jeep as if it was the own.

Would not go anywhere else.
Second that. Barry is great, and takes the time to do it right.

Quick Reply: Regearing Shops in Bay Area