Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

PNW what was done to your jeep this week

Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got crafty this week

I've been feeling the need to "build" something lately, so I decided to fab up a new light mount. I started with two pieces of metal that I cut and bent with my 4.5" angle grinder, a vice and a hammer until I got the basic shape I wanted. Here is a picture of the light test fit.

With the basic mounting points plotted on my sample brackets I was able to take those into work and replicate so they looked a little nicer. I spent a couple lunch hours cutting, measuring and bending on the sheer and the brake. Here the new brackets are bolted to themselves and they are perfect oposites.

Test fit and confirmed they'll work.

Painted in my home made paint booth.

Finished the install and I'm pretty happy. I removed the round lights that I had mounted on the bumper and since the wiring was already run for those I was able to splice into that exhisiting wiring with ease. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdash
I've been feeling the need to "build" something lately, so I decided to fab up a new light mount. I started with two pieces of metal that I cut and bent with my 4.5" angle grinder, a vice and a hammer until I got the basic shape I wanted. Here is a picture of the light test fit. With the basic mounting points plotted on my sample brackets I was able to take those into work and replicate so they looked a little nicer. I spent a couple lunch hours cutting, measuring and bending on the sheer and the brake. Here the new brackets are bolted to themselves and they are perfect oposites. Test fit and confirmed they'll work. Painted in my home made paint booth. Finished the install and I'm pretty happy. I removed the round lights that I had mounted on the bumper and since the wiring was already run for those I was able to splice into that exhisiting wiring with ease. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
Good work. Looks awesome.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good broham!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 01-23-2015, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Thank you, thank you!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spent most of the day installing my new knuckles which went surprisingly easy. The process that slowed me down the most was reinstalling the RCV boots and the brakes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3087.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	594254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3088.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	594255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3089.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	594256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3091.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	594257  
Old 01-28-2015, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronin2120
Spent most of the day installing my new knuckles which went surprisingly easy. The process that slowed me down the most was reinstalling the RCV boots and the brakes.
Ha! Those boots are a total pain in the butt! I installed rcv's on my last jeep and hope to get them again for this one. I had one boot crack on me after about 6 months and they sent me a new one. I ended up loosing the installation tool so it was super fun.

I'm curious as I see quite a few folks upgrading the knuckles - what's the benefit of this? Are you able to use bigger, stronger bearings?
Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Running the Reid Knuckles raises the the Tie rod 3" so that its about even with your axle tube. The knuckle is set up to run a flipped drag link without any drilling.

As far as strength compared to the stock JK its certainly beefier and stronger but I don't see anyone breaking a stock knuckle without breaking other components as well. Its also more of a prep for the future when I decide to go hydro assist.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:17 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Tweakin
Couldn't fight the temptation to swap out the stock wheels. Added the black AEV center caps and recently removed the stock bumper end caps.
That anvil color is awesome
Old 01-29-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronin2120
We need a full frontal picture. I want to see how high the tie rod is now and how visible them shiny orange knuckles are.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdash
We need a full frontal picture.
Now now mark: let's keep it PG!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: PNW what was done to your jeep this week