Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Slickrock Trail Run - Sunday 07/20/08

Old 07-14-2008, 08:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Slickrock Trail Run - Sunday 07/20/08

Well, if you missed our last trail run up to Signal Peak, you gotta make our next run up the Slickrock Trail this coming Sunday, July 20th. If you've never done this trail before, it is by far one of the prettiest in the area. Along the way, we will get to enjoy the cool waters of Silver Creek flowing across giant slabs of granite, do some fun crawling through rock gardens and see outstanding views across the Stanislaus National Forest. For a report of the trip we did on this trail last year, click on the link below:

Slickrock Trail Report 2007

Slickrock is a 'difficult' rated trail but from experience, I can tell you that a stock rubicon can do this trail without any problems as well as any slightly modified JK for that matter with the biggest requirement being a set of rocker guards just in case. The weather should be great and the smoke down to a minimal out there if not non-existant. Being that this trail is remote, it will be an all day event so please plan for it. In other words, pack a lunch and snacks to last all day and dress in layers as it can be quite cool by morning and night but hot by day. Also, make sure to bring plenty of water to drink.

If you think you might be interested in joining us, we will be meeting at the Slickrock trailhead at 9:30am. There is gas available off highway 4 in Bear Valley just before the Lake Alpine Rd. turn off and if you need to top off, that would be the place to do it.

Directions to the trailhead:
Take highway 4 to Lake Alpine which is just north of Bear Valley. Make a right turn onto the Alpine Lake Rd. which is on the west end of the lake (click on the link below to see a google map of this turnoff):

HWY 4 & Alpine Lake Rd.

After you make your turn, follow the signs to Lake Alpine Campground, head south staying to the right as the road branches to the left. When you get to the bike trail that goes to the right, stay to the left. Bear right when you come up to the Blue Cabin and then right again when you come up to the private drive. Follow the narrow road to the well marked trailhead. Total distance from highway 4 is about 3/4 of a mile. If you have a GPS, the trailhead coordinates are:

38 28 8.0 120 0 36.9

I will post more information about this run as they develop. If you have any questions, please post them here.

Who's Coming List:
1. WOL & WOLette
2. DizzyLiz
3. brknmach
4. MBATF
5. kidjeep
6. R8R ROK
7. PeeJ_Zip

Maybe List:
1. Rampage

Last edited by wayoflife; 07-18-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

You know I am in

The smoke has pretty much cleared where I am at.
Lets keep our fingers crossed it stays this way.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in as well, see you all this Sunday!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi

Thumbs up This afternoon

I decided to bite the bullet and have my CB professionally installed rather than attempting it myself with Sean's help... It has been put off long enough.

Besides being useful on the trail...Now I'll know where all the Smokey's are
Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice Liz, I am going probably today or tomorrow to pick up my CB radio!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brknmach
I am in as well, see you all this Sunday!!!
Right on brknmach

Originally Posted by brknmach
Nice Liz, I am going probably today or tomorrow to pick up my CB radio!
I was bummed that I didn't have mine in this last Saturday.
It would have served well in a couple spots.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Why are you all the way across tthe country... I looved at last years photos and here in Flatcala, Florida, it just isn't that pretty...

I need to make a long road trip...

Have Fun and Be Safe....
Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

After Saturday, I've been thinking about trying to find a co-worker to cover my call on Sunday...It's a lot to ask, but I may get a taker and join in?

Between the name of the trail and the pictures from last year, it's gonna be brutal knowing ya'll are out there!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Alpha Expedition

Just as I expected...my mother decide to fly to US TOMORROW!!!!

I will do my best and make the trip....Can't promise anything right now...I really really want to go!!!!!

And If I do show I think I will be camp over night again.

Last edited by MBATF; 07-14-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by R8R ROK
Anyone know how long this run will take? I really want to make it but I am not sure about the logistics and my ability/capability. I have had my JK since October. I have done a bunch of Moderate trails with a few small sections of difficult trails in Hollister / Death Valley and the Downieville/Sierra City area. I have a Sahara (No lockers) with the Rubicon Tires / Rubicon Rock rails / Tera Flex 2.5" budget boost / Ranch 9000 shocks. This sounds like a lot of fun. I just don't want to get in over my head. Especially because I will need to bring my wife and kids along. It sounds like an awesome trip that I would love to make. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Stacy

Read the trail report(link in first post) from last year and I think you'll feel more comfortable in trying this trail. It sounds like it would be just right for you. I believe it said 3 hours on the trail. Forget your driving experience and perceived lack of equipment and trust in the JK!

Quick Reply: Slickrock Trail Run - Sunday 07/20/08