Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

2008 2 Door JK Needs Hardtop - Thoughts/Suggestions?

Old 10-17-2016, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 2 Door JK Needs Hardtop - Thoughts/Suggestions?

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum, looking to get a hardtop for my 08 2 door JK. I like the look of the hard tops a lot more and the wind noise with the 08 soft top is crazy loud. Looking for a reputable manufacturer, to cut down on wind noise, and get rid of the annoying leaks i get with the soft top. My three options are:

DV8 Off Road Ranger 2 Piece
DV8 Off-Road Wrangler 2 Piece Hard Top HT07SB22 (07-17 Wrangler JK 2 Door) - Free Shipping

Rally Top 1 Piece
Rally Tops 1-Piece Wrangler Hardtop XTR-WRANGLERJK2DR (07-17 Wrangler JK 2 Door) - Free Shipping

Freedom 3 Piece
MOPAR 3 Piece Freedom Top for 07-08 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door | Quadratec

Any thoughts (especially on the DV8 top) would be greatly appreciated!

PS. Any jeep friends in the Boise area looking to meet up?!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow those are really expensive. If you're going to spend that kind of money, I'd definitely research the two non-Mopar brands a lot. The freedom panels on the OE top can leak, mine did. I added a bunch of extra weatherstrip and that seemed to help seal it up better. I'd sell you mine for $600 if you're interested. The passenger side freedom panel is cracked since I bounced it off a tree. I've been running it that way for a couple years now, you can run it or buy a new panel for about $350 from the dealer. Still be into it a lot less then new.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

If you could wait a bit, occasionally you can find a great deal on your local craigslist. Also you could search for the facebook group "Jeep Wrangler JK Parts Buy/Sell/Trade" people sell them on there too
Old 10-27-2016, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same bubble this past winter. My wife really wanted the hardtop, so I kept an eye out on Craigslist. There seems to always be more JKUs (4-door) hardtops than 2-dr ones, but every now and then you'll get lucky. We did. Picked it up for $800. Was a nice alternative to buying new for $2K+ and it's in good shape. Unfortunately, we do still get some occasional leaks, but much less severe than we had in the soft-top.

As a heads up, if you get the stock hardtop, you'll also need to pick up the Hardtop Wiring Kit (MOPAR Hardtop Wiring Kit for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with OE MOPAR® Hardtop & AC | Quadratec) if you want to use the rear wiper blade and defroster. I haven't gotten one yet as the top is fine without it and we don't get much frost where I'm at.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^That's true. Also, if you get a top off CL that is for a later Jeep than '08 you will need to move your footman loop.

MOPAR Hardtop Adapter Kit for 07-08 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited | Quadratec

I would get a factory one off CL myself as well.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mdash
Wow those are really expensive. If you're going to spend that kind of money, I'd definitely research the two non-Mopar brands a lot. The freedom panels on the OE top can leak, mine did. I added a bunch of extra weatherstrip and that seemed to help seal it up better. I'd sell you mine for $600 if you're interested. The passenger side freedom panel is cracked since I bounced it off a tree. I've been running it that way for a couple years now, you can run it or buy a new panel for about $350 from the dealer. Still be into it a lot less then new.
Yes, yes they are... But its something i planned on buying when i got the jeep. I am intrigued with you offer though a little wary... I have seen a few used tops for sale but they are in really rough shape. I'm fine with a few dents and dings... is the crack the only real issue? Also not sure how i would get it to Idaho if you're in WA
Old 10-27-2016, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LoboMike
I was in the same bubble this past winter. My wife really wanted the hardtop, so I kept an eye out on Craigslist. There seems to always be more JKUs (4-door) hardtops than 2-dr ones, but every now and then you'll get lucky. We did. Picked it up for $800. Was a nice alternative to buying new for $2K+ and it's in good shape. Unfortunately, we do still get some occasional leaks, but much less severe than we had in the soft-top.

As a heads up, if you get the stock hardtop, you'll also need to pick up the Hardtop Wiring Kit (MOPAR Hardtop Wiring Kit for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK with OE MOPAR® Hardtop & AC | Quadratec) if you want to use the rear wiper blade and defroster. I haven't gotten one yet as the top is fine without it and we don't get much frost where I'm at.
Yeah there's a ton of 4 doors, but i'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the tip

Trending Topics

Old 10-27-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
^^^That's true. Also, if you get a top off CL that is for a later Jeep than '08 you will need to move your footman loop.

MOPAR Hardtop Adapter Kit for 07-08 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited | Quadratec

I would get a factory one off CL myself as well.
I've been wondering about that footman loop placement so thank you for that!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by keni
I've been wondering about that footman loop placement so thank you for that!
No problem. Too bad you're not closer I'd sell you my perfect condition 4 month take-off for $1500.

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-27-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by keni
Yes, yes they are... But its something i planned on buying when i got the jeep. I am intrigued with you offer though a little wary... I have seen a few used tops for sale but they are in really rough shape. I'm fine with a few dents and dings... is the crack the only real issue? Also not sure how i would get it to Idaho if you're in WA
The crack/damage on the freedom panel is really the only major issue. It has a scratch on the passenger side from a stick that wore the black off so it shows through some white. Otherwise, there are the usual brush pinstripes and it's dusty from sitting in storage for over a year now. As for pickup, you can drive over here with your soft top on, I'll help you install the hardtop and you drive home. Your soft top will fit inside in the down position with the hardtop installed.

I don't know about the footman loop difference. My jeep is an 09. It has the two latches that latch above each sunvisor then there is a lever that pivots from one of the freedom panels over the loop in the center. Do the 07-08's not have that loop or is the plastic different?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1313.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	659849Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1315.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	659850Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1316.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	4.03 MB
ID:	659851Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1317.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	659852Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1318.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	659853Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1319.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	659854Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	659855Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1321.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	659856Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1324.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	659857

Quick Reply: 2008 2 Door JK Needs Hardtop - Thoughts/Suggestions?