Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Any spelunkers?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any spelunkers?

Are they any spelunkers here on the forum in WA. I would like to get Into this, just would like some help with what I need and good places to go exploring.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0BigBlue7
Are they any spelunkers here on the forum in WA. I would like to get Into this, just would like some help with what I need and good places to go exploring.
Wish I could help ya. I have some friends who are really really into it and I have gone with them a few times but we are out in Pa. So I couldn't point ya anywhere.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cjsmith4
Wish I could help ya. I have some friends who are really really into it and I have gone with them a few times but we are out in Pa. So I couldn't point ya anywhere.
Thanks anyways! I'm sure it's a good time right? Some pretty cool stuff?
Old 05-12-2013, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0BigBlue7
Thanks anyways! I'm sure it's a good time right? Some pretty cool stuff?
It is an awesome time! Nothing like being underground that deep. You've never experienced darkness until your 50 feet underground and everyone turns off their headlamps.

First time I went we had to army crawl on our stomachs for about 20 yards down through a tiny hole in the ground we could barely find in the first place. I would surly have gotten lost inside the cave if it wasn't for the friends I was with. They had been in that cave before. There were some really sketchy places in there. Not the time that I went with, but a different time, one of my friends who was very experienced and spelunking for many years was trapped and couldn't move for over a half hour. It took some work to get him out.

Moral of the story...(just like offroading) find someone who is experienced and let them teach ya some things before ya go. And don't ever ever go alone. Other than that, have fun!!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cjsmith4

It is an awesome time! Nothing like being underground that deep. You've never experienced darkness until your 50 feet underground and everyone turns off their headlamps.

First time I went we had to army crawl on our stomachs for about 20 yards down through a tiny hole in the ground we could barely find in the first place. I would surly have gotten lost inside the cave if it wasn't for the friends I was with. They had been in that cave before. There were some really sketchy places in there. Not the time that I went with, but a different time, one of my friends who was very experienced and spelunking for many years was trapped and couldn't move for over a half hour. It took some work to get him out.

Moral of the story...(just like offroading) find someone who is experienced and let them teach ya some things before ya go. And don't ever ever go alone. Other than that, have fun!!
Awesome, great story and advice, thank you!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out the ape caves near cougar, washington.
And down near bend oregon there is another huge cave near the high desert museum. Ive been to both in the summer and it pretty interesting. Dress warm, it stays pretty cold down there even in the summer.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatboy044
Check out the ape caves near cougar, washington.
And down near bend oregon there is another huge cave near the high desert museum. Ive been to both in the summer and it pretty interesting. Dress warm, it stays pretty cold down there even in the summer.
Cool, I will look into those, thanks for the tip. Any advice on what gear would be good to take, besides the obvious, multiple lights, energy boosting snacks and water.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lights is really all we had, they are both pretty easy and even have ladders and railings in spots but still cool.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Find the local Grotto of the National Speleological Society. They will have more information than you want. Also the grottos have access to cave locations the average person would never get alone.

Equipment depends on the cave. The basics are a helmet, three sources of light, and clothing that suit the cave. If it's a vertical cave or pit you'll need to be trained for proper use of ropes. The most important thing is never cave alone.

Quick Reply: Any spelunkers?