Notices
Northwest If you live in the North West (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Portland Area Trails

Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Portland Area Trails

I just moved out here from Virginia and looking for some good places to go wheeling. What are the best places to go and what do they offer? I'm willing to travel a couple hours if needed.

Thanks in advance......
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TSF... Tillamook State Forest.. Just West Of Portland.. its the best.. AKA Browns Camp...

Last edited by 1BADJK; 09-24-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BackInBlack
I just moved out here from Virginia and looking for some good places to go wheeling. What are the best places to go and what do they offer? I'm willing to travel a couple hours if needed.

Thanks in advance......
Sent '07JK fan a PM he wheels out there and can tell you all about it. He lives up there as well as Rugbyduck and a couple more. I've been to Browns camp but that was a long time ago. Welcome to Oregon by the way.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info rupedog. I love Oregon so far and the salmon are starting to run, I think this was a good move.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a link to a very large (1.3M) jpg of the Tillamook State Forest Off-Highway Vehicle Trail Map

http://159.121.125.11/tsf/ohvmap.htm

and here is a link to a (2.2M) pdf file

http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/docs/ohv_map_04.pdf

also some more info of offroad areas in Oregon

http://search.oregon.gov/query.html?...=allore&qt=ohv
Old 09-30-2007, 12:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I lived in Portland for 10 years so just to give you some more info, OR requires you to have an OHV (off highway vehicle) sticker for your rig and it used to cost like $13, not sure what it cost these days. The nice thing about this fee is that it is actually used to maintain the Jeep/ATV trails so it is money well spent and if you are caught with out one it was $100 fine.

There are quite a few clubs in Oregon you will just have to get on Google and do some searching, but I will give you some info on the ones that I know about in the Portland area.

Oregon Bushhackers - This is more of an informal club that has members that drive every kind of rig made. They do have a web site but I don't think it has been updated in years because most of the stuff is done on the Yahoo groups (basically an email list) You should be able to find the web site and Yahoo group with a simple search. Nice thing about this group is there are no fees, meetings, mandatory trail runs, or any of the other crap that goes along with most clubs. However, 98% of the post/emails are just crap and not a lot to do with wheeling but at least it is a good place to meet people.

Oregon Brush-Busters - Don't know too much about this group but I think they are more formal with meetings and stuff. Most of the people in this group tend to have more modified rigs and most of the ones I have met on the trails tend to be arrogant pricks with that "your rig is not worthy, don't talk to me" attitude, but hey maybe they have changed or you might have better luck with them.

Hope this helps and have fun on the trails. I will leave you with a picture of my XJ out at TSF (I kind of miss that place)

Old 09-30-2007, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dougr5150
I lived in Portland for 10 years so just to give you some more info, OR requires you to have an OHV (off highway vehicle) sticker for your rig and it used to cost like $13, not sure what it cost these days. The nice thing about this fee is that it is actually used to maintain the Jeep/ATV trails so it is money well spent and if you are caught with out one it was $100 fine.

There are quite a few clubs in Oregon you will just have to get on Google and do some searching, but I will give you some info on the ones that I know about in the Portland area.

Oregon Bushhackers - This is more of an informal club that has members that drive every kind of rig made. They do have a web site but I don't think it has been updated in years because most of the stuff is done on the Yahoo groups (basically an email list) You should be able to find the web site and Yahoo group with a simple search. Nice thing about this group is there are no fees, meetings, mandatory trail runs, or any of the other crap that goes along with most clubs. However, 98% of the post/emails are just crap and not a lot to do with wheeling but at least it is a good place to meet people.

Oregon Brush-Busters - Don't know too much about this group but I think they are more formal with meetings and stuff. Most of the people in this group tend to have more modified rigs and most of the ones I have met on the trails tend to be arrogant pricks with that "your rig is not worthy, don't talk to me" attitude, but hey maybe they have changed or you might have better luck with them.

Hope this helps and have fun on the trails. I will leave you with a picture of my XJ out at TSF (I kind of miss that place)

Thanks for all the info dougr5150.... I need to get a sticker quick. This place is awesome, a little wet, but still great. I grew up in the mountains of VA so the terrain is similiar, which is what I like. I actually went hiking near Brown's Camp in the TSF a couple weeks ago, but I didn't realize how close I was to some great wheeling. It only takes about 30 minutes or so to get there from my house. I'll be heading that way again this weekend, but to fish near the coast. Thanks again for everything. I'll be doing some research on the Oregon Bushhackers, because I don't care to wheel with arrogant pricks if you know what I mean.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I love Oregon so far and the salmon are starting to run, I think this was a good move."

Yeah, I hope you feel the same after you don't see the sun for 3 months and it rains every night and day while the temp stays at a constant 40 degrees. See how your love affair feels then... heh heh
Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Hey! Welcome to Oregon! I'd love to have you tag along for some trail rides! The pics don't do the trails justice. When wet, the double black diamond runs are off limits...in my mind. When dry, my JK has been able to do all but one! PM me your address/phone and we can get together!
Click image for larger version

Name:	087 - Copy.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	3608

Name:	068 - Copy.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	3609

Name:	062 - Copy.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	3610

Name:	063 - Copy.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	3611
Old 10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Heres a video of Tillamook when the snow is still on the ground. I'm the idiot behind the camera and apparently the same person with his tongue hanging out. http://youtube.com/watch?v=h7eYq3_dbIA

Most of the guys in the video run Tillamook several times a month. I normally drive up from WA to hang out with them.

Quick Reply: Portland Area Trails