Notices
NorCal If you live in Northern California and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum Jeepers near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Swamp Lake/Bald Mountain August 15-16

Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Cyrus! Sorry you guys can't make it this weekend. We need to get something together for all the NorCal people so that I can finally start meeting all of you guys in person, even if it's just going out for drinks some time after work.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by FlameRed
Thanks Cyrus! Sorry you guys can't make it this weekend. We need to get something together for all the NorCal people so that I can finally start meeting all of you guys in person, even if it's just going out for drinks some time after work.
Hey guys I have some jobs lined up for Saturday AM if not I would like to go. I have been hitting alot of trails all over the last few months. So wheeling close to home will be cool. As far as drinks after work count me in.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

I'll be up that part of the woods tomorrow, I was going to go to Courtright tomorrow to fish but maybe I will see you guys sunday for Bald, I'll try to call you but no service way up there
Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Jedi

Eddie was talking Ducy in aug. maybe he will see this and post up.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
Eddie was talking Ducy in aug. maybe he will see this and post up.
I'm in for a Dusy run in the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Just got back from Swamp, too tired to take a stab at Bald. Will be posting a thread soon as I can get the pics loaded.

It was a lot harder than we thought it would be, luckily we found a group of about 6 Jeeps and 4 Toyotas that invited us to join them. They guy leading the group (Fred) just happened to be the park ranger in charge of OHV trail maintainance for the southern central valley. Dude was awesome, has 9 Jeeps, including the Jeepster Commander he was driving that day.

According to Fred, given current trail conditions, Swamp is the 3rd hardest trail to do in CA. For the people talking about doing Dusy, he said that currently that is the hardest trail, followed by Rubicon.

Our damage was minimal: leaving more than our fair share of skid plates behind, some wheel and tire chunks, as well as scratching up our fenders. We had to get winched out one time when we slipped off a rock and got the front differential stuck between two rocks. We were pretty lucky, one guy bust a bead and screwed his wheel up pretty bad, fun to watch Fred pop the tire back on with some WD-40 and a lighter. Another guy's entire rear left wheel fell off when his lug nuts got too loose, took two jacks and a winch to get the rear end up high enough to put it back on. One guy got so close to flipping his Toyota that we all stopped breathing for a sec.

Overall great time, but very challenging. Took over 8 hours with almost no stops (other than to deal with the tire and wheel that fell off). At the end, the group invited us to the BBQ they were throwing and we ended the night with some great tri-tip and a live band!
Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Flamered...glad you made it out ok and looking forward to pics
Old 08-16-2009, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

wow... I am lucky I was low on gas yesterday...I guess i would have gotten into trouble out there...I didn't know it was the third hardest...ok...now I have 3 HAVE to do trails
Old 08-16-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...00#post1290000

Sorry, the explaination is mostly the same, I got lazy. Here are some of the hundreds of pics I took though.

Quick Reply: Swamp Lake/Bald Mountain August 15-16